Corrupted Inbox file? Reported Error (0x80042110) Article 299496

Discussion in 'Microsoft Outlook Discussion' started by Guest, Jul 29, 2007.

    Busy board - my question has been buried. I'm reposting the last thread
    (below) in the hopes that someone can help? THANKS!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    Thank you, but perhaps I wasn't clear?? I already HAVE a .pst file.
    It was the MSFT fix article (299496) that said to look for a .dbx file. So
    may question still is, how do I fix my problem (see error code)? As the
    article suggests, do I rename the .pst file (say, Outlook.old) then restart
    Outlook? And, then, how do I get my inbox data back from Outlook.old? Do I
    simple import the data from the .old into the new .pst file???

    Perhaps there's a fix article for Outlook (not Express)?

    Thanks !!!

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Diane Poremsky" wrote:

    > dbx is for outlook express, not outlook.
    >
    > change the file name to something that ends in .pst and open it using file,
    > open...
    >
    > --
    > Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
    >
    > Outlook Tips by email:

    "PortMgr" <> wrote in message
    Started receiving the following error in Outlook:

    Task 'pop.att.yahoo.com - Receiving' reported error (0x80042110) : 'Your
    POP3 server is providing inconsistent information. The number of messages
    returned by the STAT command does not match the number of items returned
    by the UIDL or LIST commands. Contact your POP3 or Internet services
    provider.'

    Article 299496 seems to describe the problem (corrupted inbox) and a
    solution, but... Article says to find "Inbox.mbx or Inbox.dbx." I do not
    have either of these files - my mail seems to reside in the file,
    C:/windows/Outlook.pst.

    Also, article doesn't tell (after I've changed the file name) to get back
    my data/mail???

    Thanks!!!!!!!!

    Guest, Jul 29, 2007

    Do you leave copies of some or all of your mail on your mail server after
    downloading it to Outlook? If so, one of the messages on the server might be
    corrupt. Go to the mail server through its webmail client and see if you can
    find any messages from around the time the problem started...delete or move
    them and then see if Outlook can receive again.

    --
    Jocelyn Fiorello
    MVP - Outlook

    Guest, Jul 29, 2007

    RE: Corrupted Inbox file? Reported Error (0x80042110) Article 2994

    After spending endless time on with tier 2 support from AT&T for this
    problem, you are the one who solved it.

    AT&T kept telling me it was a corrupt Outlook file, but after taking all the
    steps to make sure that it was not, they would not consider that something on
    the server side was the problem. I had explained that I was getting this
    error on both my laptop & desktop--one is running Outlook 2003 & the other is
    2007--so how could 2 separate computers have the same error?

    I moved all of my web mail to a "keep" folder and now I can receive in
    Outlook again. Why didn't level 2 support know about this and how can they be
    informed to assist others with this problem? I informed by them that I should
    just use their web mail interface. How is that for audacity?

    Guest, Aug 10, 2007

    RE: Corrupted Inbox file? Reported Error (0x80042110) Article 2994

    Perhaps they never use their own software. Sadly that seems to be very
    common with help desk folks (I used to work for a software company and nobody
    seemed to have the time to train us to use our own product properly). We
    Outlook MVPs (and many others who answer questions here) actually use the
    product, find our own bugs, and learn from what others have found. It helps
    :)

    --
    Jocelyn Fiorello
    MVP - Outlook