Correct missing fixed font, missing registry data

Discussion in 'Windows XP Embedded' started by Mark Kraft, Jul 7, 2003.

  1. Mark Kraft

    Mark Kraft Guest

    Hi,

    I have posted on this at least twice in last two weeks regarding my
    application not using the system fixed font and how to correct this problem.
    The application runs correctly under XP Pro but not XPe. I was finally able
    to track down the problem. There are at least two registry entries missing.
    I am surprised these are missing since they appear to be critical if an
    application uses these stock fonts. It is not enought that they are in the
    font directory.

    Where I now need help is modifying the vgafix_fon component of Windows to
    add the registry data. How can I modify this component? Or do I create a new
    component?

    I added both entries, so I am not yet sure if both are needed to correct the
    problem. I added them manually to the registry to get the application to use
    the correct font. The registry entries are:

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Hardware
    Profiles\Current\Software\Fonts]
    "FONTS.FON"="VGASYS.FON"
    "FIXEDFON.FON"="VGAFIX.FON"
    "OEMFONT.FON"="VGAOEM.FON"

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
    NT\CurrentVersion\GRE_Initialize]
    "FONTS.FON"="VGASYS.FON"
    "FIXEDFON.FON"="VGAFIX.FON"
    "OEMFONT.FON"="VGAOEM.FON"

    Thanks

    --
    Mark Kraft
    Design Engineer

    Mark Kraft, Jul 7, 2003

  2. Mark Kraft

    Brad Combs Guest

    Mark,

    It will be easier to create your own component, and I'm sure that if the
    registry entries are in fact missing the guys at MS can file a bug for you.
    HTH,

    Brad Combs
    Imago Technologies

    Brad Combs, Jul 7, 2003

  3. I'll take Brad's challenge, and raise the ante a bit.

    Fonts have been a difficult issue in XP Embedded; I build
    runtime images too. I have wanted to publish a font
    related whitepaper for sometime, and will work to get one
    out later this year.

    David

    David Reed \(MS\), Jul 9, 2003