Copyright on photos when taken to photo labs

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Read this...http://apnews.myway.com//article/20050616/D8AORP2O0.html

This happened to me when i went to an Asda with a photo lab instore, to get an enlargement of a very nice photo i took back in 2001 of my mums dog...I wanted it blown up poster size and my photo printer only prints to A4, so went along to Asda and left the print with them and instructions on the size of the blow-up..And continued to do my shopping, when i got back to the labs counter i was informed that they would not be able to reproduce the Image without the owners permission, i then told them i was the owner of the print and i took the photo, they disbelieved me and refused point blank to print and even wanted to keep the original photograph...

I then went home and came back with my full camera kit costing in excess of £1250 and showed them countless prints and a small portfolio..

The manager then agreed to print the enlargement for me but only after i had shown him Identification..What a Palava...

It has become much easier to produce stunning shots on the most basic digital Equipment, and software such as photoshop and others have also helped the average man in the street produce very good Quality photo's... So any of you budding Amateur photographers out there think carefully before handing your snaps over..you may not get them back if you can't prove you took the shots...;)

Reaction score
Wow, I can't believe that really happened. Hmmm.... I might have beena bigger pain. I would have gone to your Mums and gotten the Dog too. Then I may have haggled a bit for a better price on the reprint. Its amazing how quick the store was to basically call you a theif, but I bet their appology was less than adequate.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thats crazy, but a compliment in a way I guess ;)

Cache-man

Wannabe Webmaster
Reaction score
Thats just rediculous. I just wouldn't use them again, and also make sure they get lots of bad press on forums like these.

Ask a Question