    Samsung site for a utility but I do not see any thing. Is this even
    possible. Windows XP. Thank you.

    Sammy Castagna

    Sammy Castagna, Jan 28, 2005

  2. "Sammy Castagna" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Is there a way to copy C to F my two hard disk letters. And then boot off
    > of F? I think C is going bad. They are both Samsung 40g I have looked at
    > the Samsung site for a utility but I do not see any thing. Is this even
    > possible. Windows XP. Thank you.

    You'd have to use a 3rd party program like Norton Ghost.

    Patrick Michael, Jan 28, 2005

  3. Here's a question that might help this thread.

    I use Ghost boot disks to copy NTFS source partitions to image files on
    FAT32 destination partitions. My version of Ghost (7.5) does not write
    disk images to NTFS. Does version 9.0 support writing to NTFS?
    Simply put, using Ghost, how should Sammy format drive F:?

    Tom Penharston, Jan 28, 2005
  4. Tom,
    I have not went and bought it yet because I am unsure. Could I not format F
    with windows xp. I really want to get this machine fixed but I do not want
    to waste money. I thought it was the controller so I bought a ata 133 to pci
    card and changed the cable but it is still hanging and got the can not read
    C drive it has to be C going bad there is nothing left is there?

    Sammy Castagna

    Sammy Castagna, Jan 28, 2005
  5. Sammy

    Why do you thinks the hard drive is beginning to fail? Who is the
    manufacturer of the hard drive and what is the model?

    --

    ~~~~~~

    Hope this helps.

    Gerry
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    FCA

    Stourport, Worcs, England
    Enquire, plan and execute.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Please tell the newsgroup how any
    suggested solution worked for you.

    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    Gerry Cornell, Jan 29, 2005
  6. Gerry
    It is a Samsung SPO411N, I thought it was the controller so I bought a ata

    Sammy Castagna, Jan 29, 2005
  7. Windows XP has a choice of two different kinds of partition FORMATS. A
    format is like a grid or a map on the hard drive. It's like note book
    paper with lines. Or graph paper. Hard drives must be formatted,
    otherwise the data would get lost in the vast space of the disk. The
    hard drive is mapped into useable spaces.

    FAT32 is the "old fashioned" hard disk format, access to information is
    slow
    NTFS is the newer format, faster with security, there is a big
    difference

    Get "properties" on your hard disk to find out which format you are
    using
    Better, yet... check Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Computer
    Management, Disk Management

    Ghost will work on the source (C:) regardless of which format you are
    using, it supports SOURCE with FAT32 or NTFS

    The DESTINATION partition is "F". I'm not sure what format F needs to
    be. Sorry, I just never used Ghost for your exact situation.
    Hopefully someone will tell us.

    Tom Penharston, Jan 29, 2005
  8. Sammy

    Does the information here help?
    http://www.samsung.com/Products/HardDiskDrive/troubleshooting/index.htm

    --

    ~~~~~~

    Hope this helps.

    Gerry
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    FCA

    Stourport, Worcs, England
    Enquire, plan and execute.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    Gerry Cornell, Jan 29, 2005
  9. Sammy Castagna

    Alex Nichol Guest

    Sammy Castagna wrote:

    >Is there a way to copy C to F my two hard disk letters. And then boot off of
    >F? I think C is going bad. They are both Samsung 40g I have looked at the
    >Samsung site for a utility but I do not see any thing. Is this even
    >possible.

    You need a proper partition manager that will do an exact copy. What I
    use is BootIT NG, from http://www.BootitNG.com ($35 shareware - 30 day
    full functional trial)

    Download, to its own folder, extract from the zip, run the bootitng to
    make a boot floppy.

    With the new drive plugged in as slave/secondary, boot the floppy,
    Cancel Install, entering maintenance, then click on Partition work.
    Highlight your C:,Copy, then on left select the new drive (HD1),
    highlight the Free Space in it, and Paste.

    Now click on 'View MBR' and in it highlight the entry for this new
    'about to be C' partition and click the 'Set Active' Click 'Write
    Standard MBR' and Apply.

    Close out, swap the disks to make the new one the one that boots, and
    reboot into XP. The C will now be this copy on the other drive

    Bournemouth, U.K. 8E8L.org (remove the D8 bit)

    Alex Nichol, Jan 29, 2005
  10. "Close out, swap the disks to make the new one the one that boots, and
    reboot into XP. The C will now be this copy on the other drive "

    That sounds like good advice, I just wanted add details to the last
    part

    ....take out the drives, make sure the jumpers are set to "select" or
    "master" for the F drive, install F where C used to be, close the
    chasis, reboot, and F should now appear as C. If the drive can't be
    found, reboot and enter "setup" mode. Make sure that setup can detect
    your drive. If it still can't be found then make sure the IDE and
    power cables are secure double check your jumper settings - - -sorry
    that was so long - - - it might help

    Tom Penharston, Jan 30, 2005