Copy a Google map to Word Document

Discussion in 'Microsoft Word New Users' started by Guest, Sep 30, 2007.

    > How do I copy a Google map, (a city street map), to a Word document?
    > I need to add title headers to the top of the maps.
    > I seached Google, but no luck on any info. Would anyone happen to

    know how to do this or any site I can go to?
    > System: Windows Explorer 7

    Windows XP-SP2
    Microsoft Office 2000 Pro.
    Acer TravelMate 2450 laptop

    Guest, Sep 30, 2007

  2. It looks as if the method I have been using no longer works. I had been able
    to click Print, cancel printing, then right-click and use Save Picture As,
    but the right-click menu seems to have been disabled. You can save the whole
    page (File | Save As | Web page, complete) and then extract the image. Or
    you can take a rough-and-ready screen shot using PrintScreen (which copies
    the image to the Clipboard, whence you can paste it into Word) and then crop
    it. With dedicated screen capture software such as SnagIt
    (www.techsmith.com) you can capture just the map (by selecting a region) or
    "print" to the SnagIt printer and then crop and save in a graphics format.

    --
    Suzanne S. Barnhill
    Microsoft MVP (Word)

    Suzanne S. Barnhill, Sep 30, 2007

    > ??? Well..someone sent me an E-mail notification in reponse to my question,
    but where is it ?

    Guest, Sep 30, 2007
  4. Google Maps will let you copy a link, but you cannot do a 'simple' copy and
    paste. You need a good simple graphics editor such as the free to download
    IrfanView.

    Open Google Maps and select the location and adjust it to your preference.
    Note that you can toggle FullScreenView (F12) in Explorer to get more screen
    space to get a bigger map area. Once it is right, use ALt+PrtScn (this
    copies the screen tot he Windows Clipboard.

    Toggle off FullScreenView (F12) and open IrfanView. Use Edit, Paste. You now
    have the Google Map displayed. You can crop it to edit it again now if you
    want. Then click on save and save it as a jpeg. You can now use Insert,
    Picture to get the saved map into Word or an Outlook email.

    --
    Terry Farrell - MS Word MVP

    Terry Farrell, Sep 30, 2007
  5. If you're here, you should be seeing replies.

    Suzanne S. Barnhill, Sep 30, 2007

    Christine S Guest

    Thank you so much - this information was really useful and stopped me from
    going insane. Well done 10 out of 10!

    Christine S, Feb 14, 2008
  7. I'm pleased it helped you. Using IrfanView (or similar editor) to edit
    graphics of any type before inserting them into Word is nearly always the
    best way to go.

    Terry

    Terry Farrell, Feb 14, 2008
  8. Many Web sites (including Google Maps IIRC) that don't permit copying do
    have a Print option. Sometimes this gives you a printable page (and
    sometimes you can even copy from that), which provides a better screen shot,
    but an even better solution in this case, if you are using a screen capture
    application such as SnagIt, is to print directly to the SnagIt printer,
    which captures the screen at whatever resolution you specify.

    --
    Suzanne S. Barnhill
    Microsoft MVP (Word)

    Suzanne S. Barnhill, Feb 14, 2008

    JoAnn Paules Guest

    Or if you are using Vista, the Snipping tool works nicely. (I prefer SnagIt
    tho.)

    --

    JoAnn Paules
    MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

    JoAnn Paules, Feb 14, 2008
  10. Reminder for self: I must get round to testing out the Snipping tool!

    Terry

    Terry Farrell, Feb 14, 2008

    JoAnn Paules Guest

    It's a pleasant "upgrade" from a screen shot.

    --

    JoAnn Paules
    MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

    JoAnn Paules, Feb 15, 2008