    I have a spreadsheet in Excel 2003 that includes a column of names in
    "LastName, FirstName" format. I need for it to be in "FirstName
    LastName" order. How can I do that without manually typing all 300 names?

    mcp6453, Oct 20, 2008

  2. Text to Columns?
    Do you only have 2 names for each person?

    Recombine the names in the order after you swap the columns:

    use
    =A2&B2&C2 ... etc where A2 is the first name and the others the rest.

    Regards
    Robert McCurdy

    Robert McCurdy, Oct 20, 2008

  3. mcp6453

    T. Valko Guest

    Try this:

    A1 = LastName, FirstName

    =MID(A1&" "&A1,FIND(",",A1)+2,LEN(A1)-1)

    result = FirstName LastName

    --
    Biff
    Microsoft Excel MVP

    T. Valko, Oct 20, 2008
  4. mcp6453

    Cawshus Guest

    mcp6453 <> wrote in news:e$7cAQlMJHA.5428
    @TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl:

    > I have a spreadsheet in Excel 2003 that includes a column of names in
    > "LastName, FirstName" format. I need for it to be in "FirstName
    > LastName" order. How can I do that without manually typing all 300 names?

    The FIND() will give you a location to split the string at the comma:

    =LEFT(A1,FIND(",",A1)-1) & RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-FIND(",",A1))

    Cawshus, Oct 20, 2008