Converting Address List in Word to Excel Spreadsheet

Discussion in 'Microsoft Word Document Management' started by Guest, Jun 28, 2006.

    Okay, I know this is incredibly dumb and I aplogize in advance.

    I have a list of names, addresses and phone numbers in a Word document.
    They are typed in like this:

    Joe Smith
    ABC Company
    123 Main Street
    Anywere, USA 11111
    (555) 555-5555

    Mary Jones
    CDE Company
    55 Elm Street
    Somewhere, USA 22222
    (444) 444-4444

    How, step by step, do I convert this data into an Excel spreadsheet? I want
    columns at the top with Name, Company, Address, State, and Postal Code. Can
    this be done?

    Guest, Jun 28, 2006

  2. Graham Mayor has an excellent website for this.

    Convert Labels into Mail Merge Data File
    http://www.gmayor.com/convert_labels_into_mail_merge.htm

    --

    JoAnn Paules
    MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

    JoAnn Paules [MVP], Jun 28, 2006

  3. Graham Mayor has an excellent website for this.

    JoAnn Paules [MVP], Jun 28, 2006
  4. This will be very easy if you have a paragraph mark (or line break) at the
    end of each line and two paragraph marks (or line breaks) between address
    blocks.

    1. The first step is to convert paragraph breaks to line breaks (if
    necessary). Use Find and Replace to search for ^p and replace with ^l
    (lowercase L).

    2. Now replace ^l^l (two line breaks) with ^p. This will give you each
    address block in a single paragraph.

    3. Now replace ^l with ^t (tab character). This will give you each address
    block in a long line.

    4. Select all your text and use Table | Convert | Text to Table to create a
    table, separating at tabs.

    5. If you have the same number of lines in each address block, then all your
    fields will be in the right column; all you have to do is add the desired
    heading row. Although you can paste this into an Excel sheet if you want to,
    if you're going to use it as a mail merge data source, Word is perfectly
    happy to use the table you just created.

    --
    Suzanne S. Barnhill
    Microsoft MVP (Word)

    Suzanne S. Barnhill, Jun 28, 2006
  5. This will be very easy if you have a paragraph mark (or line break) at the

    Suzanne S. Barnhill, Jun 28, 2006