    Outlook contacts to vCard. Is there any way to convert this Word doc
    to vCard, even if I have to convert it to Excel first?

    , Oct 29, 2008

  2. Are the records in a table? If so, you can import it. If not, copy and paste
    to Excel and put one record per row.

    --
    Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

    Outlook Tips by email:

    newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.

    Diane Poremsky [MVP], Oct 30, 2008

    On Oct 29, 10:31 pm, "Diane Poremsky [MVP]" <>
    wrote:
    > Are the records in a table? If so, you can import it. If not, copy and paste
    > to Excel and put one record per row.
    >
    > --
    > Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
    > Outlook Tips:http://www.outlook-tips.net/
    > Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center:http://www.slipstick.com
    >
    > Outlook Tips by email:

    > You can access this newsgroup by visitinghttp://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspxor point your
    > newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.
    >
    > <> wrote in message

    > > One of our users gave me a lengthy address list in Word (as a straight
    > > list, not as a table).  It includes home addresses, work addresses,
    > > phone numbers, e-mail addresses, etc.  He wants me to convert it to
    > > vCard.  The only instructions I found online are for converting
    > > Outlook contacts to vCard.  Is there any way to convert this Word doc
    > > to vCard, even if I have to convert it to Excel first?- Hide quoted text -

    It's not in a table, so I will copy and paste to Excel and put one
    record per row. After I do that, in what format should I save the
    Excel document? Then how do I go about converting the Excel document
    into vCard format?

    , Oct 30, 2008
  4. Save it as either excel or CSV format. If you do it in Excel format
    (97-2003, not 2007 format) - you'll need to name the range.

    Also - in case you aren't familiar with Excel's paste special, transpose -
    if the word file is in the form of
    name
    address
    city

    You can copy and use paste special, transpose to get it into Excel in one
    step. When I needed to do it, I copied by pages (using paste special) and
    then drag and dropped the records to the rows. If the city, state and zip
    need split into cells its fairly easy with formulas (then copy and paste
    special, values to replace the formulas with hard values).

    Diane Poremsky [MVP], Oct 30, 2008

    On Oct 30, 5:04 pm, "Diane Poremsky [MVP]" <> wrote:
    > Save it as either excel or CSV format. If you do it in Excel format
    > (97-2003, not 2007 format) - you'll need to name the range.
    >
    > Also - in case you aren't familiar with Excel's paste special, transpose -
    > if the word file is in the form of
    > name
    > address
    > city
    >
    > You can copy and use paste special, transpose to get it into Excel in one
    > step.  When I needed to do it, I copied by pages (using paste special) and
    > then drag and dropped the records to the rows. If the city, state and zip
    > need split into cells its fairly easy with formulas (then copy and paste
    > special, values to replace the formulas with hard values).
    >
    > --
    > Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
    > Outlook Tips:http://www.outlook-tips.net/
    > Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center:http://www.slipstick.com
    >
    > Outlook Tips by email:

    > You can access this newsgroup by visitinghttp://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspxor point your
    > newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.
    >
    > <> wrote in message

    > > On Oct 29, 10:31 pm, "Diane Poremsky [MVP]" <>
    > > wrote:
    > >> Are the records in a table? If so, you can import it. If not, copy and
    > >> paste
    > >> to Excel and put one record per row.

    > >> --
    > >> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
    > >> Outlook Tips:http://www.outlook-tips.net/
    > >> Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center:http://www.slipstick.com

    > >> Outlook Tips by email:
    > >>

    > >> EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange:
    > >>

    > >> You can access this newsgroup by
    > >> visitinghttp://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspxor
    > >> point your
    > >> newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.

    > >> <> wrote in message

    > > It's not in a table, so I will copy and paste to Excel and put one
    > > record per row.  After I do that, in what format should I save the
    > > Excel document?  Then how do I go about converting the Excel document
    > > into vCard format?- Hide quoted text -

    OK. So after I do that, how do I convert it to a vcf file?

    , Oct 31, 2008
  6. You need to import it into Contacts using file import.

    Diane Poremsky [MVP], Oct 31, 2008

    On Oct 31, 11:36 am, "Diane Poremsky [MVP]" <>
    wrote:
    > You need to import it into Contacts using file import.
    >
    > --
    > Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
    > Outlook Tips:http://www.outlook-tips.net/
    > Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center:http://www.slipstick.com
    >
    > Outlook Tips by email:

    > You can access this newsgroup by visitinghttp://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspxor point your
    > newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.
    >
    > <> wrote in message

    > > On Oct 30, 5:04 pm, "Diane Poremsky [MVP]" <> wrote:
    > >> Save it as either excel or CSV format. If you do it in Excel format
    > >> (97-2003, not 2007 format) - you'll need to name the range.

    > >> Also - in case you aren't familiar with Excel's paste special,
    > >> transpose -
    > >> if the word file is in the form of
    > >> name
    > >> address
    > >> city

    > >> You can copy and use paste special, transpose to get it into Excel in one
    > >> step. When I needed to do it, I copied by pages (using paste special) and
    > >> then drag and dropped the records to the rows. If the city, state and zip
    > >> need split into cells its fairly easy with formulas (then copy and paste
    > >> special, values to replace the formulas with hard values).

    > >> --
    > >> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
    > >> Outlook Tips:http://www.outlook-tips.net/
    > >> Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center:http://www.slipstick.com

    > >> Outlook Tips by email:
    > >>

    > >> EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange:
    > >>

    > >> You can access this newsgroup by
    > >> visitinghttp://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspxor
    > >> point your
    > >> newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.

    > >> <> wrote in message

    > > OK.  So after I do that, how do I convert it to a vcf file?- Hide quoted text -

    When I import it into Contacts, doesn't it just make it part of the
    pst file? Or is there an option to save it as a vcf file?

    , Nov 4, 2008
  8. > When I import it into Contacts, doesn't it just make it part of the
    > pst file? Or is there an option to save it as a vcf file?

    Once its imported you can save the contacts as vcf files outside of outlook.
    Or you can learn to write your own vcf's using notepad. The basic layout is
    here: http://www.w3.org/2002/12/cal/vcard-notes.html

    Diane Poremsky [MVP], Nov 5, 2008