Convert Outlook Express files (DBX) to Outlook 2000 files (PST)

Discussion in 'Microsoft Outlook' started by frank@worldramp.net, May 13, 2004.

  1. Guest

    I have four years worth of e-mails backed up and stored
    from when I used Outlook Express, these files are saved
    as DBX. I want to covert these to PST files so that I
    may one day view them in the current version of Outlook.

    I don't want to import the DBX files into my current
    outlook because I am afraid of two things: I don't want
    to comibe this information and the file size will be
    extremely large.

    How can I convert the DBX files (Outlook Express mail)
    into PST Files (Outlook 2000)?

    Also, can I do the same with the Address Book File of
    Outlook Express?

    Thanks,

    Frank

    , May 13, 2004

  2. Gordon Guest

    "" <> wrote in message
    > I have four years worth of e-mails backed up and stored
    > from when I used Outlook Express, these files are saved
    > as DBX. I want to covert these to PST files so that I
    > may one day view them in the current version of Outlook.
    >
    > I don't want to import the DBX files into my current
    > outlook because I am afraid of two things: I don't want
    > to comibe this information and the file size will be
    > extremely large.
    >
    > How can I convert the DBX files (Outlook Express mail)
    > into PST Files (Outlook 2000)?
    >
    > Also, can I do the same with the Address Book File of
    > Outlook Express?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Frank

    The only way IS to import them into Outlook. However, what you can do is to
    set up a new Outlook Profile specifically to do the import.

    Gordon, May 13, 2004

    How would I do that?
    Can you pls send detailed instructions?
    Thanks,
    Frank

    <> wrote in message
    >> I have four years worth of e-mails backed up and stored
    >> from when I used Outlook Express, these files are saved
    >> as DBX. I want to covert these to PST files so that I
    >> may one day view them in the current version of

    Outlook.

    >> I don't want to import the DBX files into my current
    >> outlook because I am afraid of two things: I don't want
    >> to comibe this information and the file size will be
    >> extremely large.
    >>
    >> How can I convert the DBX files (Outlook Express mail)
    >> into PST Files (Outlook 2000)?
    >>
    >> Also, can I do the same with the Address Book File of
    >> Outlook Express?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Frank

    >The only way IS to import them into Outlook. However,

    what you can do is to
    >set up a new Outlook Profile specifically to do the

    import.

    >.

    , May 13, 2004
  4. Gordon Guest

    "" <> wrote in message
    > How would I do that?
    > Can you pls send detailed instructions?
    > Thanks,
    > Frank
    >

    > >The only way IS to import them into Outlook. However,

    > what you can do is to
    > >set up a new Outlook Profile specifically to do the

    > import.
    > >

    > >.

    I'm at a machine which is W2K and control panel disabled at the moment -
    but here goes. Go to Control Panel-Mail and there should be an option to
    create a new Profile there.

    HTH!

    Gordon, May 13, 2004

    I am getting the following message when I want to import
    the files:

    NO MESSAGES CAN BE FOUND IN THIS FOLDER OR ANOTHER
    APPLICATION IS RUNNING THAT HAS THE REQUIRED FILES OPEN.
    PLEASE SELECT ANOTHER FOLDER OR TRY CLOSING APPLICATIONS
    THAT MAY HAVE FILES OPEN.

    What can I do?

    Frank

    <> wrote in message
    >> How would I do that?
    >> Can you pls send detailed instructions?
    >> Thanks,
    >> Frank
    >>

    >> >The only way IS to import them into Outlook. However,

    >> what you can do is to
    >> >set up a new Outlook Profile specifically to do the

    >> import.
    >> >

    >> >.
    >> >

    >I'm at a machine which is W2K and control panel disabled

    at the moment -
    >but here goes. Go to Control Panel-Mail and there should

    be an option to
    >create a new Profile there.
    >
    >HTH!
    >

    >.

    , May 14, 2004
  6. Gordon Guest

    "" <> wrote in message
    > I am getting the following message when I want to import
    > the files:
    >
    > NO MESSAGES CAN BE FOUND IN THIS FOLDER OR ANOTHER
    > APPLICATION IS RUNNING THAT HAS THE REQUIRED FILES OPEN.
    > PLEASE SELECT ANOTHER FOLDER OR TRY CLOSING APPLICATIONS
    > THAT MAY HAVE FILES OPEN.
    >
    > What can I do?
    >
    > Frank

    have you imported the files into Outlook Express first? Outlook cannot
    import dbx files direct - it must do it from Outlook Express.

    Gordon, May 14, 2004
  7. <> wrote:

    > I am getting the following message when I want to import
    > the files:
    >
    > NO MESSAGES CAN BE FOUND IN THIS FOLDER OR ANOTHER
    > APPLICATION IS RUNNING THAT HAS THE REQUIRED FILES OPEN.
    > PLEASE SELECT ANOTHER FOLDER OR TRY CLOSING APPLICATIONS
    > THAT MAY HAVE FILES OPEN.

    You can't import DBX files into Outlook. You must import them first into
    Outlook Express and then either use Outlook Express to export them to
    Outlook (preferred) or use Outlook to import them from Outlook Express.
    --
    Brian Tillman

    Brian Tillman, May 14, 2004