    this problem for the past wee...need help ASAP
    --
    Antonio

    Guest, Mar 11, 2006

    M and D Guest

    "Unexplained computer behavior may be caused by deceptive software"
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315/en-us

    Steven

    M and D, Mar 11, 2006

  3. PhxLeo31 wrote:
    > pop ups keep attacking my pc even though all blockers are on, been having
    > this problem for the past wee...need help ASAP

    What specific kind of pop-ups are you seeing? There are at least
    three varieties of pop-ups, and the solutions vary accordingly.

    1) Does the title bar of these pop-ups read "Messenger Service?"

    This type of spam has become quite common over the past few years,
    and unintentionally serves as a valid security "alert." It demonstrates
    that the computer user hasn't been taking sufficient precautions while
    connected to the Internet. The user's data probably hasn't been
    compromised by these specific advertisements, but if he/she's open to
    this exploit, he/she may well be open to other threats, such as the
    Blaster Worm that swept across the Internet years ago and the Sasser
    Worm that followed shortly thereafter, both of which can still be
    contacted. Install and use a decent, properly configured firewall.
    (Merely disabling the messenger service, as some people recommend, only
    hides the symptom, and does little or nothing to truly secure the
    machine.) And ignoring or just "putting up with" the security gap
    represented by these messages is particularly foolish.

    Messenger Service of Windows
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;168893

    Messenger Service Window That Contains an Internet Advertisement
    Appears
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=330904

    Blocking Ads, Parasites, and Hijackers with a Hosts File
    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

    Oh, and be especially wary of people who advise the user to do
    nothing more than disable the messenger service. Disabling the
    messenger service, by itself, is a "head in the sand" approach to
    computer security. The real problem is not the messenger service
    pop-ups; they're actually providing a useful, if annoying, service by
    acting as a security alert. The true problem is the unsecured computer,
    and the user's been advised to merely turn off the warnings. How is
    this helpful?

    2) For regular Internet pop-ups, you might try the free 12Ghosts
    Popup-killer from http://12ghosts.com/ghosts/popup.htm, Pop-Up Stopper
    from http://www.panicware.com/, or the Google Toolbar from
    http://toolbar.google.com/. Alternatively, you can upgrade your WinXP
    to SP2, to install IE's pop-up blocker. Another alternative would be
    to use another browser, such as Mozilla or Firefox, which has pop-up
    blocking capabilities. (But I'd avoid Netscape; it carries too much
    extraneous AOL garbage.)

    3) To deal with pop-ups caused by any sort of "adware" and/or
    "spyware,"such as Gator, Comet Cursors, Xupiter, Bonzai Buddy, or
    KaZaA, and their remnants, that you've deliberately (but without
    understanding the consequences) installed, two products that are
    quite effective (at finding and removing this type of scumware) are
    Ad-Aware from www.lavasoft.de and SpyBot Search & Destroy from
    www.safer-networking.org/. Both have free versions. It's even
    possible to use SpyBot Search & Destroy to "immunize" your system
    against most future intrusions. I use both and generally perform
    manual scans every week or so to clean out cookies, etc.

    Additionally, manual removal instructions for the most common
    varieties of scumware are available here:

    PC Hell Spyware and Adware Removal Help
    http://www.pchell.com/support/spyware.shtml

    More information and assistance is available at these sites:

    Blocking Ads, Parasites, and Hijackers with a Hosts File
    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

    The Parasite Fight
    http://www.aumha.org/a/parasite.htm

    Neither adware nor spyware, collectively known as scumware,
    magically install themselves on anyone's computer. They are almost
    always deliberately installed by the computer's user, as part of some
    allegedly "free" service or product.

    While there are some unscrupulous malware distributors out there,
    who do attempt to install and exploit malware without consent, the
    majority of them simply rely upon the intellectual laziness and
    gullibility of the average consumer, counting on them to quickly click
    past the EULA in his/her haste to get the latest in "free" cutesy
    cursors, screensavers, "utilities," and/or wallpapers.

    If you were to read the EULAs that accompany, and to which the
    computer user must agree before the download/installation of the
    "screensaver" continues, most adware and spyware, you'll find that
    they _do_ have the consumer's permission to do exactly what they're
    doing. In the overwhelming majority of cases, computer users have no
    one to blame but themselves.

    There are several essential components to computer security: a
    knowledgeable and pro-active user, a properly configured firewall,
    reliable and up-to-date antivirus software, and the prompt repair (via
    patches, hotfixes, or service packs) of any known vulnerabilities.

    The weakest link in this "equation" is, of course, the computer
    user. No software manufacturer can -- nor should they be expected
    to -- protect the computer user from him/herself. All too many people
    have bought into the various PC/software manufacturers marketing
    claims of easy computing. They believe that their computer should be
    no harder to use than a toaster oven; they have neither the
    inclination or desire to learn how to safely use their computer. All
    too few people keep their antivirus software current, install patches
    in a timely manner, or stop to really think about that cutesy link
    they're about to click.

    Firewalls and anti-virus applications, which should always be used
    and should always be running, are important components of "safe hex,"
    but they cannot, and should not be expected to, protect the computer
    user from him/herself. Ultimately, it is incumbent upon each and
    every computer user to learn how to secure his/her own computer.

    To learn more about practicing "safe hex," start with these links:

    Protect Your PC

    Home Computer Security
    http://www.cert.org/homeusers/HomeComputerSecurity/

    List of Antivirus Software Vendors
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;49500

    Home PC Firewall Guide
    http://www.firewallguide.com/

    Scumware.com
    http://www.scumware.com/

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of
    chains and slavery? .... I know not what course others may take, but as
    for me, give me liberty, or give me death! -Patrick Henry

    Bruce Chambers, Mar 11, 2006