Constant USB device not recognized balloon

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help' started by Midnytemirage, Jan 11, 2004.

  1. Hi,

    I'm sorry, but I posted this before and didn't realize until it was too late
    that I forgot to put a subject header on my post. Anyway, back at the
    beginning of October, I did a fresh install of Windows XP Pro on
    my computer. About 2 weeks later I began receiving an error message balloon
    constantly (5 to 10 seconds apart) that read:
    "USB Device Not Recognized. One of the USB Devices attached to this computer
    has malfunctioned and Windows does not recognize it. For assistance in
    solving this problem, click this message."

    The message disappeared after I unplugged my keyboard and plugged it into
    the opposite USB port. But suddenly late last night the message started
    reappearing yet again. When I click on the message, it opens a window that
    shows my USB hub. On the list it shows an unknown device attached to a USB
    port that doesn't even have anything plugged into it. The window suggests
    unplugging and re-plugging in the device to correct the problem. Only there
    is no device plugged in that port to unplug.
    If I unplug my keyboard and plug it into the port, it doesn't function at
    all.

    Does anyone know what may be causing this? I've done all of the windows
    updates and even scanned for spyware and viruses. Any help here at all would
    be greatly appreciated.
    --
    It's just another...
    Midnytemirage

    Midnytemirage, Jan 11, 2004

  2. Midnytemirage

    MJ Guest

    got a Dell?
    http://csilo.com/vpost.aspx?aid=818

    MJ, Jan 11, 2004

  3. Compaq Deskpro. Why? Is this a common issue with Dell PCs?

    Midnytemirage, Jan 11, 2004
  4. Midnytemirage

    MJ Guest

    have you got SP-1 installed yet?

    MJ, Jan 12, 2004
  5. Sorry about the dely in responding, but yes, I do have SP1 installed.
    I've ran Windows Update and downloaded all of the updates.

    Midnytemirage, Jan 13, 2004