    addresses. dns is running on both. dhcp is running on
    both. but i dont have active directory running. i want to
    try to stay away from it if i could. can anyone help?

    Michael, Oct 20, 2003

  2. In news:01f401c3973c$60e52dd0$,
    Michael <> posted a question
    Then Kevin replied below:
    > I need to know how to connect 2 DNS servers over the
    > internet. I have 2 servers with 2k server. 2 buildings
    > about 20 miles away and each both places have fixed ip
    > addresses. dns is running on both. dhcp is running on
    > both. but i dont have active directory running. i want to
    > try to stay away from it if i could. can anyone help?

    Your question is unclear, what do you mean you want to connect them?
    Do they both hold forward or reverse lookup zones?
    Please elaborate.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

    Kevin D. Goodknecht, Oct 20, 2003

  3. Please provide more detail as to what "connect" means. Are you trying to perform zone transfers?

    Thank you,
    Mike Johnston
    Microsoft Network Support

    --

    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at

    Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread from which they originated.

    Michael Johnston [MSFT], Oct 20, 2003
  4. In news:01f401c3973c$60e52dd0$,
    Michael <> posted their thoughts, then I offered
    mine
    > I need to know how to connect 2 DNS servers over the
    > internet. I have 2 servers with 2k server. 2 buildings
    > about 20 miles away and each both places have fixed ip
    > addresses. dns is running on both. dhcp is running on
    > both. but i dont have active directory running. i want to
    > try to stay away from it if i could. can anyone help?

    I *think* you mean you want to have one DNS server's zone information onthe
    other. If so, the easiest way is to choose one of the machines to have a
    Primary Zone, and then create the same zone on the other one as a Secondary
    zone, and when it asks who the Master IP is, you give it the IP of the first
    one.

    --
    Regards,
    Ace

    Please direct all replies to the newsgroup so all can benefit.

    =================================

    Ace Fekay [MVP], Oct 21, 2003
  5. Michael

    Michael Guest

    ok, this is were i am. i have 2 businesses about 20 miles
    apart. i need to set them up where i a can see all
    computers on one network. both locations have windows 2000
    server and routers with fixed ip addresses. i have a
    program that does everything for sales and inventory etc.
    i need to be able to share files and print from any
    printer. more less being on the same network. thats where
    i am and want i need to do.
    michael delahoussaye

    Michael, Oct 21, 2003
  6. Michael

    Jason Meyer Guest

    I would look at setting up a VPN between the two sites if you want to do all
    that file sharing and what not.

    Jason

    Jason Meyer, Oct 21, 2003
  7. In news:0c1d01c397dc$f328ea10$,
    Michael <> posted a question
    Then Kevin replied below:
    > ok, this is were i am. i have 2 businesses about 20 miles
    > apart. i need to set them up where i a can see all
    > computers on one network. both locations have windows 2000
    > server and routers with fixed ip addresses. i have a
    > program that does everything for sales and inventory etc.
    > i need to be able to share files and print from any
    > printer. more less being on the same network. thats where
    > i am and want i need to do.
    > michael delahoussaye

    This would be much easier to do if you set up a single AD domain at both
    locations then you would just set up a VPN link between the two, AD
    replication would take care of everything.

    That being said, in the absence of an AD Domain, you still need the VPN
    link, then give your network a FQDN such as my network.local make a forward
    lookup zone for that name in DNS, primary on one secondary on the other and
    manually create the host records in DNS for machine hostnames, i.e. server1
    and server2 with the respective private addresses in the primary.
    Point all machines to the private addresses of these servers for DNS
    With this setup if the link is working then all machines would resolve the
    names by the FQDN as server1.network.local and so on.

    The problem with not using an AD domain is for anyone to access the shares
    all users will have to have local accounts on all servers that have matching
    usernames and passwords. If anyone changes their password it would have to
    be changed in the local accounts on all machines. This could be a real PITA
    to administer.

    Do yourself a favor and set up a single AD Domain, with a DC in both
    locations and a VPN between the two.
    You still need DNS at both locations but replication would take care of
    everything, including users and passwords. You will be much happier with the
    outcome.

    Kevin D. Goodknecht, Oct 21, 2003
  8. Wow, I was way off. That's what I get when guessing without enough info!

    Yes, a VPN is what's needed, as everyone else stated. Suggest a 3rd party,
    such as a Cisco PIX or a Netscreen.

    --
    Regards,
    Ace

    Please direct all replies to the newsgroup so all can benefit.

    =================================

    "Ace Fekay [MVP]"
    <PleaseSubstituteMyActualFirstName&> wrote in
    message news:%...

    Ace Fekay [MVP], Oct 21, 2003
  9. In news:%,
    Ace Fekay [MVP] <PleaseSubstituteMyActualFirstName&>
    posted a question
    Then Kevin replied below:
    > Wow, I was way off. That's what I get when guessing without enough
    > info!
    >
    > Yes, a VPN is what's needed, as everyone else stated. Suggest a 3rd
    > party, such as a Cisco PIX or a Netscreen.
    >
    > --

    Hey Ace, it's like a buddy of mine I use to run containers with, he always
    said, "You're supposed to listen to what I mean, instead of what I say!"

    Kevin D. Goodknecht, Oct 22, 2003
  10. In news:,
    Kevin D. Goodknecht <> posted their thoughts, then I
    offered mine
    > In news:%,
    > Ace Fekay [MVP]
    > <PleaseSubstituteMyActualFirstName&> posted a
    > question
    > Then Kevin replied below:
    >> Wow, I was way off. That's what I get when guessing without enough
    >> info!
    >>
    >> Yes, a VPN is what's needed, as everyone else stated. Suggest a 3rd
    >> party, such as a Cisco PIX or a Netscreen.
    >>
    >> --

    > Hey Ace, it's like a buddy of mine I use to run containers with, he
    > always said, "You're supposed to listen to what I mean, instead of
    > what I say!"

    That's it.
    There ya go!

    Ace Fekay [MVP], Oct 22, 2003
  11. In news:011401c398b9$f052b630$,
    <>
    posted a question
    Then Kevin replied below:
    > what i am really trying to do is a always on vpn really. i
    > want to be able to
    > go to my network places and see the other computers and
    > the other server that
    > is 20 miles away. i was told i had to setup up dns and
    > make the servers look
    > for each other and then i would see all computers on the
    > both networks as one.
    > or even see the other network. can you tell me what i need
    > to do and really
    > need? i have 2 servers with win2kserver. 2 routers. each
    > place as a static ip
    > from my isp. anything else? do i have to run active
    > directory at any time? i
    > really want to stay away from that since i never installed
    > it. PLEASE
    > HELP!!!!!!!!!!!
    > michael j delahoussaye

    See the post I made yesterday.

    Kevin D. Goodknecht, Oct 22, 2003
  12. In news:011401c398b9$f052b630$,
    <>
    posted their thoughts, then I offered mine
    > what i am really trying to do is a always on vpn really. i
    > want to be able to
    > go to my network places and see the other computers and
    > the other server that
    > is 20 miles away. i was told i had to setup up dns and
    > make the servers look
    > for each other and then i would see all computers on the
    > both networks as one.
    > or even see the other network. can you tell me what i need
    > to do and really
    > need? i have 2 servers with win2kserver. 2 routers. each
    > place as a static ip
    > from my isp. anything else? do i have to run active
    > directory at any time? i
    > really want to stay away from that since i never installed
    > it. PLEASE
    > HELP!!!!!!!!!!!
    > michael j delahoussaye

    You don;'t need AD. However, it would centralize and simplify authentication
    big time.

    All you really need is a VPN as everyone stated, between the two locations.
    Hopefully you already have a nailed link (always up). Purchase two Netscreen
    boxes, one for each location, setup the VPN between them, then you;ll have a
    secure link that's wide open between them.

    Then you'll want to install WINS. This is based on your requirement of
    wanting to "SEE" the computers from each subnet. This feature/ability is
    based on the Browser service to populate Network Neighborhood, which
    absolutely requires NetBIOS support. NetBIOS does not traverse a router, so
    therefore you need to offer support for NetBIOS name resolution, therefore
    the best answer is WINS.

    Ace Fekay [MVP], Oct 22, 2003