Connecting to a Linksys 802.11b Wireless Access Router (BEFW11S4)

G

I have a cable modem and the Linksys router setup on a desktop running Windows XP, at home. I have a work laptop that is running Windows Server 2000. I have tried looking at both the Server 2000 site and the Linksys site with little help. I can see a signal on the laptop, but I cannot connect to the internet from the laptop. I keep getting a message saying unable to open Internet Explorer Search page. If anyone has any suggestions on how to fix this, I would greatly appreciate it.

J

Jeff Cochran

I have a cable modem and the Linksys router setup on a desktop running Windows XP, at home. I have a work laptop that is running Windows Server 2000. I have tried looking at both the Server 2000 site and the Linksys site with little help. I can see a signal on the laptop, but I cannot connect to the internet from the laptop. I keep getting a message saying unable to open Internet Explorer Search page. If anyone has any suggestions on how to fix this, I would greatly appreciate it.

This is confusing. Are you bringing your work laptop home and trying
to access the internet through your Linksys? Is the Linksys providing
DHCP addressing, and the laptop has a static IP possibly? Or is the
laptop not getting a default gateway setting from DHCP? Assuming
you're getting a good wireless connection, your issue is IP addressing
and routing through a default gateway.

Jeff

G

Yes, I am bringing my work laptop home and trying to access the internet through my Linksys. Forgive me, but I don't even know about what DHCP addressing is. I only have Server 2000 because a particular application requires it. I am not sure what qualifies as a good wireless connection, but I see an indicator in the taskbar near the clock that shows an excellent signal for the wireless connection. I just can't do anything with the connection. I am not sure if this clarifies anything, but I am hoping it will

Jeff O

Ask a Question