Windows 7 Connect to virtual PC (Windows 7) with Remote Desktop Connection

Reaction score
Hello all!

I have Windows 7 installed on Virtual PC 2007. It seems (from googling) that it is not possible to run Aero on the virtual PC. If I have understood correctly, however, Aero can be run if I connect using Remote Desktop Connection. Are there any tutorials, or can somebody tell me how to do this? My main computer is Vista, and I would like to "remote connect" to the Virtual PC (Windows 7).

Thank you!

Joe

Reaction score
All Right,

I have finally managed to get somewhere. I can now connect to my VPC from RMC. I still cannot get Aero working, however.

If anybody has suggestions, feel free to give 'em!

Thanks!

Joe

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Did you set up the options in mstsc to allow the highest quality from the "experience" tab?

Reaction score
Thank you so much for the reply, Ian. I really appreciate it. Yes, I did set everything to the top in Remote Desktop Connection (I checked every checkbox). Would you have any other suggestions? I also set the colours to Highest Quality (32 bit).

Joe

Reaction score
When Vista was in the first Beta, there was a way to remote onto the virtual machine though RDP and use it with Aero. However the requirements were that the host PC would have to be running Vista (with Aero enabled) and the experience set at max.

Unfortunatly, MS found out about this, and disabled / fixed this issue in the next release of Vista.

Have a look at the following link, this gives info about W7 :

http://computerboom.blogspot.com/2009/01/it-seems-that-aero-is-no-longer.html

That way suggests that you have to have W7 installed on you host pc :confused:

Seems rather pointless having W7 installed as the host PC and installing it on either VPC or VMWare.

Hope this helps :)

Reaction score
Thank you, Nobody in particular (I love your user name!).

I was beginning to wonder if that might be the case, and I googled and found many sites, all of which made it sound like it was possible with some tweak or other. Now I see that it is not (with my configuration -- 7 on Vista). Thank you for the link!

Joe

Ask a Question