    software fix?

    Thanks!

    , Jul 26, 2006

  2. Paul Guest

    In article <>,
    wrote:

    > Hello all,
    >
    > I've recently been having an interesting problem with audio on my
    > computer (Gateway MX6421 with Windows xp Media Center SP2. 1.8 Ghz, 512
    > MB RAM)
    >
    > Whenever I plug my headphones in, I not only hear audio through the
    > headphones but also through the speakers. While this is advantageous (I
    > can hook up speakers and have a blast of sound), in situations where I
    > need to use headphones, I'm left without a leg to stand on. Could this
    > be a problem with the sound card itself? Or is there some sort of
    > software fix?
    >
    > Thanks!

    I would check whatever Conexant audio software came with
    the laptop. On some audio chips, it is possible to stream
    stereo to two jacks, so both jacks have the same signal.
    You could check to see if that mode was enabled.

    There are a couple of jack types on computers. On desktop
    computers, the headphone jack on the front, can mechanically
    interrupt the signal to the speakers on the back of the
    computer. It is pretty hard to upset that scheme and have
    the symptoms you've got.

    On HDaudio equipped computers, all of the features are
    controlled electronically, and there is no switching
    right on the jack itself. Jack sensing on those computers
    is done with a "side contact pair" - in other words, when
    something is plugged into the computer, a separate switch
    that doesn't touch the audio stream, is actuated. The
    software can detect that the switch is closed on a jack
    and knows something has been plugged in. In some cases,
    the chip will also measure the load impedance (somehow,
    and I don't know how that works), and the audio software
    can classify the device type by its impedance. What should
    happen, is if a 32 ohm load is seen, that would be classed
    as headphones, and it should cause other channels to be
    disabled. But, by enabling a dual streaming option in a
    control panel, it is in some cases, also possible to
    convince the software to drive two sets of headphones
    with the same content.

    So the best place to look, is in whatever mixer panel or
    setup software that the audio chip comes with.

    Paul

    Paul, Jul 26, 2006