    the format of another cell. I know how to do this with
    the values of a cell, but if anyone has any suggestions on
    how to do this it would be appreciated. Thank you.

    Jason, Jul 23, 2003

  2. Jason

    Anon Guest

    "Jason" <> wrote in message
    news:0da801c3512e$3b8b0d60$...
    > Hello, I am trying to create a conditional format based on
    > the format of another cell. I know how to do this with
    > the values of a cell, but if anyone has any suggestions on
    > how to do this it would be appreciated. Thank you.

    Select the cell you want to format.
    Format > Conditional formatting
    Change the first box from "Cell value is" to "Formula is".
    Type a formula in the second box (see below).
    Choose the format required.
    OK twice.

    Now for the formula. For example, if you want the format to apply if the
    value of $D$3 is greater than 6, the formula would be
    =($D$3>6)

    Anon, Jul 23, 2003

  3. Jason

    Dave Guest

    some additional information to help you. Email me
    at:

    Dave

    Dave, Jul 23, 2003
  4. Jason

    Jason Guest

    Thanks for your reply. I do know how to do that type of
    conditional formatting, but how do you go about doing
    something like "IF cell x = green background then cell y
    should be formatted with whatever condition I choose". I
    am not looking at the value of the cell. I am trying to
    look at the format of the cell to determine the new cell's
    format. If you have a suggestion for that it would be
    very helpful. Thank you.

    Jason, Jul 23, 2003
  5. Jason

    Gord Dibben Guest

    Jason

    Getting the results you want would depend upon how cell "x" became green.

    If it turned green due to Conditional Formatting, you could use the same
    condition to color cell "y".

    If it turned green because you manually formatted it, Excel cannot deal with
    this because it has no Function to look at colors.

    You would need a User Defined Function to return the background color index
    number then use that to format cell "y".

    Have a look at Chip Pearson's page at.........

    http://www.cpearson.com/excel/colors.htm

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP - XL97 SR2 & XL2002

    Gord Dibben, Jul 23, 2003