Concatenate Date and Number field for Append Query

Reaction score
Hello,

In Access, I am trying to develop a process for generating a unique client number that follows a very specific formula: XXX - XXXX - X - XXXX. The first group should represent the quarter and year when the client is first introduced (non-standard year: Feb-Jan). The second group should be a unique, sequential ID number with leading zeros (missing numbers won't matter and leading zeros seems impossible, so I'm planning to use a DMax calculation on the form that generates a sequential number). The third number represents the client's initial program phase ID. The final number relates to the grant contract ID.

I have generated the number with the following in a Select query:

UniqueNumber: DatePart("q",DateAdd("m",-1,[MonthStart])) & Format([MonthStart],"yy") & "-" & [SeqNum] & "-" & [InitialPhaseID] & "-" & [ContractID]

The table already has a primary key, but since I am required to generate client numbers in this format, I want the UniqueNumber to be saved and searchable. This field never needs to change once the original record is saved. I've tried an Append query, but can't make it work. I assume it's related to the fact that I'm combining Date and Number fields, not to mention the DatePart function. I consistently get a key violation error. Any thoughts on how I can proceed?

Ask a Question