Computer shutting down and trying to restart on its own unsuccessfully

Reaction score
Specifications
Anti virus: Norton
Net connection:ADSL
RAM 256 Mb
HD:40 GB(partitioned into 3 drives of 20, 10 and 10 GB with XP installed in the 10 Gb drive and Win98 in the 20 GB drive)
Processor speed: 2.8 GHz
IBM Thinkcentre Pentium 4
Date of purchase: 26th May 2004.
Problem
Of late while working on Win XP the PC shuts down on its own quite often and tries to restart. But after the XP is selected on the OS selection menu durinfg this restart process, it tries to restart again instead of booting XP. This continues in a loop. If 98 is selected in the OS menu after the sudden shutdown and automatic restart, it generally boots but sometimes even 98 fails to boot.Again after 13-15 hours the PC may start normally. Before that(ie. 13-15 hrs.) the beep sound is heard from the RAM at times, if an attempt to start the PC is made.
Furthermore,sometimes after this sudden shutdown, a message is displayed as follows-
"A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.This problem seems to be caused by the following file:ialmrnt 5
If this is the first time you have seen this stop screen error,restart your computer.If this screen appears again, follow these steps:
The device driver got stuck in an infinite loop. This usually indicates a problem with the device itself or with the device driver programming the hardware incorrectly.
Please check with your hardware device vendor for any driver updates.
Technical information:
***STOP 0x000000EA (0xFFAA1DA8,0xFFAE37B0,0xF96F9CB4,0x00000001)
ialmrnt 5
Beginning dump of physical memory"

If anyone can help me with this, I shall be very grateful. I have called on some so called experts, yet the problem persists till date. Moreover it seems to be getting worse by the day with frequent loss of data while working.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Beep sound from the ram? maybe you need to change it? I dont kno if that is the problem but borrow some ram and test it out.

Ask a Question