computer shuts down with message RPC ????????

Discussion in 'Windows XP Work Remotely' started by dean, Aug 12, 2003.

  1. dean

    dean Guest

    shuts down and restarts about 60 sec and re boots
    please let me know if you have found a way to stop it
    thanks

    dean, Aug 12, 2003

  2. URLs may wrap

    Easy, but annoying fix. When your computer starts go to the services applet
    found in administrative tools. Select properties for the RPC or Remote
    Procedure Call service. Change the Recovery from "Restart Computer" to
    "Restart Service." Now your PC will stay up long enough to fix.

    Next download the Microsoft Patch found at:

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/search.aspx?displaylang=en

    The patch is currently in the top download choices for both Win 2K and Win
    XP. Choose accordingly and download.

    Once the patch is installed make sure to do a full virus scan with current
    virus definitions.
    See Symantec's web page

    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.blaster.worm.html

    Once the worm has been eliminated I recommend running Windows Update to get
    all the current critical updates.
    Lastly, change the RPC service back to "Restart Computer" as the recovery
    method.

    Hope this helps,

    --
    Colin M. McGroarty