Windows XP Computer crashing when CPU usage is high

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
My computer has been crashing when my CPU usage is high, normally when I play a game.

I turned off automatic restart to get the error message, and looked in the event viewer and got this:
Code:
Error code 1000008e, parameter1 c0000005, parameter2 f785f6fc, parameter3 f41836b4, parameter4 00000000.

Memory seems to be fine.

Specs:
Emachine T2892
AMD Athlon XP 2800+
2.09 Ghz 960mb RAM (two 512 sticks, 64 dedicated to integrated video memory)

I am using an antivirus provided by my ISP, it's called F-Secure Antivirus.

If you need anything else I'll try my best to get it to you.

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Hi what game are you playing???

Does it run smooth smooth like watching a movie or is it choppy?

Could be a lot of things to be honest, but i'm sure we will narrow it down on here.

How long have you had your PC? When was the last time it was cleaned?

Are you using XP?

Reaction score
Waynos_Face said:
Hi what game are you playing???

Does it run smooth smooth like watching a movie or is it choppy?

Could be a lot of things to be honest, but i'm sure we will narrow it down on here.

How long have you had your PC? When was the last time it was cleaned?

Are you using XP?

The game is Anarchy Online, it runs fairly smooth.

The computer is pretty old, but still decent. It's about 3-4 years old. I cleaned it a couple days ago when it started crashing.

Yes, I'm using Windows XP Home edition.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Could be an overheating problem. Run one of these and see what your cpu temps are when the pc is under load.Post your findings.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Info/Everest-Home-Edition.shtml

http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

Core Temp is the better prog as it gives you a log file you can look at even if the pc crashes, I'm just not sure if it runs with your cpu.Everset may have a logging feature but I have never tried to find out if that is the case.

happywave.gif

Reaction score
Before I started the game the CPU was at 52°C, when the game started and just before the computer crashed it was at 59°C.

When it crashed I got a BSOD with a stop error:
Code:
Error code 1000008e, parameter1 c0000005, parameter2 bf800c4a, parameter3 f75b69f8, parameter4 00000000.

It said 'win32k.sys' I believe, I didn't write it down.

Last edited:
Reaction score
It's looking like it is an overheating issue, my computer crashes when it his 59°C everytime...I've changed elevation of my computer to see if that helps but it doesn't seem like it does. Any ideas on how to reduce the heat?

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Only choices really are cleaning the fan, applying new thermal paste between the cpu and heatsink or upgrading the cooler.

60C isn't that bad really.

Reaction score
Where can I buy thermal paste? I really don't think there is any there. Which way should the CPU fan be blowing? Away from the heatsink or through it?

Is there anything I can do, like a minidump or something, that I can post when I crash so you can take a look at it?

Last edited:
Reaction score
The fan should be blowing down through the fins. Thermal paste is sold in most online componant/hardware outlets.

You wont be able to see the paste its below the heatsink between tht and the CPU. If your using a AMD machine it will be a pad not paste. It will all need cleanign off with a cleaning fluid fit for purpose.

Make sure all the fans on your motherboard Northbridge/CPU and GFX card are cleaned first before you even attempt to strip and change paste

Reaction score
Applied some paste, seems like it worked. Idling at 48C now and nothing has crashed. I'll post new info if I crash! :D Thanks guys.

Reaction score
Everything still works :D No crashing in sight, I think that's enough to call this problem fixed :)

Thanks for helping me out everybody!

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Excellent - as its now fixed I'll close this thread :thumb:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question