Computer Build

Reaction score
I looking to build my own computer at the moment the one I got my dad's mate build it. However I dont know anything about building computer could any one suggest how I go about it!!! Also I'm only 15 and very intersted in computer's I'll be 16 by next year so I should have a cash flow so I can begin. (I ussually go PC WORLD/MAPLINS) PLEASE HELP!!!!

Reaction score
i was in the same boat as you as to how to go about getting a new computer, id stay away from those shops in town.

i decided after a while to build my own, or like your doing getting a mate, what i did was set myself a budget, then get down to hunting.

read reviews, ask peoples opionions, price comparissons etc etc
i used Ebuyer.co.uk, Crucial.co.uk and overclockers.co.uk.

i got myself the below spec, plus a 19inch monitor, keyboard, mouse, virus software, win xp, for around £950 you wont get that in the shops.

One last thing, depends on what you want to use it for ? games ? etc etc

good luck

Reaction score
We're going to be starting a series of harware installation guides soon, these should show you how to go about installing each component. It really isn't as complicated as everyone makes out, with automatic BIOS settings and quick windows installs its little more than a jigsaw puzzle.

If you have any specific questions i'd be more than happy to help you.

Reaction score
Most BIOS's set themselves, it used to take a while back in the days of jumpers, but for most modern systems it should autodetect everything. Admittedly if you want tip top performance you might want to have a little tinker.

Reaction score
Yes, a big jigsaw is a good way to think about it. Have a look at barebone kits, they provide all the parts you will need but don't include outside of the case components like keyboard mouse and monitor.
You could check out computer magazines that run feature along the lines of "best machine for under £599" etc. These usually feature competitively priced machines, so you know you are getting value for money.
Understanding what is involved in a build is important too, make sure you feel up to it. It really isn't that difficult, so don't let me put you off, it's good to boast to your friend about having built it yourself. Check out some good we pages on the subject
http://www.mysuperpc.com
http://www.buildpc.net
http://www.build-a-computer-guide.com
These should get you started, but there are hundreds more

Ask a Question