Component Transfer Error during game install

Dodo

I formatted my hard drive and installed WinXP, and when I
try to install some games (Planetside, AvP2...) I get a
Component Transfer Error that says "CRC Error: The file
C:\Program Files...etc.. doesn't match the file in the
setup's .cab file." The filepath doesn't really matter,
it happens on many different files. If I Ignore the
error, the setup then hits a Catastrophic Failure error
and crashes. Sometimes I just get a Catastrophic Failure
without anything happening. I know my game cd's aren't
corrupt. Could the WinXP cd be corrupt? I've talked to
the Sony tech support in the Planetside forums, but
they're as lost as I am. Does anyone have any ideas?

Jimmy S.

Hi Dodo,

Search your drives for any virus infestations, and afterwards
disable the antivirus completely and try the installations again.

--
Cheers,
Jimmy S.

Additional Support Resources: My Zone.com Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk
Microsoft Online Tech Support: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=376
Game FAQ's: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms

| I formatted my hard drive and installed WinXP, and when I
| try to install some games (Planetside, AvP2...) I get a
| Component Transfer Error that says "CRC Error: The file
| C:\Program Files...etc.. doesn't match the file in the
| setup's .cab file." The filepath doesn't really matter,
| it happens on many different files. If I Ignore the
| error, the setup then hits a Catastrophic Failure error
| and crashes. Sometimes I just get a Catastrophic Failure
| without anything happening. I know my game cd's aren't
| corrupt. Could the WinXP cd be corrupt? I've talked to
| the Sony tech support in the Planetside forums, but
| they're as lost as I am. Does anyone have any ideas?

Jimmy S.

Glad to be of service! :)