    disks to the hard drive but not sure how to get into the command
    prompt. What are some other ideas I can try? Thanks.

    , Nov 5, 2006

  2. Dave Patrick Guest

    (Note: If your drive controller is not natively supported then you'll want
    to boot the Windows 2000 install CD-Rom (or setup disks). Then *F6* very
    early and very important (at setup is inspecting your system) in the setup
    to prevent drive controller detection, and select S to specify additional
    drivers. Then later you'll be prompted to insert the manufacturer supplied
    Windows 2000 driver for your drive controller in drive "A")

    --

    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    Dave Patrick, Nov 5, 2006

  3. philo Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > My Compaq Laptop with a one bay floppydrive/cdrom, one day, will not
    > boot up to windows 2000 Pro. It will not boot up to the install CD when
    > trying to reinstall window 2000. The laptop was originally Windows 95,
    > then later upgraded to 98 and now 2000. Even after I set the BOIS to
    > allow the CD-ROM to be the first to boot it will not see any bootable
    > CD. I don't have the restore CD.

    <snip>

    you need to go into the bios and see if you can re-detect the harddrive and
    cdrom...

    it appears that they both have not been detected.

    If one device is detected only...
    it's indicative of the other having failed...

    otoh: if neither is detected...it may be a controller problem

    the only good news is that if the controller failed...
    your data on the HD is still there!

    philo, Nov 5, 2006
  4. Gary Chanson Guest

    Additionally, it may be that you simply don't have a bootable CD in the
    drive. The Windows 2000 Setup disk should be bootable but your disk might
    be damaged.

    You should be able to boot into DOS from either a floppy or CD.

    --

    - Gary Chanson (Windows SDK MVP)
    - Abolish Public Schools

    Gary Chanson, Nov 5, 2006
  5. - Bobb - Guest

    "Gary Chanson" <> wrote in message
    > Additionally, it may be that you simply don't have a bootable CD in
    > the
    > drive. The Windows 2000 Setup disk should be bootable but your disk
    > might
    > be damaged.
    >
    > You should be able to boot into DOS from either a floppy or CD.
    >
    > --
    >
    > - Gary Chanson (Windows SDK MVP)
    > - Abolish Public Schools

    re - your signature ... in my town they want to "renovate" all 5
    schools - cost = 285 million friggin dollars. Movin on out.

    - Bobb -, Nov 5, 2006

    wrote:
    > My Compaq Laptop with a one bay floppydrive/cdrom, one day, will not
    > boot up to windows 2000 Pro. It will not boot up to the install CD when
    > trying to reinstall window 2000. The laptop was originally Windows 95,
    > then later upgraded to 98 and now 2000. Even after I set the BOIS to
    > allow the CD-ROM to be the first to boot it will not see any bootable
    > CD. I don't have the restore CD.
    >
    > The reason for reinstalling is because the operating system won't boot
    > up. It hangs. It will boot up to the boot diskettes. After running the
    > win2000 boot diskettes I choose "R' for repair but I get, "cannot find
    > hard drive." I'm trying to get to a command prompt so I can copy the
    > disks to the hard drive but not sure how to get into the command
    > prompt. What are some other ideas I can try? Thanks.

    Your hard drive is dead. Although you can try reseating it. My money's
    on dead. Your CDROM probably died some time ago, or your CD media is
    damaged/dirty. You can try cleaning the lens of the CD drive with
    alcohol and a cotton swab. It's old enough, the leans may just be
    dirty.

    Your laptop is 8-11 years old. Drives fail.

    , Nov 6, 2006

    wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > My Compaq Laptop with a one bay floppydrive/cdrom, one day, will not
    > > boot up to windows 2000 Pro. It will not boot up to the install CD when
    > > trying to reinstall window 2000. The laptop was originally Windows 95,
    > > then later upgraded to 98 and now 2000. Even after I set the BOIS to
    > > allow the CD-ROM to be the first to boot it will not see any bootable
    > > CD. I don't have the restore CD.
    > >
    > > The reason for reinstalling is because the operating system won't boot
    > > up. It hangs. It will boot up to the boot diskettes. After running the
    > > win2000 boot diskettes I choose "R' for repair but I get, "cannot find
    > > hard drive." I'm trying to get to a command prompt so I can copy the
    > > disks to the hard drive but not sure how to get into the command
    > > prompt. What are some other ideas I can try? Thanks.

    > Your hard drive is dead. Although you can try reseating it. My money's
    > on dead. Your CDROM probably died some time ago, or your CD media is
    > damaged/dirty. You can try cleaning the lens of the CD drive with
    > alcohol and a cotton swab. It's old enough, the leans may just be
    > dirty.
    >
    > Your laptop is 8-11 years old. Drives fail.

    Forgot to mention, the OTHER thing that dies on these is CMOS
    batteries, and it forgets settings, like time, and boot order, and all
    kinds of fun stuff, once disconnected from main power.

    , Nov 6, 2006
  8. Gary Chanson Guest

    > "Gary Chanson" <> wrote in message
    > > Additionally, it may be that you simply don't have a bootable CD in
    > > the
    > > drive. The Windows 2000 Setup disk should be bootable but your disk
    > > might
    > > be damaged.
    > >
    > > You should be able to boot into DOS from either a floppy or CD.
    > >
    > > --
    > >
    > > - Gary Chanson (Windows SDK MVP)
    > > - Abolish Public Schools
    > >

    > re - your signature ... in my town they want to "renovate" all 5
    > schools - cost = 285 million friggin dollars. Movin on out.

    Well, they're just looking out for the welfare of ...

    the contractors.

    Gary Chanson, Nov 6, 2006

    wrote:

    > Your hard drive is dead. Although you can try reseating it. My money's
    > on dead. Your CDROM probably died some time ago, or your CD media is
    > damaged/dirty. You can try cleaning the lens of the CD drive with
    > alcohol and a cotton swab. It's old enough, the leans may just be
    > dirty.
    >
    > Your laptop is 8-11 years old. Drives fail.

    The hard drive is old and failing but I would want to try revive it. It
    has worked for many years until it was upgraded to windows 2000 Pro
    then only a few days later it will boot up halfway into windows and
    then hangs.

    I have a startup disk for windows 98 and boot disk for windows 2000 and
    both have failed to open into the command prompt. I've have had
    windows 2000 hang like this before on a brand new hard drive and it
    turns out the solution is to load the startup disk and run chkdsk. How
    do I run chkdsk?

    Thanks

    , Nov 6, 2006
  10. John John Guest

    Gary Chanson wrote:

    >>"Gary Chanson" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> Additionally, it may be that you simply don't have a bootable CD in
    >>>the
    >>>drive. The Windows 2000 Setup disk should be bootable but your disk
    >>>might
    >>>be damaged.
    >>>
    >>> You should be able to boot into DOS from either a floppy or CD.
    >>>
    >>>--
    >>>
    >>>- Gary Chanson (Windows SDK MVP)
    >>>- Abolish Public Schools
    >>>

    >>re - your signature ... in my town they want to "renovate" all 5
    >>schools - cost = 285 million friggin dollars. Movin on out.

    > Well, they're just looking out for the welfare of ...

    > the contractors.
    >
    > --
    >
    > - Gary Chanson (Windows SDK MVP)
    > - Abolish Public Schools

    Whose welfare are private schools looking out for?

    John

    John John, Nov 6, 2006
  11. - Bobb - Guest

    Re: Compaq Laptop won't boot anything.

    retitled subject - it won't boot anything - right ?

    <> wrote in message
    <snipped>

    > The hard drive is old and failing but I would want to try revive it.
    > It
    > has worked for many years until it was upgraded to windows 2000 Pro
    > then only a few days later it will boot up halfway into windows and
    > then hangs.

    1. Any data on there you care about ? If so get an adapter and move the
    drive to desktop PC.
    2. Win 95 !! - what model laptop ? what specs ?
    3. Is this a replacement disk drive ? My reason for asking is BIOS may
    not recognize a drive over 2gb and if you just popped in a 10gb drive,
    the PC may not see it.
    4. did you format hdd ? or upgrade OS ?
    5. So was Win2000 fully installed successfully?
    a. Using MSFT CD or Compaq ?
    b. You found all the drivers ?
    c. and it was working for a few days ?
    6. if you boot a win98 floppy disk, can you then "get to C" ?
    A:\ " dir c: "
    or
    A:\ " CD C: "

    - Bobb -, Nov 6, 2006
  12. Bob I Guest

    Failing harddrives don't "revive". If you have physical failure, and you
    are attempting to install to it, you are wasting your time. They don't
    heal.

    Bob I, Nov 6, 2006
  13. Ben Myers Guest

    Yes. The best one can hope for with a failing/failed hard drive is that it
    will spin up and run long enough so that important DATA files can be copied from
    it onto a replacement hard drive which has been set up with the right operating
    system. As a rule, one forget any possibility of getting copies of installed
    software from a failing hard drive, because the software installation puts lots
    and lots of entries into the Windows registry and splatters program files and
    DLLs all over the hard drive... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Nov 6, 2006

    wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    > > Your hard drive is dead. Although you can try reseating it. My money's
    > > on dead. Your CDROM probably died some time ago, or your CD media is
    > > damaged/dirty. You can try cleaning the lens of the CD drive with
    > > alcohol and a cotton swab. It's old enough, the leans may just be
    > > dirty.
    > >
    > > Your laptop is 8-11 years old. Drives fail.

    > The hard drive is old and failing but I would want to try revive it. It
    > has worked for many years until it was upgraded to windows 2000 Pro
    > then only a few days later it will boot up halfway into windows and
    > then hangs.

    Looks dead, to me.

    Although..... Lots and lots of win95 machines shipped with just 16MB
    RAM. This will work (marginally) for win98. It will not work for win2k.
    64MB is marginal for win2k. IT could be you're fighting a separate
    issue.

    Try nuking the drive and reloading win98.

    This is a program that will wipe your hard drive, even if it's badly
    damaged. But if this doesn't detect your hard drive at all.... you're
    looking at replacing the drive. Period. You will not be able to a use a
    new drive, because new drives are too large. The replacement should be
    under 8gb.

    http://dban.sourceforge.net/

    , Nov 7, 2006
  15. Ian Singer Guest

    wrote:

    > This is a program that will wipe your hard drive, even if it's badly
    > damaged. But if this doesn't detect your hard drive at all.... you're
    > looking at replacing the drive. Period. You will not be able to a use a
    > new drive, because new drives are too large. The replacement should be
    > under 8gb.

    New drives work in old systems, just that they won't see it all. My dos
    desktop has 20 gig drive in it but DOS is only seeing 2 gig partitions
    and will not see anything out past about 7 gig.

    Ian Singer

    See my homepage at http://www.iansinger.com
    hosted on http://www.1and1.com/?k_id=10623894
    All genealogy is stored in TMG from http://www.whollygenes.com
    Charts and searching using TNG from http://www.tngsitebuilding.com
    I am near Toronto Canada, can I tell where you are from your reply?

    Ian Singer, Nov 7, 2006
  16. That is not always true. Sometimes, the system just won't boot at all,
    period, if the drive is too big. It all depends on how the bios is written.

    Barry Watzman, Nov 7, 2006
  17. Gary Chanson Guest

    "John John" <> wrote in message
    > Gary Chanson wrote:
    > > "- Bobb -" <bobb@noemail.123> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>"Gary Chanson" <> wrote in message

    > >>re - your signature ... in my town they want to "renovate" all 5
    > >>schools - cost = 285 million friggin dollars. Movin on out.

    > > Well, they're just looking out for the welfare of ...

    > > the contractors.
    > >
    > > --
    > >
    > > - Gary Chanson (Windows SDK MVP)
    > > - Abolish Public Schools

    > Whose welfare are private schools looking out for?

    Today, probably no one.

    Gary Chanson, Nov 7, 2006
  18. OT - Compaq Laptop won't boot to CD.

    In article <>, Gary Chanson
    <> writes

    >"John John" <> wrote in message
    >> Gary Chanson wrote:
    >> > "- Bobb -" <bobb@noemail.123> wrote in message

    >> > Well, they're just looking out for the welfare of ...

    >> > the contractors.
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> >
    >> > - Gary Chanson (Windows SDK MVP)
    >> > - Abolish Public Schools

    >> Whose welfare are private schools looking out for?

    > Today, probably no one.
    >
    >--
    >
    >- Gary Chanson (Windows SDK MVP)
    >- Abolish Public Schools

    Just out of interest are we talking about British Public Schools, or
    American Public Schools. They are very different animals.
    --
    Nicholas David Richards -

    "Où sont les neiges d'antan?"

    Nicholas D Richards, Nov 9, 2006
  19. Gary Chanson Guest

    Re: OT - Compaq Laptop won't boot to CD.

    "Nicholas D Richards" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>, Gary Chanson
    > <> writes
    > >
    > >"John John" <> wrote in message

    > >> Whose welfare are private schools looking out for?

    > > Today, probably no one.
    > >
    > >--
    > >
    > >- Gary Chanson (Windows SDK MVP)
    > >- Abolish Public Schools
    > >

    > Just out of interest are we talking about British Public Schools, or
    > American Public Schools. They are very different animals.

    American.

    Gary Chanson, Nov 9, 2006