    Accelerated MCSE
    http://www.LearnQuick.Com
    [phone number on web site]

    Herb Martin, Jul 16, 2005

  2. "Herb Martin" wrote in message
    > I have a program which spawns a filter command (batch file) and does it by
    > running CMD.exe in an open window which has the annoying habit of coming
    > to the front and taking focus.
    >
    > I need a tool to push the command prompt to the background and better to
    > minimize it -- my intent is to run it as the first line of the batch.
    >
    > Is there a better way? (Other than fixing the stupid program which calls
    > it which I cannot do directly.)

    You can rewrite the main Batch file as a Subroutine shell, and have
    the Batch file recall itself in a minimized window before passing control
    to the main code and closing the initial window.

    Patch your own code into this outline (where I've placed the relevant
    ECHO command):

    Lines that don't begin with two spaces have wrapped accidentally
    ====Begin cut-and-paste (omit this line)
    @ECHO OFF
    IF [GOTO:]==[%1] GOTO %2 {Subroutine-Handler}
    start /min "CMD window" "%0" GOTO: _MAIN %0 %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9
    @ECHO OFF
    CLS
    EXIT

    GOTO EOF {=Subroutine-section-below=}
    :_MAIN
    FOR %%C IN (1 2 3) DO SHIFT

    ECHO. Your Batch code goes here

    :EOF {End-of-file}

    ====End cut-and-paste (omit this line)
    Simulated Win2000 for study/demo use. Cut-and-paste as Batch text file.
    Batch file troubleshooting: http://www.allenware.com/find?UsualSuspects

    The outline passes any Batch parameters (up to %9) to the _MAIN
    child shell, and restores their normal positions.

    For an explanation of the unusual combo of lines:
    @ECHO OFF
    CLS
    EXIT
    to close the initial window, see our Usual Suspects page
    http://www.allenware.com/find?UsualSuspects
    and look under item
    "Window stays open" MS-DOS window doesn't close (or closes too soon)

    --
    William Allen
    Free interactive Batch Course http://www.allenware.com/icsw/icswidx.htm

    William Allen, Jul 16, 2005
  3. Herb Martin wrote:

    > I have a program which spawns a filter command (batch file) and does it by
    > running CMD.exe in an open window which has the annoying habit of coming
    > to the front and taking focus.
    >
    > I need a tool to push the command prompt to the background and better to
    > minimize it -- my intent is to run it as the first line of the batch.
    >
    > Is there a better way? (Other than fixing the stupid program which calls
    > it which I cannot do directly.)

    Hi,

    A couple of freeware command line tools that can do this:

    Min.exe
    http://www.paulsadowski.com/WSH/cmdprogs.htm

    ShowConsole.exe
    http://groups.google.co.uk/group/mi...admin/msg/360bde2490a40b13?dmode=source&hl=en

    the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

    Torgeir Bakken \(MVP\), Jul 16, 2005
  4. Herb Martin

    Mark V Guest

    In microsoft.public.win2000.cmdprompt.admin Torgeir Bakken (MVP)
    wrote:

    > Herb Martin wrote:
    >
    >> I have a program which spawns a filter command (batch file) and
    >> does it by running CMD.exe in an open window which has the
    >> annoying habit of coming to the front and taking focus.
    >>
    >> I need a tool to push the command prompt to the background and
    >> better to minimize it -- my intent is to run it as the first
    >> line of the batch.
    >>
    >> Is there a better way? (Other than fixing the stupid program
    >> which calls it which I cannot do directly.)
    >>

    > Hi,
    >
    > A couple of freeware command line tools that can do this:
    >
    > Min.exe
    > http://www.paulsadowski.com/WSH/cmdprogs.htm
    >
    > ShowConsole.exe
    > http://groups.google.co.uk/group/microsoft.public.win2000.cmdprom
    > pt.admin/msg/360bde2490a40b13?dmode=source&hl=en

    And adding CMDOW.EXE
    http://www.commandline.co.uk/
    http://www.commandline.co.uk/cmdow/index.html

    Mark V, Jul 16, 2005
  5. Herb Martin

    dolapos

    Joined:
    Apr 9, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    William Allen's Solution works!

    I had the same kind of problem and just fixed it using the solution suggested by William.

    Thanks Mr. Allen!

    dolapos, Apr 9, 2009