    than a regular formula.

    Can someone please help?

    Mike

    Takeadoe, May 19, 2011

  2. Takeadoe

    Jim Cone Guest

    See... http://www.cpearson.com/excel/colors.aspx
    --
    Jim Cone
    Portland, Oregon USA .
    http://www.mediafire.com/PrimitiveSoftware .
    ('Shade Data Rows' the way you want them)

    Jim Cone, May 19, 2011

  3. Takeadoe

    Takeadoe Guest

    On May 19, 12:26 pm, "Jim Cone" <> wrote:
    > See...http://www.cpearson.com/excel/colors.aspx
    > --
    > Jim Cone
    > Portland, Oregon USA .http://www.mediafire.com/PrimitiveSoftware.
    > ('Shade Data Rows' the way you want them)
    >
    > "Takeadoe" <>
    > wrote in messagenews:...
    >

    > > I'm at a loss to explain why this formula
    > > =ColorIndexOfOneCell(B3,FALSE,1) works in one workbook, but not
    > > another.  I have this vague recollection that it has something to do
    > > with it being a "macro" or VBA and that I had to enter it differently
    > > than a regular formula.

    > > Can someone please help?

    > > Mike- Hide quoted text -

    Jim - Read that before posting. It didn't help. There are no macros
    available to the file that it is working in, so I'm at a loss why it
    is not working in the other file.

    Mike

    Takeadoe, May 19, 2011
  4. Takeadoe

    Gord Dibben Guest

    The function must be available for all open workbooks by placing in an add-in,
    personal.xls or copied to each and every workbook you need it in.

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

    Gord Dibben, May 19, 2011
  5. Takeadoe

    Jim Cone Guest

    There is code someplace...
    1. Personal.xls (.xlsm)
    2. An Add-in
    3. Sheet module (one for each sheet)
    4. ThisWorkbook module
    5. Standard module (inserted by user)
    6. Class module (inserted by user)
    --
    Jim Cone
    Portland, Oregon USA .
    http://www.mediafire.com/PrimitiveSoftware .
    (free and commercial excel programs)

    Jim Cone, May 19, 2011
  6. Takeadoe

    Takeadoe Guest

    On May 19, 1:01 pm, Gord Dibben <> wrote:
    > The function must be available for all open workbooks by placing in an add-in,
    > personal.xls or copied to each and every workbook you need it in.
    >
    > Gord Dibben     MS Excel MVP
    >

    > On Thu, 19 May 2011 09:35:07 -0700 (PDT), Takeadoe <> wrote:
    > >On May 19, 12:26 pm, "Jim Cone" <> wrote:
    > >> See...http://www.cpearson.com/excel/colors.aspx
    > >> --
    > >> Jim Cone
    > >> Portland, Oregon USA .http://www.mediafire.com/PrimitiveSoftware.
    > >> ('Shade Data Rows' the way you want them)

    > >Jim - Read that before posting.  It didn't help.  There are no macros
    > >available to the file that it is working in, so I'm at a loss why it
    > >is not working in the other file.

    > >Mike- Hide quoted text -

    Gord - where I guess I'm getting confused is there must be more to the
    function than just what is being typed into the cell. Is that right?
    If so, where is this information hiding?

    Takeadoe, May 19, 2011
  7. Takeadoe

    Gord Dibben Guest

    The Function code is "hiding" in a module somewhere.

    You responded to Jim that you read the material at Chip's site.

    http://www.cpearson.com/excel/colors.aspx

    Not too well, I would say.

    UDF colorindexofonecell also depends upon another function which it calls with
    this

    If IsValidColorIndex(ColorIndex:=DefaultColorIndex) = True Then

    Note "IsValidColorIndex" function.

    I suggest you download the Workbook Chip provides so you have access to all the
    functions necessary.

    "You can download a module file that contains all the code on this page. The
    various procedures within the modColorFunctions.bas module call upon one
    another, so you should import the entire module into your project, rather than
    copying single procedures."

    Gord

    Gord Dibben, May 19, 2011
  8. Takeadoe

    Takeadoe Guest

    On May 19, 1:59 pm, Gord Dibben <> wrote:
    > The Function code is "hiding" in a module somewhere.
    >
    > You responded to Jim that you read the material at Chip's site.
    >
    > http://www.cpearson.com/excel/colors.aspx
    >
    > Not too well, I would say.
    >
    > UDF colorindexofonecell  also depends upon another function which it calls with
    > this
    >
    >       If IsValidColorIndex(ColorIndex:=DefaultColorIndex) = True Then
    >
    > Note  "IsValidColorIndex"  function.
    >
    > I suggest you download the Workbook Chip provides so you have access to all the
    > functions necessary.
    >
    > "You can download a module file that contains all the code on this page. The
    > various procedures within the modColorFunctions.bas module call upon one
    > another, so you should import the entire module into your project, ratherthan
    > copying single procedures."
    >
    > Gord
    >

    > On Thu, 19 May 2011 10:41:59 -0700 (PDT), Takeadoe <> wrote:
    > >Gord - where I guess I'm getting confused is there must be more to the
    > >function than just what is being typed into the cell.  Is that right?
    > >If so, where is this information hiding?- Hide quoted text -

    Gord - Nothing jumped out at me, as I don't remember ever doing that
    before, so it seemed irrelevant. Thanks for your help. I do
    appreciate it.

    Mike

    Takeadoe, May 19, 2011
  9. Takeadoe

    Takeadoe Guest

    On May 19, 1:59 pm, Gord Dibben <> wrote:
    > The Function code is "hiding" in a module somewhere.
    >
    > You responded to Jim that you read the material at Chip's site.
    >
    > http://www.cpearson.com/excel/colors.aspx
    >
    > Not too well, I would say.
    >
    > UDF colorindexofonecell  also depends upon another function which it calls with
    > this
    >
    >       If IsValidColorIndex(ColorIndex:=DefaultColorIndex) = True Then
    >
    > Note  "IsValidColorIndex"  function.
    >
    > I suggest you download the Workbook Chip provides so you have access to all the
    > functions necessary.
    >
    > "You can download a module file that contains all the code on this page. The
    > various procedures within the modColorFunctions.bas module call upon one
    > another, so you should import the entire module into your project, ratherthan
    > copying single procedures."
    >
    > Gord
    >

    > On Thu, 19 May 2011 10:41:59 -0700 (PDT), Takeadoe <> wrote:
    > >Gord - where I guess I'm getting confused is there must be more to the
    > >function than just what is being typed into the cell.  Is that right?
    > >If so, where is this information hiding?- Hide quoted text -

    Gord - Just to follow up to make sure I'm clear. If I search my
    computer for the following text: "If
    IsValidColorIndex(ColorIndex:=DefaultColorIndex) " I should locate
    it? Second, the function must be "configured" to only work in that
    workbook where it is currently working?

    Mike

    Takeadoe, May 19, 2011
  10. Takeadoe

    Gord Dibben Guest

    Did you download the workbook with all the Color Functions from Chip's site?

    Is it open?

    If so then the functions will be available for ALL open workbooks.

    I have no idea where your original code may be stored but if it works only in
    one workbook I would guess that the code is in a module in that workbook and it
    is the only workbook you have open at the time.

    When it "does not work" what error message are you getting.

    If you want you could send the workbook that "works" to my email.

    Change phnorton to gorddibb

    Gord

    Gord Dibben, May 19, 2011
  11. Takeadoe

    Takeadoe Guest

    On May 19, 3:13 pm, Gord Dibben <> wrote:
    > Did you download the workbook with all the Color Functions from Chip's site?
    >
    > Is it open?
    >
    > If so then the functions will be available for ALL open workbooks.
    >
    > I have no idea where your original code may be stored but if it works only in
    > one workbook I would guess that the code is in a module in that workbook and it
    > is the only workbook you have open at the time.
    >
    > When it "does not work" what error message are you getting.
    >
    > If you want you could send the workbook that "works" to my email.
    >
    > Change phnorton to gorddibb
    >
    > Gord
    >

    > On Thu, 19 May 2011 11:11:26 -0700 (PDT), Takeadoe <> wrote:
    > >Gord - Just to follow up to make sure I'm clear.  If I search my
    > >computer for the following text: "If
    > >IsValidColorIndex(ColorIndex:=DefaultColorIndex) " I should locate
    > >it?  Second, the function must be "configured" to only work in that
    > >workbook where it is currently working?

    > >Mike- Hide quoted text -

    I will download the workbook first and let you know. As for sending
    you an email. Thank you. I may take you up on that. Do I simply hit

    Thanks for the help and your patience.

    Mike

    Takeadoe, May 19, 2011
  12. Takeadoe