=ColorIndexOfOneCell(B3,FALSE,1)

Takeadoe

I'm at a loss to explain why this formula
=ColorIndexOfOneCell(B3,FALSE,1) works in one workbook, but not
another. I have this vague recollection that it has something to do
with it being a "macro" or VBA and that I had to enter it differently
than a regular formula.

Can someone please help?

Mike

Gord Dibben

The function must be available for all open workbooks by placing in an add-in,
personal.xls or copied to each and every workbook you need it in.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

Jim Cone

There is code someplace...
1. Personal.xls (.xlsm)
2. An Add-in
3. Sheet module (one for each sheet)
4. ThisWorkbook module
5. Standard module (inserted by user)
6. Class module (inserted by user)
--
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon USA .

"Takeadoe" <[email protected]>
wrote in message
See...http://www.cpearson.com/excel/colors.aspx
--
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon USA .http://www.mediafire.com/PrimitiveSoftware.
('Shade Data Rows' the way you want them)

"Takeadoe" <[email protected]>

Jim - Read that before posting. It didn't help. There are no macros
available to the file that it is working in, so I'm at a loss why it
is not working in the other file.

Mike

Takeadoe

The function must be available for all open workbooks by placing in an add-in,
personal.xls or copied to each and every workbook you need it in.

Gord Dibben     MS Excel MVP

Gord - where I guess I'm getting confused is there must be more to the
function than just what is being typed into the cell. Is that right?
If so, where is this information hiding?

Gord Dibben

The Function code is "hiding" in a module somewhere.

You responded to Jim that you read the material at Chip's site.

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/colors.aspx

Not too well, I would say.

UDF colorindexofonecell also depends upon another function which it calls with
this

If IsValidColorIndex(ColorIndex:=DefaultColorIndex) = True Then

Note "IsValidColorIndex" function.

I suggest you download the Workbook Chip provides so you have access to all the
functions necessary.

"You can download a module file that contains all the code on this page. The
various procedures within the modColorFunctions.bas module call upon one
another, so you should import the entire module into your project, rather than
copying single procedures."

Gord

Takeadoe

The Function code is "hiding" in a module somewhere.

You responded to Jim that you read the material at Chip's site.

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/colors.aspx

Not too well, I would say.

UDF colorindexofonecell  also depends upon another function which it calls with
this

      If IsValidColorIndex(ColorIndex:=DefaultColorIndex) = True Then

Note  "IsValidColorIndex"  function.

I suggest you download the Workbook Chip provides so you have access to all the
functions necessary.

"You can download a module file that contains all the code on this page. The
various procedures within the modColorFunctions.bas module call upon one
another, so you should import the entire module into your project, ratherthan
copying single procedures."

Gord

Gord - Nothing jumped out at me, as I don't remember ever doing that
before, so it seemed irrelevant. Thanks for your help. I do
appreciate it.

Mike

Takeadoe

The Function code is "hiding" in a module somewhere.

You responded to Jim that you read the material at Chip's site.

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/colors.aspx

Not too well, I would say.

UDF colorindexofonecell  also depends upon another function which it calls with
this

      If IsValidColorIndex(ColorIndex:=DefaultColorIndex) = True Then

Note  "IsValidColorIndex"  function.

I suggest you download the Workbook Chip provides so you have access to all the
functions necessary.

"You can download a module file that contains all the code on this page. The
various procedures within the modColorFunctions.bas module call upon one
another, so you should import the entire module into your project, ratherthan
copying single procedures."

Gord

Gord - Just to follow up to make sure I'm clear. If I search my
computer for the following text: "If
IsValidColorIndex(ColorIndex:=DefaultColorIndex) " I should locate
it? Second, the function must be "configured" to only work in that
workbook where it is currently working?

Mike

Gord Dibben

Did you download the workbook with all the Color Functions from Chip's site?

Is it open?

If so then the functions will be available for ALL open workbooks.

I have no idea where your original code may be stored but if it works only in
one workbook I would guess that the code is in a module in that workbook and it
is the only workbook you have open at the time.

When it "does not work" what error message are you getting.

If you want you could send the workbook that "works" to my email.

Change phnorton to gorddibb

Gord

Takeadoe

Did you download the workbook with all the Color Functions from Chip's site?

Is it open?

If so then the functions will be available for ALL open workbooks.

I have no idea where your original code may be stored but if it works only in
one workbook I would guess that the code is in a module in that workbook and it
is the only workbook you have open at the time.

When it "does not work" what error message are you getting.

If you want you could send the workbook that "works" to my email.

Change phnorton to gorddibb

Gord

I will download the workbook first and let you know. As for sending
you an email. Thank you. I may take you up on that. Do I simply hit

Thanks for the help and your patience.

Mike