CMD.exe stopped working. Please help

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 2000 CMD Promt' started by Trent, Sep 27, 2004.

  1. Trent

    Trent Guest

    Hello, everyone.

    For some unknown reason, the cmd.exe on my Windows 2000 server stopped
    working.

    I tried to execute it from the Run box, Accessories | command prompt
    shortcut.
    None of those brought up the usual Windows command prompt.
    When I checked the Task Manager, I saw it running there. I killed it
    and ran the cmd again. Same thing happened.
    In short, the cmd did execute the cmd.exe. It ran in the task manager
    but the cmd.exe does not bring up the command window.
    Has anyone seen this problem before?
    Rebooted the server already.....

    Please advise.

    Thanks.

    TJ

    Trent, Sep 27, 2004

  2. Trent wrote:
    >Hello, everyone.
    >
    >For some unknown reason, the cmd.exe on my Windows 2000 server stopped
    >working.
    >
    >I tried to execute it from the Run box, Accessories | command prompt
    >shortcut.
    >None of those brought up the usual Windows command prompt.
    >When I checked the Task Manager, I saw it running there. I killed it
    >and ran the cmd again. Same thing happened.
    >In short, the cmd did execute the cmd.exe. It ran in the task manager
    >but the cmd.exe does not bring up the command window.
    >Has anyone seen this problem before?
    >Rebooted the server already.....
    >
    >Please advise.

    I'd create a shortct to %systemroot%\system32\cmd.exe on the dsktop
    and tweak the position of the window in the properties.
    It may simply be out of the screen after changing the resolution for
    example.

    --
    Greetings

    Matthias Tacke, Sep 27, 2004