cmd.exe always running at startup

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help' started by Guest, Oct 10, 2004.

    Hi everybody, here's a detailed description of my problem:

    From last week until now, every time I boot up windows, a little DOS prompt
    appears (when the desktop shows) saying that the cmd.exe is getting
    reinstalled. That prompt dissappears and a new one appears where nothing
    happens. The header on the window only shows the path of the cmd.exe, while
    the window itslef is blank. If I remember correctly, it is the default path:
    "c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe". Meanwhile, the hard disk is processing,
    finishing the loading of other things, like norton 2002 and the ati taskbar
    icon. I don't think that's the problem, however, because that has been my
    normal startup for a long time and the window had never appeared. I have not
    made any software changes since about a month ago, so I don't think it's that
    either. In fact, the window started showing up just after I installed a
    microsoft sidewinder gamepad (6 button, USB), which I just plugged in and let
    Windows load a default driver for it. I have not installed any hardware apart
    from that one. My computer has not behaved in any weird way, and I checked
    with norton and panda for viral activity, and both report that there is none.
    I removed the gamepad from my devices but still the problem persists.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

    Guest, Oct 10, 2004

    Wesley Vogel Guest

    Start | Run | Type: msconfig | OK |
    Startup tab

    Do you see anything related to cmd.exe?

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    Wes

    In news:,
    Eduardo_Barillas <> hunted and
    pecked:

    Wesley Vogel, Oct 10, 2004

    Yeah, I forgot to say that I had already checked in msconfig, and there is
    nothing related to the process. In fact, the process stops after Windows has
    completely loaded. I saw the Task Manager, and while windows is loading
    indeed that little window appears as a running application, but it ends along
    with the end of the startup. Also, I don't think it has anything to do with
    online stuff because this happens to me while I am offline, too.

    I am absolutely sure that it happened right after I installed the sidewinder
    gamepad, since that is the only change that I have donde to the pc's software
    and hardware configuration in the last couple of months. I was offline at the
    time of the installation. However, it is really weird that a simple usb game
    pad would cause such behaviour, so I'm really perplexed about all of this.

    Guest, Oct 12, 2004
  4. Just a thought, may not be related though

    Remove remnants of KWBot.Worm from the Registry and File System
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_clean_kwbot.htm
    This VB Script will the common Registry entries and files created by the KWBot.Worm.
    This worm causes an error message that "CMD32.EXE" cannot be found on startup. The
    error message may also be that "system32.exe" cannot be found.

    Taurarian Constellation, Oct 13, 2004
  5. I too am experiencing this problem.

    Michael Hernandez, Oct 13, 2004