closed word doc without saving...can I recover it?

G

I closed my word document and when prompted to save changes, I hit no by
accident...can I get to the last "autosaved" version? if so, how? Thanks

G

You are thinking of the AutoRecover file, which is a temporary file to
restore in case of a crash of Word or your system. If Word or your system
did not crash, the recovery file has been deleted.

If you never saved the file, there is nothing to recover. If you have a
previously changed version without your most recent changes, that's the best
you can "recover".

Reaction score
Perhaps things have changed, but with Microsoft Word 2010 this is not necessarily true. I just closed a document I have been editing for 2 days. Usually I save every few hours, but apparently I have not been thinking that clearly what with having the flu.

First I opened the document back up and confirmed it was the preedited document. Then, leaving it open, I used Windows Explorer to search my whole computer for *.ASD files and up popped up my latest Auto Saved Document (along with a lot of stuff I did not want)!

When I double clicked on the Auto Saved Document to open it I was given the option of comparing it with the old document or replacing the old document with this. I simply checked a recent correction I had made and the page length to find the correction was there and this Auto Saved Document was 5 pages longer than the old document that I had not saved and so I clicked 'Replace'. It took a few seconds doing this, then the unedited document was replaced with the Auto Saved Document file and I can now continue my editing having lost NOTHING! I am VERY thankful to Microsoft for this!

David

Ask a Question