CLONING my harrdrive help needed.

Reaction score
hiya after a little thought im thinking of cloning my western digital 120gb onto a possibly 160 or 200gb seagate baracuda.

i am going to use norton ghost. i did clone before but i have seem to forgotten some basics. is it better to ghost through dos? or windows xp?

has anyone ghosted before? is it safe?
please tell me your thoughts on this topic.
every reader please reply!

Reaction score
use ghost in DOS (you'll find it'll reboot to dos anyway when it performs any task)

nothing is 100% safe but ghost is about as close as you get, you won't lose anything anyway because cloning creates a copy of the original data, so if it all goes t*ts up then you'll still have the original image on the original hard drive.

Reaction score
haha thats v funny dont sound convincing my old mucker!

im worried if just one file is corrupt. it mite stop at that one file. which will be a total b****!

Reaction score
i may not have put it across very well what i was saying is that when you clone a hard disk you are making a copy of it's contents (an image = exact copy/clone) it leaves the original untouched/. even if the backup fails then the original copy will be fine.

and i can be convincing when i want to be, ask sarah from friday nite! ;)

Reaction score
haha lol u joker. yes the orignal will be alrite. i did close before it was alrite but months later starting getting errors to apoint where the drive became corrupt and unacessible. but i dont know if this was to do with cloning the harrdrive.

regards::)

Reaction score
it won't have been if you cloned it right. it's more likely it was some dodgy software or virus you had on there, or possibly a fault with disk. a clone will have problems if the drive has a fault because generally when a hard drive is failing it misplaces data.

Reaction score
can't really remember much! ;)

think she was called sarah anyway, could be emma.

maybe clare

suzy?

doesn't matter anyway, whole new weekend in two days!

Ask a Question