    Any other ideas on how to free a large amount of space?
    Thanks,
    Chris

    Chris, Jul 15, 2009

  2. Chris

    JS Guest

    The files shown in Blue are infrequently accessed files and Windows
    have compressed them to save space.

    Take a look at CCleaner as a tool to remove Internet history info,
    cookies, temp files, auto complete and other junk.
    Note that when CCleaner is first installed most if not all the options
    are checked which is far too aggressive. So I recommend unchecking
    all the items listed in 'Applications' tab and in the 'Windows' tab
    selectively place a check mark for only those options that are of some
    value in increasing the amount of free space on your PC.
    The 'Analyze' button allows you preview (without actually deleting)
    what and how much hard drive space you will get back.
    Also available is customization, see Options/Custom to add any
    other/additional folders you want files deleted from.
    http://www.ccleaner.com/

    Next: Empty the Recycle Bin.

    If you recently installed Windows XP Service Pack 3:
    Look for an odd folder name which is located here
    C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download\cf8ec753e88561d..........\
    Note: the apparent random set of letter and number may vary from my
    example above but whatever the name is, it will be more than
    600MB in size and can be safely deleted.
    You may also see a number of other folders or files located in the:
    C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download\ directory
    They also can be deleted.

    You can also free up more disk space by reducing
    the number of 'System Restore' points:
    Select Start/Control Panel/System, then in the System Properties window
    click on the System Restore tab.
    Next select the drive letter where Windows is installed (usually C:),
    Then click on the Setting button
    Now in the Drive Settings window move the Disk space usage slider to the
    left to reduce the amount of drive space System Restore points will use.
    This will remove some of the older restore points and free up some space.

    Disable Hibernation and delete hiberfil.sys file (If you have it enabled):
    http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/...sys-hibernation-file-in-windows-xp-and-vista/
    and:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/mobility/getstarted/hibernate.mspx
    and: http://www.softwarepatch.com/tips/hiberfil-sys-xp.html

    If you are using IE7 and then installed SP3 read the info below.
    IE7 users will find the folders listed below on their hard drive:
    $NtServicePackUninstallIDNMitigationAPIs$
    $NtServicePackUninstallNLSDownlevelMapping$
    They are needed to uninstall IE7. However, if you installed IE7 and
    then installed XP SP3 you can no longer uninstall IE7 and these
    folders can also be deleted.

    Note: The recommended procedure before installing XP SP3 is to
    uninstall IE7 or IE8, then install XP SP3. Now you still have the ability to
    install and uninstall IE7 or IE8.

    Next if you still need more space:
    Remove the files used to uninstall updates to Windows
    These folders and associated files in these folders are safe to remove,
    however once deleted you will no longer be able to un-install a patch or
    update that was associated with the deleted folder/files.
    I would keep the most recent set (last two months just in case) of folders
    and delete the older updates.
    As a safety net I burned these folders to a CD before deleting them.
    These files are located in the Windows folder and have folder names
    like $NtUninstallKBXXXXXX$.
    They are hidden folders so enable viewing of hidden files in Windows
    Explorer.
    Warning: One folder you should not delete is: $hf_mig$
    Also See the following web pages on this issue:
    http://www.pagestart.com/ntuninstall.html
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/spack.htm
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_hotfix_backup.htm

    If you upgraded your PC from Windows 98 to Windows XP.
    The $Win98UpdateUninstall$ can be deleted.

    You can reduce the size of the Internet Explorer Disk Cache:
    How and Why to Clear Your Cache:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/ie6/using/howto/customizing/clearcache.mspx
    Just follow the instructions but instead of increasing the size
    (as stated in the article) decrease it.

    Can I move or delete my C:\I386 directory to free up some space?
    See:
    http://ask-leo.com/can_i_move_or_delete_my_i386_directory_to_free_up_some_space.html
    Note: C:\i386 is not to be confused with the
    C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386 folder which should not
    be moved or deleted as Windows File Protection needs those files

    Finally: Check the Recycle Bin one more time and empty it
    if necessary as some of those files you deleted in the steps
    mentioned above may find there way into the recycle bin.

    If you have more than one partition or drive then:
    How to Change the Default Location of Mail and News Folders:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307971/en-us

    Change the Default Location of the My Documents Folder
    (Example: move it to the D drive)
    See: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310147
    Also:
    http://www.techsupportalert.com/how_to_move_my_documents.htm

    How to move the Spool folder in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q308666

    MS Office: Move the Local Install Source (MSOCache) location
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/825933
    (See the section titled: Move LIS Cache folder to a new drive location)
    Note: If your computer already had more than one hard drive or partition
    when you installed MS Office, Office will place the MSOCache on the drive or
    partition with the most available free space during the install process.

    --
    JS
    http://www.pagestart.com

    JS, Jul 15, 2009

  3. Chris

    B Brannigan Guest

    JS,

    I've followed these instructions - very useful, thank you.

    What about the directory Downloaded Installations, which has 10+ folders
    like {OA797BC1-A9CC-4189-AC9D-4CF36C43F957}, about 5 of which are related to
    itunes. Can I delete all \ some of them?

    Thanks
    --
    B Brannigan

    B Brannigan, Jul 22, 2009
  4. Chris

    JS Guest

    You're welcome.

    --
    JS
    http://www.pagestart.com

    JS, Jul 22, 2009
  5. Chris

    B Brannigan Guest

    B Brannigan, Jul 22, 2009
  6. Chris

    JS Guest

    Can you post the full path as to where these files
    are located so we are both on the same page.

    JS, Jul 22, 2009