Clean system and reboot, reboot, reboot etc.........

Discussion in 'Spyware Discussion' started by James, Aug 21, 2005.

  1. James

    James Guest

    I cleaned my system of some spyware and had to reboot my
    system to finish cleaning out the spyware. Then my
    computer kept rebooting constanly. If anyone has this
    problem here is the solution to fix it.

    1: Find your windows install disk and let it go through
    the install part.
    2: after it gets to the startup procedure and it gives
    you the option to install a clean version of windows.
    Don't do that. Instead go to the fix option (Windows XP
    Version).
    3: it will bring up a DOS window and fixes the windows
    index files.
    4: Type help after the C:\Windows\ prompt
    5: and type fixboot
    For some reason the boot sector gets messed up and goes
    to rebooting constanly I don't know if this is an issues
    with the spyware software or the spyware itself but this
    will fix it.

    James, Aug 21, 2005

  2. Thanks for the post James, and nice work at getting out of that fix.

    I'm quite sure this side effect relates to the spyware itself--but it might
    be worth letting Microsoft know what happened.

    There's a log file of cleaning actions--cleaner.log--in the installation
    folder, typically c:\program files\microsoft antispyware.

    You might see whether you can cut and paste the most recent set of actions
    from that file into a tools, suspected spyware report--and describe what
    happened to you.

    I'm not sure you'll be able to submit the report--some users are not, due to
    a bug in the beta1 program.

    Those folks, or others, might be interested in what such a report looks like
    at the other end--here's a real-world example:

    https://www.spynet.com/spywarescan_results.aspx?ScanID=43da3edd-ca06-4d59-aab4-56a9cc5026e0

    I don't recommend posting these, really--there's a fair chance there's
    personal information in there--but I've looked at mine before and not found
    anything I was too dismayed at posting for the world.

    Bill Sanderson, Aug 22, 2005