CHKDSK runs every time I boot!

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help' started by jaze, Sep 6, 2003.

  1. jaze

    jaze Guest

    EVERY time I boot my PC, CHKDSK needs to run for drive E. I let it.
    whether I reboot immediately or later, CHKDSK runs again. I've tried
    Norton Disk Doctor also, to no avail.
    Naturally, I can't defrag drive E due to the impending CHKDSK. I tried
    to clone (image) the partitions onto another drive so I could reformat
    drive 1, but I can't start the copy due to the need to run CHKDSK.

    Drive 0 = 18.2GB U160 HDD (C) - FAT32
    Drive 1 = ATA/100 20GB partition 1 (D). 91GB partition 2 (E) - NTFS

    Windows XP Pro, 2.6GHz, 1GB, MX440 64MB, ASUS P4 MoBo, UltraPlex Wide
    UW CD-ROM, external USB 2.0 CD/RW, wireless keyboard/mouse, scanner,
    printer, yada, yada, yada.
    NAV 2003 Pro, Ad-Aware Pro 6.0.181, PestPatrol Corporate v4.2.0.53,
    Diskeeper v8.0.459 Pro, Zone Alarm v4.0.146.029

    Any legitimate suggestions? How about an MS KB article addressing this
    issue?

    -Jaze

    jaze, Sep 6, 2003

  2. jaze

    Malvern Guest

    "jaze" <> wrote in message
    > EVERY time I boot my PC, CHKDSK needs to run for drive E. I let it.
    > whether I reboot immediately or later, CHKDSK runs again. I've tried
    > Norton Disk Doctor also, to no avail.
    > Naturally, I can't defrag drive E due to the impending CHKDSK. I tried
    > to clone (image) the partitions onto another drive so I could reformat
    > drive 1, but I can't start the copy due to the need to run CHKDSK.

    <snip>
    From another message reply on a different problem...
    Start>Run> type in "msconfig" (no quotation marks). In dialog box, select
    Startup tab. If Chkdisk is in the list, uncheck it.

    Malv

    Malvern, Sep 6, 2003

  3. jaze

    Knoj Guest

    jaze <> wrote in

    > EVERY time I boot my PC, CHKDSK needs to run for drive E. I let it.
    > whether I reboot immediately or later, CHKDSK runs again. I've tried
    > Norton Disk Doctor also, to no avail.
    > Naturally, I can't defrag drive E due to the impending CHKDSK. I tried
    > to clone (image) the partitions onto another drive so I could reformat
    > drive 1, but I can't start the copy due to the need to run CHKDSK.
    >
    > Drive 0 = 18.2GB U160 HDD (C) - FAT32
    > Drive 1 = ATA/100 20GB partition 1 (D). 91GB partition 2 (E) - NTFS
    >
    > Windows XP Pro, 2.6GHz, 1GB, MX440 64MB, ASUS P4 MoBo, UltraPlex Wide
    > UW CD-ROM, external USB 2.0 CD/RW, wireless keyboard/mouse, scanner,
    > printer, yada, yada, yada.
    > NAV 2003 Pro, Ad-Aware Pro 6.0.181, PestPatrol Corporate v4.2.0.53,
    > Diskeeper v8.0.459 Pro, Zone Alarm v4.0.146.029
    >
    > Any legitimate suggestions? How about an MS KB article addressing this
    > issue?
    >
    > -Jaze

    I was having this problem until today. I used this simple fix. It might
    help you.

    1. click on your start menu and open the run dialog.
    2. type "cmd" and return (note: dont enter quotes)
    3. Next type "fsutil dirty query e:"
    4. If the return message indicates that the volume is dirty go to step 5
    5. Next type "chkdsk e: /f /x"
    6. After that finshes repeat step 3.
    7. If it is no longer dirty then reboot and you should notice no more
    ckdisk.

    If this process doesn't work check out Kelly's site, listed by a
    previous response earlier today.

    Knoj, Sep 6, 2003
  4. jaze

    49ersnews

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Thanks for this fix! The problem came up last night when one of my drives failed. For some reason my other drive was marked as dirty. I ran the full chkdsk on boot which ran twice but the drive was still marked dirty.

    I disabled the virtual memory on the dirty drive (my secondary disk, if it's your C: drive you should move the virtual memory to another drive.) which then allowed me to run the "chkdsk x: /f /x" command from cmd prompt within XP. FIXED! :)

    49ersnews, Mar 20, 2006
  5. jaze

    GeoffI

    Joined:
    Mar 29, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    THANKS!!!!

    I've been working on this exact same problem with my F: Drive for WEEKS!
    It worked the VERY FIRST TIME!
    AWESOME, Dudes!

    --Geoff

    GeoffI, Mar 29, 2006
  6. jaze

    hello4mark

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Thanx

    i've had the same problem for months. i decided to try and fix it tonight. it took me all of 30 seconds to do. thanx guys... i can get wasted tonoght instead !

    hello4mark, Jul 21, 2006
  7. jaze

    LucLinh

    Joined:
    Sep 9, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Works wonderfully well

    :thumb: :D
    :thumb: :thumb: :D :D
    W O W ! ! !

    Thanks a lot folks.

    I had exactly the same problem annoying me for a while. All my tries had only been waste of time, even the chkdsk /f /x was having no effect at all. [​IMG]

    Then, further down I found 49ersnews' post mentioning about disabling virtual memory. One of my " dirty drives" (from a multi-partitioned drive) was exactly the one allocated exclusively as paging file. I disabled the virtual memory and .... [​IMG]

    VOILA' ... BINGO !!!! I was able to run chkdsk from DOS prompt within XP and fix both stubborn "dirty drives". It's now all back to normal life... WONDERFUL.

    Once again. thanks a lot. THUMBS UP for you all from a very happy person.

    Luciano :D :D :thumb:

    Last edited: Sep 9, 2006
    LucLinh, Sep 9, 2006
  8. jaze

    bbbobbbo

    Joined:
    Oct 20, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Knoj, thanx a bunch PAL!!!!
    nice, nice post - i was determined to go get myself a new hdd as a last resort until i came across ur post, after having searched repeatedly the whole net to no avail!!

    praying for ur health man

    bbbobbbo, Oct 20, 2006
  9. jaze

    pws_dk

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Godd advice die hard! Thanks to knoj #3 above (2003!!)
    Worked for me todays. Thanks.

    pws_dk, Mar 20, 2007
  10. jaze

    kaiserh

    Joined:
    May 4, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    thank a lot, I spent a lot of time on it,worked for my C drive,1 shot.
    thanks again

    kaiserh, May 4, 2007
  11. jaze

    q46ward

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Bout Time

    Thanks Knoj!! I had this problem for months and couldn't solve it by my means. Your fix worked immediately saving me a few more seconds upon startup for an old and slow laptop.

    You deserve a raise!

    q46ward, Jul 1, 2007
  12. jaze

    Androcles

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2007
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    Thanx a bundle for this tip. I was having a hell of a time stopping chkdsk on startup and was about to ditch the hard drive when I found this solution....pure genius. It works brill. Thanxs, thanxs

    Androcles, Oct 19, 2007
  13. jaze

    lucca

    Joined:
    Oct 22, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    many thanks

    I installed a new 3rd hard drive on a Win XP machine , and configured the mft and paging file with diskeeper 9. A Chkdsk seemed to be required. After that, every time i booted the machine , it persisted doing a chkdsk on e,g,h an i partitions (a total of 750 gb !). One can imagine what that did to my cardiovascular system.
    I found this thread , took me all of 5 minutes :problem solved.
    My blood pressure is back to normal.
    Thanks.

    lucca, Oct 23, 2007
  14. jaze

    kyodylee

    Joined:
    Nov 17, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Wow. Awesome. Chkdsk problem of several months duration fixed in less than a minute. Many many thanks for this fix. Worked like a charm.

    kyodylee, Nov 17, 2007
  15. jaze

    Shoddan

    Joined:
    Feb 2, 2008
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Constanta, Romania
    One more thank you to this list, awesome help !
    I've identified the faulty driver that was doing that to my drive, the MB's SATA drivers. Seems to work slower but safer with the generic IDE drivers.
    Thanks again !

    Shoddan, Feb 2, 2008
  16. jaze

    calocaloo

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2008
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    chkdsk every boot!

    Hi to all!
    In my PC, the last time there is a chkdsk every single boot (3 steps):
    When I run AusLogics Disk Defrag on disk C:, at the end appears an
    alert:

    "Diskdefrag.exe - Corrupt file
    The file or directory c:/Windows/System32/hal.dll is corrupt and unreadable.
    Please run the Chkdsk utility."

    I run it, but this no solve the problem!

    I try this way:

    C:fsutil dirty query c:
    Volume - c: is dirty

    C:>chkdsk c: /f/x
    Cannot lock current drive.
    Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another
    process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be
    checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)

    I choose "Y" and ends.
    But, later, when the PC boot, chkdsk runs (3 steps) but nothing happens.
    The problem persist.
    Any idea?
    Thanks a lot,
    calocaloo

    Last edited: Feb 8, 2008
    calocaloo, Feb 8, 2008
  17. jaze

    Shoddan

    Joined:
    Feb 2, 2008
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Constanta, Romania
    You can't do the above actions from inside XP because this is your active system partition.
    Try something like this :

    1. Insert and boot from your Windows XP CD.
    2. At the first R=Repair option, press the R key.
    3. Press the number that corresponds to the correct location for the installation of Windows you want to repair.Typically this will be #1.
    4. Type "chkdsk /f" to run once again the chkdsk(you may want to skip this if you trust your drive to be fully functional).
    5. Type "bootcfg /list" to show the current entries in the BOOT.INI file. Type "bootcfg /rebuild" to repair it.
    6. Take out the CD ROM and type "exit".

    Shoddan, Feb 8, 2008
  18. jaze

    calocaloo

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2008
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hal.dll Missing or Corrupt

    Hi Shoddan & Knoj,

    After Windows XP insertion and boot my machine,
    instead the "Windows XP Professional Setup" screen, appears the following text
    in screen:

    A PROBLEM HAS BEEN DETECTED AND WINDOWS HAD BEEN SHUT DOWN TO PREVENT DAMAGE TO TOUR COMPUTER.
    IF THIS IS THE FIRST TIME YOU'VE SEEN THIS STOP ERROR SCREEN, RESTART YOUR COMPUTER. IF THIS SCREEN APPEARS
    AGAIN, FOLLOW THIS STEPS:
    CHECK TO BE SURE YOU HAVE ADECUATE DISK SPACE. IF THE DRIVER IS IDENTIFIED IN THE STOP MESSAGE, DISABLE
    THE DRIVER OR CHECK WITH THE MANUFACTURER FO DRIVES UPDATES. TRY CHECKING VIDEO ADAPTERS.
    CHECK WITH YOUR HARDWARE VENDOR FOR ANY BIOS UPDATES. DISABLE BIOS MEMORY OPTIONS SUCH AS CACHING OR
    SHADOWING. IF YOU NEED TO USE SAFE MODE TO REMOVE OR DISABLE COMPONENTS, RESTART YOUR COMPUTER, PRESS
    F8 TO SELECT ADVANCED STARTUP OPTIONS, AND THEN SELECT SAFE MODE.
    TECHNICAL INFORMATION:
    ***STOP: OxOOOOOO7E (OxCOOOOOO5, OxF748EOBF, OxF78DA208, OxF78D9FO8)
    ***pci.sys Address F748E0bf base at F7487000, DateStamp 3b7d855c

    Of course I have a lot of space in my disk.
    What can I do?
    A lot of thanks
    calocaloo

    calocaloo, Feb 11, 2008
  19. jaze

    ee42

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    fsutil worked great, also fixed my flash drive

    The solution in this thread re/ fixing the dirty disk with fsutil was very helpful to me!
    My problem was similar but just enough different to not be documented anywhere on the internet (that I could find).

    I have a 2GB Sandisk U3 Flash Drive / memory stick. For the last 6 weeks, windows would not let me eject it (eject utilities would unmount the drive but not stop it, and then freeze every time I tried), and if I just got fed up and pulled it out, the drive would not remount again until I reboot my computer. Curiously, it worked on every computer but my desktop (For those in the know: Is "dirty" something written on the drive itself, or held by the OS as information somewhere in its internal workings?).

    Today I finally checked its dirty status after having used this solution on my D-drive - coupling the two events that windows wanted to chkdsk my d-drive ever since it stopped working with the flash drive. Anyway, I ran fsutil/chkdsk on the flash drive, and now it works like it was intended.

    Just posting this in the thought that someone out there might have a similar problem with their flash drive one day. Thanks again, this solution was very helpful.

    ee42, Feb 19, 2008
  20. jaze

    APK

    Joined:
    May 15, 2008
    Messages:
    83
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    A discrete point in the space-time continuum
    http://forums.techguy.org/all-other-software/662669-need-help-disk-drive-not.html

    &/or

    http://www.hftonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18615

    List a "work-around" for this, in regards to a SPECIFIC error apparently caused by the "INDEXING SERVICE" (see services.msc for that), & it has worked a couple times for myself @ work on the job, as well as a couple times on forums, where the symptoms manifested themselves the same (indexing problem).

    STEPS:

    Go to the disk in question in Windows using explorer.exe (or, My Computer), & right-click on it to summon its popup menu, & use the PROPERTIES menu there.

    Once in it, uncheck the "Allow Indexing Service to Index this disk for fast file searching", first.

    (& while you're @ it, do it for your other disks too, & disable the INDEXING service in services.msc as well. Might as well @ this point, right? I personally don't find this service useful enough to keep it constantly running either, but that's personal opinion!).

    ANYHOW, ONCE INDEXING SERVICE IS OFF WHOLESALE via SERVICES.MSC, or JUST FOR THE DISK IN QUESTION?

    Boot your system to RECOVERY CONSOLE from your OS install disk, & issue the commandline of:

    chkdsk /p /r

    Actual details are here (my commandline's a "BIT of overkill", but forces every switch needed, regardless of one overriding the other):

    -----

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058

    CHKDSK

    chkdsk drive /p /r
    The chkdsk command checks the specified drive and repairs or recovers the drive if the drive requires it.The command also marks any bad sectors and it recovers readable information.

    You can use the following options:
    /p : Does an exhaustive check of the drive and corrects any errors.
    /r : Locates bad sectors and recovers readable information.

    Note If you specify the /r option, the /p option is implied. When you specify the chkdsk command without arguments, the command checks the current drive with no options in effect.

    When you run the chkdsk command, you are required to use the Autochk.exe file. CHKDSK automatically locates this file in the startup folder. If the Command Console was preinstalled, the startup folder is typically the Cmdcons folder. If CHKDSK cannot find Autochk.exe in the startup folder, CHKDSK tries to locate the Windows CD-ROM installation media. If it cannot find the installation media, CHKDSK prompts you for the location of the Autochk.exe file.

    -----

    & let it correct the problems on the disk that is troubled.

    The pertinent excerpt is "straight from the horses' mouth" (MS), & for the Recovery Console/RC chkdsk for your hassle is above, & what I used, exactly, & it worked for a very similar hassle.

    The RC version of chkdsk It is more effective than the chkdsk (commandline OR graphical front to it in the disk tools you have access to via the rightclick menu you had used above to remove indexing) that running under "normal Windows" uses!

    Also, since Windows is NOT operating really (RC is NOT the same as DOS or Windows really), files that might be locked against access typically are no longer locked in RC, vs. normal Windows operation (even SafeMode(s)).

    It may help you here. As again, it did for me, in a VERY similar "pinch"...

    APK

    APK, Aug 3, 2008