Checking Duplex mode?

C

Conan Kelly

Hello all,

Is there any way to check my NIC's duplex mode (Full-Duplex or Half-Duplex) from Windows.

If not, what other ways can I determine which one it is using?

C

Chuck

Hello all,

Is there any way to check my NIC's duplex mode (Full-Duplex or Half-Duplex) from Windows.

If not, what other ways can I determine which one it is using?

Under Local Area Connection - Properties, Configure - Advanced tab, you may have
an entry "Media Type" which should tell you how the computer has it setup. What
is at the other end of the Ethernet cable? If a router or switch, you should
have an indicator light for the connection, that may give you a clue.

C

Conan Kelly

Chuck,

Thanks for your feed back.

I don't have an "Advanced" tab under my NIC's Configuration properties. We are in a Domain environment, so I may not have
permissions/privileges. All of the network connections are attached to a switch (HP Procurve Switch 2626 (J4900B)). As far as I
can tell, the lights on the switch just show a live connection and not necessarily the speed or duplex mode.

I'm asking because I have 2 computers here at my workstation. One has a straight shot to the main switch. The other goes through a
little LinkSys 5(4) port workgroup switch that it shares with the office scanner. On the workgroup switch, it shows full-duplex
between itself --> the scanner and itself --> 2nd computer, but it does not show Full between itself and the main switch. So I
wanted to check my main computer (straight shot to main switch) to see if it is running in full-duplex or half-duplex. I'm
wondering if our main switch is programmed to run in half-duplex only. I won't really be able to tell unless I can see what duplex
mode the individual machines are operating in when they have a straight shot to the main switch.

Thanks again for all of your help,

Conan

C

Chuck

Chuck,

Thanks for your feed back.

I don't have an "Advanced" tab under my NIC's Configuration properties. We are in a Domain environment, so I may not have
permissions/privileges. All of the network connections are attached to a switch (HP Procurve Switch 2626 (J4900B)). As far as I
can tell, the lights on the switch just show a live connection and not necessarily the speed or duplex mode.

I'm asking because I have 2 computers here at my workstation. One has a straight shot to the main switch. The other goes through a
little LinkSys 5(4) port workgroup switch that it shares with the office scanner. On the workgroup switch, it shows full-duplex
between itself --> the scanner and itself --> 2nd computer, but it does not show Full between itself and the main switch. So I
wanted to check my main computer (straight shot to main switch) to see if it is running in full-duplex or half-duplex. I'm
wondering if our main switch is programmed to run in half-duplex only. I won't really be able to tell unless I can see what duplex
mode the individual machines are operating in when they have a straight shot to the main switch.

Thanks again for all of your help,

Conan

Conan,

If you're in a domain, you very probably don't have any ability to do that.

The domain admins probably have somebody whose job is to setup all of the
computer connections. It may be a bad port on the main switch. This would be a
job for the domain admins then.

Ask a Question