Charts Constantly Recalculating

Discussion in 'Microsoft Excel Discussion' started by stef, Apr 18, 2011.

  1. stef

    stef Guest

    Excel 2002 SP3
    Win XP SP2

    Hi,

    I am charting data series going back in time for many years so many data
    points.

    I have located charts each in their own sheet--but what I see is that
    each chart (I have several time series and several charts) seems to
    constantly recalculate which makes the spreasheet really sluggish.....

    I had lots of vlookup before which I copy/pasted as values thinking it
    would help, but it only does marginally--the real problem seems to stem
    from the constant recalculation of the charts.

    Any way to fix this, different types of settings, etc.?

    Thanks.

    stef, Apr 18, 2011

  2. stef

    Victor Delta Guest

    "stef" <> wrote in message
    > Excel 2002 SP3
    > Win XP SP2
    >
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am charting data series going back in time for many years so many data
    > points.
    >
    > I have located charts each in their own sheet--but what I see is that
    > each chart (I have several time series and several charts) seems to
    > constantly recalculate which makes the spreasheet really sluggish.....
    >
    > I had lots of vlookup before which I copy/pasted as values thinking it
    > would help, but it only does marginally--the real problem seems to stem
    > from the constant recalculation of the charts.
    >
    > Any way to fix this, different types of settings, etc.?
    >
    > Thanks.

    What makes you think the charts are constantly recalculating and what is the
    file size?

    Victor Delta, Apr 18, 2011

  3. stef

    stef Guest

    On Mon, 18 Apr 2011 23:50:23 +0100, Victor Delta wrote:

    > What makes you think the charts are constantly recalculating and what is
    > the file size?

    The file size is a problem as I noticed it is 14MB (!). I cannot
    understand why so large. I do have lots of data points but still.

    What makes me feel the charts are constantly recalculating is:
    - sluggishness; cannot use mouse/keyboards "freeze" during recalculations
    - message in Excel status bar saying: calculating cells X% (that number
    converges to 100% and restarts immediately at lower number, reconverges
    slowly to 100%, restarts, etc.)
    - the lines on the charts seem to be constantly refreshing and re-painting

    stef, Apr 19, 2011
  4. stef

    Victor Delta Guest

    "stef" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 18 Apr 2011 23:50:23 +0100, Victor Delta wrote:
    >
    >> What makes you think the charts are constantly recalculating and what is
    >> the file size?

    > The file size is a problem as I noticed it is 14MB (!). I cannot
    > understand why so large. I do have lots of data points but still.
    >
    > What makes me feel the charts are constantly recalculating is:
    > - sluggishness; cannot use mouse/keyboards "freeze" during recalculations
    > - message in Excel status bar saying: calculating cells X% (that number
    > converges to 100% and restarts immediately at lower number, reconverges
    > slowly to 100%, restarts, etc.)
    > - the lines on the charts seem to be constantly refreshing and re-painting

    That's a large file and I suspect it could be the cause of the slow running,
    sluggishness etc.

    There could be a number of reasons for the large file. This page has a
    number of good suggestions for reducing the file size
    http://www.ozgrid.com/Excel/ExcelProblems.htm

    Victor Delta, Apr 19, 2011
  5. stef

    stef Guest

    On Tue, 19 Apr 2011 23:43:16 +0100, Victor Delta wrote:

    > That's a large file and I suspect it could be the cause of the slow
    > running, sluggishness etc.
    >
    > There could be a number of reasons for the large file. This page has a
    > number of good suggestions for reducing the file size
    > http://www.ozgrid.com/Excel/ExcelProblems.htm

    Yes, I've never had such large files, something is amiss.
    I will check the link you posted and revert here. Tx.

    stef, Apr 21, 2011
  6. stef

    stef Guest

    On Tue, 19 Apr 2011 23:43:16 +0100, Victor Delta wrote:

    > That's a large file and I suspect it could be the cause of the slow
    > running, sluggishness etc.
    >
    > There could be a number of reasons for the large file. This page has a
    > number of good suggestions for reducing the file size
    > http://www.ozgrid.com/Excel/ExcelProblems.htm

    No help with that link.

    I suspect the file must have gotten corrupted; it shouldn't be this
    large.....

    stef, Apr 21, 2011
  7. stef

    Victor Delta Guest

    "stef" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 19 Apr 2011 23:43:16 +0100, Victor Delta wrote:
    >
    >> That's a large file and I suspect it could be the cause of the slow
    >> running, sluggishness etc.
    >>
    >> There could be a number of reasons for the large file. This page has a
    >> number of good suggestions for reducing the file size
    >> http://www.ozgrid.com/Excel/ExcelProblems.htm

    > No help with that link.
    >
    > I suspect the file must have gotten corrupted; it shouldn't be this
    > large.....

    I assume it doesn't contain any pictures...?

    If not, you could try copying each worksheet to a new workbook and see how
    that goes.

    Victor Delta, Apr 22, 2011
  8. stef

    stef Guest

    On Fri, 22 Apr 2011 23:21:21 +0100, Victor Delta wrote:

    > I assume it doesn't contain any pictures...?
    >
    > If not, you could try copying each worksheet to a new workbook and see
    > how that goes.

    I have done that but the new workbook is 12MB's anyway so really dt nkow.
    Perhaps some corruption there.

    I may have to rebuild form scratch perhaps.

    Only "pictures" are the excel charts.

    stef, Apr 28, 2011
  9. In article <ipbl87$8s3$>, stef <> wrote:
    >On Fri, 22 Apr 2011 23:21:21 +0100, Victor Delta wrote:
    >

    >> I assume it doesn't contain any pictures...?
    >>
    >> If not, you could try copying each worksheet to a new workbook and see
    >> how that goes.

    >I have done that but the new workbook is 12MB's anyway so really dt nkow.
    >Perhaps some corruption there.
    >
    >I may have to rebuild form scratch perhaps.
    >
    >Only "pictures" are the excel charts.

    In at least some versions of XL, a number of charts (more than about 12 in
    some cases ?) will slow the spreadsheet to an effective stop. Try removing
    some of them (particularly any with lots of points ?), and see if that
    speeds things up ?

    Best of luck. :)

    Bruce Sinclair, May 2, 2011
  10. stef

    stef Guest

    On Mon, 02 May 2011 04:13:01 +0000, Bruce Sinclair wrote:

    > In at least some versions of XL, a number of charts (more than about 12
    > in some cases ?) will slow the spreadsheet to an effective stop. Try
    > removing some of them (particularly any with lots of points ?), and see
    > if that speeds things up ?

    I can try that as well, but I think the file must have gotten corrupt....

    stef, May 4, 2011
  11. In article <ipr09l$k13$>, stef <> wrote:
    >On Mon, 02 May 2011 04:13:01 +0000, Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    >
    >> In at least some versions of XL, a number of charts (more than about 12
    >> in some cases ?) will slow the spreadsheet to an effective stop. Try
    >> removing some of them (particularly any with lots of points ?), and see
    >> if that speeds things up ?

    >I can try that as well, but I think the file must have gotten corrupt....

    Try repairing it then. Worst case, it's still broken. :)

    Good luck.

    Bruce Sinclair, May 5, 2011