    until I switch the PC's off. Then the XP resets itself to MSHOME.

    How can I make the XP machine default to WORKGROUP?

    Thank you

    CD, Oct 29, 2009

  2. CD

    smlunatick Guest

    On Oct 29, 4:08 pm, CD <> wrote:
    > I have an XP PC which I wantt to network with a Vista PC.
    >
    > I have follwed the XP Network Set Up wizard and change the workgroup name
    > from MSHOME to WORKGROUP.  The Vista machine sees the XP machine, all is well
    > until I switch the PC's off.  Then the XP resets itself to MSHOME.
    >
    > How can I make the XP machine default to WORKGROUP?
    >
    > Thank you

    Right click on My Computer icon

    Select Properties

    Select Computer Name "tab"

    Look for: To rename this computer or join a domain, Click Change

    Click on Change "button"

    In the "Workgroup" box, change the workgroup name.

    smlunatick, Oct 29, 2009

  3. CD

    CD Guest

    Dear smlunatic,

    No luck. I right clicked on My Computer and selected Properties. On the
    Computer name tab the Computer Description is "Client". The full computer
    name is "client.WORKGROUP" and the Workgroup name is "WORKGROUP".

    On Computer name changes the computer name is "client" and Workgroup name is
    "WORKGROUP" Going to More.. the Primary DNS suffix is "WORKGROUP" and
    NetBIOS computer name is "Client".

    I have searched evrywhere but cannot find MSHOME; if I could I would try to
    change it.

    Where does MSHOME come from?

    Thanks for your help.

    CD

    CD, Oct 29, 2009
  4. CD

    smlunatick Guest

    On Oct 29, 7:11 pm, CD <> wrote:
    > Dear smlunatic,
    >
    > No luck.  I right clicked on My Computer and selected Properties.  Onthe
    > Computer name tab the Computer Description is "Client".  The full computer
    > name is "client.WORKGROUP" and the Workgroup name is "WORKGROUP".
    >
    > On Computer name changes the computer name is "client" and Workgroup nameis
    > "WORKGROUP"  Going to More..  the Primary DNS suffix is "WORKGROUP" and
    > NetBIOS computer name is "Client".
    >
    > I have searched evrywhere but cannot find MSHOME; if I could I would try to
    > change it.
    >
    > Where does MSHOME come from?
    >
    > Thanks for your help.
    >
    > CD
    >
    > "smlunatick" wrote:
    > > On Oct 29, 4:08 pm, CD <> wrote:
    > > > I have an XP PC which I wantt to network with a Vista PC.

    > > > I have follwed the XP Network Set Up wizard and change the workgroup name
    > > > from MSHOME to WORKGROUP.  The Vista machine sees the XP machine, all is well
    > > > until I switch the PC's off.  Then the XP resets itself to MSHOME.

    > > > How can I make the XP machine default to WORKGROUP?

    > > > Thank you

    > > Right click on My Computer icon

    > > Select Properties

    > > Select Computer Name "tab"

    > > Look for:  To rename this computer or join a domain, Click Change

    > > Click on Change "button"

    > > In the "Workgroup" box, change the workgroup name.
    > > .
    > > Dear

    MSHOME workgroup appears to be hard coded within the Network wizard
    set up.

    Have you consider trying changing the Vista Workgroup???

    smlunatick, Oct 29, 2009
  5. CD

    Bernd Guest

    > MSHOME workgroup appears to be hard coded within the Network wizard
    > set up.

    NO, Sir !

    I (and others) had no problem with Network Setup Wizard setting another
    workgroup name.

    Could the "reset" be the result of so called "security" software ?

    Bernd

    Bernd, Oct 29, 2009
  6. CD

    CD Guest

    I don't think so. I am running AVG Free and tried to turn that off, went
    through the Network Set Up wizard with no improvement The workgroup went
    back to MSHOME.

    Thanks for the suggestion.

    CD

    CD, Oct 30, 2009
  7. I don't know but as a rule computer names should not contain more than
    15 characters and the use of periods (.) is discouraged. You should
    start by giving more appropriate names to the computers and then reboot
    the machines and then try again to rename the workgroup, all of this can
    be done in the System Properties Computer Name tab.

    John

    John John - MVP, Oct 30, 2009