    other DC's in different time zones?

    thanks!

    Jake

    Jake20, Jan 12, 2007

  2. No.

    Computers maintain the time in UTC internally. TZ and DST changes do not
    have impact on the internal workings; it is simply for displaying the
    internal time in a format that a human can comfortably deal with. Now if
    you have crappy apps that do everything in localtime, those might have
    an issue.

    Author of O'Reilly Active Directory Third Edition
    www.joeware.net

    ---O'Reilly Active Directory Third Edition now available---

    http://www.joeware.net/win/ad3e.htm

    Joe Richards [MVP], Jan 13, 2007

  3. Jake20

    Herb Martin Guest

    "Joe Richards [MVP]" <> wrote in message
    > No.
    >
    > Computers maintain the time in UTC internally. TZ and DST changes do not
    > have impact on the internal workings; it is simply for displaying the
    > internal time in a format that a human can comfortably deal with. Now if
    > you have crappy apps that do everything in localtime, those might have an
    > issue.

    Everything Joe said with one caveat:

    As long as you are changing the time zone because of the time zone,
    and not because they are set to the wrong time zone and showing what
    appears to be the correct time (and thus is WRONG.)

    In that case, you would probably also change the time and now we
    have to figure out did time just change by HOURS.

    Time must be set to agree with the time zone that is also set or the
    time will be incorrect (in GMT.)

    I regularly take Domain Controllers to class in other cities, change
    the time zone, bring them back, and again change the time zone
    with no ill effects.

    --
    Herb Martin, MCSE, MVP
    http://www.LearnQuick.Com

    Herb Martin, Jan 13, 2007
  4. Jake20

    Erik Cheizoo Guest

    One of the crappy applications using local time is Outlook.
    Well, in fact, Outlook is doing the right way. If you change time zone,
    Outlook appointments will shift in time.

    --
    Kind regards,

    Erik Cheizoo
    eXcellence & Difference - we keep your business running
    Always test in a non-production environment before implementing
    Guidelines for posting: http://support.microsoft.com/?id=555375

    Erik Cheizoo, Jan 15, 2007
  5. Jake20

    Jake20 Guest

    I am going from Eastern time zone to Central Time Zone , so the time
    will be going back an Hour.
    So, the actualy time will change by 1 hour.
    Is there anything that needs to be done after that?
    thanks!

    Jake20, Jan 15, 2007
  6. Again the UTC time will not change. Only the local displayed time.

    The computer does its thinking in UTC, regardless of the TZ and DST
    changes you make, it doesn't change internally.

    UTC and TZ simply manipulate the info displayed to you the user. The
    only time that can come into play with the internal time is when you set
    the time. If you have a computer set with one TZ value and you think it
    has another and set the clock, the internal UTC time will then be wrong
    regardless of what the clock says. So the main thing to keep in mind is
    don't dork with the actual time of the machine, simply change TZ/DST
    settings as needed.

    Joe Richards [MVP], Jan 15, 2007
  7. Jake20

    Herb Martin Guest

    "Jake20" <> wrote in message
    >I am going from Eastern time zone to Central Time Zone , so the time
    > will be going back an Hour.
    > So, the actualy time will change by 1 hour.
    > Is there anything that needs to be done after that?
    > thanks!

    The "actual" (or GMT or UNIVERSAL) time should never change
    more than a few seconds (from now on.)

    If the time was improperly set to allow for a mistake in setting the
    time zone then you will either find that this machine may be
    going to change the time on ALL machines in the domain/forest
    (if it is the time master) so any others with the wrong time zone
    will likely make this apparent.

    IF multiple DCs are at the wrong time (for this or other reasons)
    then they will refuse to AUTHENTICATE (Kerberos is time
    sensitive) and therefore fail replication. Clients with times that are
    off will also be unable to authenticate and thus fail on resource
    access, etc.

    Set all the time zones correctly THEN set any machine with the
    wrong time to the correct time visually AND considering the
    time zone that is appropriate -- be careful when setting time
    across a Terminal Server/Remote Desktop connection, time zone is
    typically "remoted" (at least on the newer machines) but be
    careful.

    --
    Herb Martin, MCSE, MVP
    http://www.LearnQuick.Com