    monitor. This is not for printing, but for flipping the
    normal view so it can give a whole legal page view on the
    monitor. Need a short cut for XP thanks stomison

    stomison, Sep 16, 2003

  2. stomison

    SunSpot Guest

    You have to have a monitor that supports rotating,
    and the monitors that do support rotating usually come with their
    own software to allow the screen to rotate with the monitor.
    You can try http://ie2.portrait.com/ . for the software if you already have
    the monitor.

    SunSpot, Sep 16, 2003

  3. Some drivers support this as well. I know that my NVidia drivers allow me to
    rotate the screen, even though my monitor is of the run-of-the-mill variety.

    --
    Chris Jackson
    Software Engineer

    Chris Jackson, Sep 16, 2003
  4. "SunSpot" <> wrote in message
    > You have to have a monitor that supports rotating,

    ? I thought this was strictly a driver thing. For one, I have some
    monitors that are so old they were definitely *not* designed to support
    rotating, yet through the functions exposed by the driver it works just
    fine.

    Software-wise, why should a monitor need to be designed for it?

    Homer J. Simpson, Sep 16, 2003
  5. stomison

    SunSpot Guest

    The monitors I have seen were not designed to accommodate software, the
    software was written to accommodate the monitors. When you rotated the
    monitor, the view on the screen automatically rotates with it, If the
    monitor does not have the sensors/switches built in, there is no way for a
    driver to tell which way it is pointing.

    I have not seen any drivers that support rotating a standard monitor , but I
    will take your word for it.
    But like I said, if you do just use a driver solution, you have to change
    the orientation of the screen manually. The rotating monitors work with
    their software to change the screen as you move the monitor itself, no
    software settings need to be made.

    As for the OP, it looks like he is going to have to either get a new monitor
    or a new video card.
    Maybe Chris can let us know which card he is using, might be worth looking
    into.

    SunSpot, Sep 17, 2003
  6. "SunSpot" <> wrote in message
    > The monitors I have seen were not designed to accommodate software, the
    > software was written to accommodate the monitors. When you rotated the
    > monitor, the view on the screen automatically rotates with it, If the
    > monitor does not have the sensors/switches built in, there is no way for a
    > driver to tell which way it is pointing.

    Ah, I see what you're saying. But no, what I use is strictly implemented in
    drivers (I have a GF4 Ti4400), so the monitor absolutely and positively does
    not matter; it's like using the rotate function in a paint program and
    applying that to the normal output before it's rendered...the hardware, nor
    any other software, does not care. Of course the driver itself knows
    nothing about the actual, physical orientation of the monitor...

    > I have not seen any drivers that support rotating a standard monitor , but

    > will take your word for it.
    > But like I said, if you do just use a driver solution, you have to change
    > the orientation of the screen manually. The rotating monitors work with
    > their software to change the screen as you move the monitor itself, no
    > software settings need to be made.

    Sounds gimmicky. How often does one change the orientation anyway? The
    Nvidia drivers rotate the output on my old el-cheapo 19" CRT as well as it
    does my 18" and 15" LCDs, none of which were designed for running on their
    sides.

    Homer J. Simpson, Sep 17, 2003
  7. stomison

    SunSpot Guest

    > "SunSpot" <> wrote in message
    > > The monitors I have seen were not designed to accommodate software, the
    > > software was written to accommodate the monitors. When you rotated the
    > > monitor, the view on the screen automatically rotates with it, If the
    > > monitor does not have the sensors/switches built in, there is no way for

    > > driver to tell which way it is pointing.

    > Ah, I see what you're saying. But no, what I use is strictly implemented

    in
    > drivers (I have a GF4 Ti4400), so the monitor absolutely and positively

    does
    > not matter; it's like using the rotate function in a paint program and
    > applying that to the normal output before it's rendered...the hardware,

    nor
    > any other software, does not care. Of course the driver itself knows
    > nothing about the actual, physical orientation of the monitor...

    Cool!.
    That could be useful with an LCD monitor, especially if it was mounted to a
    swivel wall mount.
    (DAMN, more money to spend!) ;-)

    > > I have not seen any drivers that support rotating a standard monitor ,

    but
    > > will take your word for it.
    > > But like I said, if you do just use a driver solution, you have to

    change
    > > the orientation of the screen manually. The rotating monitors work with
    > > their software to change the screen as you move the monitor itself, no
    > > software settings need to be made.

    > Sounds gimmicky. How often does one change the orientation anyway? The
    > Nvidia drivers rotate the output on my old el-cheapo 19" CRT as well as it
    > does my 18" and 15" LCDs, none of which were designed for running on their
    > sides.

    Actually my bud who has a swival monitor uses it all the time.
    He uses landscape for playing most games, then switches to portrait
    for browsing the web or working on word docs.
    Now if some one would only make it easy to rotate a 42" Plasma!

    SunSpot, Sep 17, 2003