    what about changing the DEFAULT ICON for a file type for any given program?
    Any way to do this in XP?

    Oreally

    OREALLY, Sep 13, 2009

  2. OREALLY

    Rich Barry Guest

    See if this helps any.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310192

    Rich Barry, Sep 13, 2009

  3. OREALLY

    OREALLY Guest

    Thanks.....but I'm referring to default file icons....so as to prevent
    programs from changing your favorite icons assigned to these files when you
    change file associations.

    OREALLY, Sep 14, 2009
  4. OREALLY

    ju.c Guest

    To change an app's icon you'll have to replace the icon
    inside of the EXE or DLL file using one of these freeware
    tools:

    Resource Hacker
    http://www.angusj.com/resourcehacker/

    XN Resource Editor
    http://www.wilsonc.demon.co.uk/d10resourceeditor.htm

    Always make backups as it doesn't always work. Try
    Resource Hacker first. If it fails, try XN Resource Editor.

    ju.c

    ju.c, Sep 14, 2009
  5. OREALLY

    OREALLY Guest

    Thanks.....Unfortuntely the help menus in both these programs are
    empty....as is the icon folder in WMP. Would you know where I can find the
    icons for WMP?

    Oreally

    OREALLY, Sep 14, 2009
  6. OREALLY

    ju.c Guest

    WMP icons are contained in this file:

    C:\Windows\System32\wmploc.dll

    ju.c

    ju.c, Sep 16, 2009
  7. OREALLY

    Tim Meddick Guest

    Oreally,
    you cannot "hack" or otherwise modify the file wmploc.dll without
    disabling Windows File Protection (WFP), which will jump in and replace your edited
    file with a backup copy as soon as it has been "saved"

    So, thereby undoing any changes you may have made to this file.

    I do not recommend that you disable WFP.

    If you have a number of file types that you have a custom icon for then you could
    make a number of reg-files for use if a program goes and changes them.

    You just double click on these reg-files to change them back again to the way you had
    it before.

    What you have to do for each reg file, is open [regedit.exe] and locate the first key
    that corresponds to the file extension that you want to save the default icon setting
    for - i.e. [.mp3]

    Under this key (e.g. .mp3) there is a "default value" (e.g. mp3file )

    So look up the second key (mp3file) and you will find another key under this one
    called [DefaultIcon]

    This is the key you right-click on and choose "Export" to save it's contents to a
    reg-file.

    Name the saved reg-file "MP3Icon" or something similar, to remind you what icon it
    will restore for you.

    Now if the icons for MP3 files are changed by some other program - all you have to do
    is double-click on this reg-file to restore the icon you preferred...

    ==

    Cheers, Tim Meddick, Peckham, London. :)

    Tim Meddick, Sep 23, 2009