Changing Report Printer - Access 2007

Discussion in 'Microsoft Access Reports' started by Michael J. Strickland, Nov 8, 2007.

  1. Anyone know how to change the printer associated with a report in Access
    2007?

    Everytime I change the printer for a report, it reverts back to the Windows
    default printer.

    I know I can set the desired printer as the Windows default but I have
    hundreds of reports designed to use various different printers and doing
    this for each one is impossible.

    This behavior is new with Access 2007. Prior to this (Access 97, 2002, 2003
    ....) you could set different printers for different reports.

    Acess 2007 appears to provides this capability (in page setup) but it just
    doesn't take when you set it.

    Michael J. Strickland
    Quality Services
    703-560-7380

    Michael J. Strickland, Nov 8, 2007

  2. Michael J. Strickland

    Allen Browne Guest

    Yes, Michael, this is a bug in Access 2007.
    It does not retain the printer you specify for the report.
    Hopefully MS will fix this when they release SP1 for Office 2007.

    In the mean time, you can work around the problem by setting the Printer
    object before you open the report. There's a utility that does that (and
    remembers which printer to use for each report) here:
    Printer Selection Utility - Users assign printers to reports
    at:
    http://allenbrowne.com/AppPrintMgt.html
    The utility was designed to solve a different problem, but it does serve as
    a workaround in 2007.

    More info about adapting to the new version, including bugs you may need to
    be awarey of:
    http://allenbrowne.com/Access2007.html

    Allen Browne, Nov 9, 2007

  3. Thanks Allen.

    I just found a work-around that requires no code however on

    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/access/HA101216031033.aspx#4

    at the bottom of the page under:
    "Start the Page Setup dialog box from the Print Preview tab"

    Apparently, the printer setting is changeable from the
    "Print Preview" menu (Rt Click the report, Select "Print Preview").

    From here the "Page Setup" button works correctly.

    There is still the problem of assigning a printer to the report
    object in VBA code (it is now a read only property), however at least
    I dont have to keep changing my Windows default printer now.

    Michael J. Strickland
    Quality Services
    703-560-7380

    Michael J. Strickland, Nov 9, 2007
  4. Michael J. Strickland

    Allen Browne Guest

    Yes: you can change printers at print time via Print Preview, if that's
    adequate.

    (Of course, that's not the same as setting up the report to always go to
    that printer.)

    Allen Browne, Nov 10, 2007