Changin my PC case - any tips?

abz

Reaction score
Hi,

I bought a new case for my PC (nothing flash, just black with 2 front fans +LED's) and I have never transfered pc-guts into a new case before!

I have relatively decent knowledge of Pc hardware, and Im good with tools generally, so Im hoping I will jsut be able to work it out as I go along.

Seeing as Im a novice, does anyone have any tips or advice, as to what i definately should/shouldnt do?

I have been told to install the parts in this order:
PSU
Dvd+HD
MB
GPU
RAM
Wires

wish me luck!

thanks, abi

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Doesn't really matter what order you assemble parts in but it's probably wise to start with PSU and then mount the CPU/CPU Cooler/memory onto the motherboard before fitting that.

Make sure the jumpers/connections are correct on any optical drives and possibly hard drives.

Use the motherboard manual to identify the pins where the case switches and ports connect to.

Earth yourself against a good ground, such as a radiator pipe, before commencing.

Don't forget to connect the motherboard 12V supply and video card PSU connector where relevant.

Can't think of anything else off the top of me nut, except to say good luck :)

abz

Reaction score
hehe, thanks :) I just have to touch the radiator pipe every now and then right?

I think I will take photos of it first, so I can refer to them and put everythig where it started!

abi

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Yeah, just touch something like a radiator, and u should be good.

Make sure you screw in the brass pins in the case where the motherboard sits before you put the motherboard in, else the motherboard will just short! I found out the hard way quite a while back :-/ . They go between your motherboard and case, so your motherboard when screwed down sits with about a 2/3mm gap between it and the case.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Tip 1
Actually, I leave the power cord connected to the mains HOWEVER, I remove the fuse ... makes a great earthing strap, I don't have any radiators. ;)

Tip 2
Use a clean large area to disassemble and cover it with cardboard

Tip 3
There is no need to remove the HSF, CPU or memory from the motherboard ... but check for dust and use a vacuum cleaner gently to remove any dust.

Tip 4
Remove all cables first ... mark them with a felt-tip pen or masking tape if you think you may forget what went where. Next remove the video card, and any other cards, then all the drives, HD CDRom floppy.

Tip 5
There can be up to 7 screws that hold the MB in place ... here is where "we in the trade" love to use a magnetic headed screwdriver .... it is bad practice by any "tech" to suggest you do the same ... but they are a boon to the job. ;)

Tip 6
Make a note of the above as once you remove the MB you'll need to make sure that the New Case uses the same positions for its own standoffs ... do not use the old standoff from the old case, they may be at a different height or even use a different threaded screw.

Tip 7
In the new case first fit the brass standoffs that came with the case ... making sure they are in the right place for the holes in the MB ... do not over tighten, you can strip the threads ... I have a 'special' hexagonal screwdriver that does an excellent job ... use your fingers to start the brass standoff get properly seated, you may need to use a pair of pliers to help finish the job.

Re-assemble in reverse order. :)

Don't forget to replace the fuse ... or you may spend some time trying to figure out why the thing don't work anymore ... oh, and use a 3amp fuse if not already fitted.

user.gif

abz

Reaction score
yay, thanks very much everyone. Loads of useful tips and links. I just need to find the inspiration to go and do it now....if only i wasn't so lazy...

abi

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Another good bit of advice is not to rush, just take your time and make sure you reconnect everything correctly.

By the way it really isn't as hard as you may think. :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
Tip 5
There can be up to 7 screws that hold the MB in place ... here is where "we in the trade" love to use a magnetic headed screwdriver .... it is bad practice by any "tech" to suggest you do the same ... but they are a boon to the job.

Yep :)

V_R said:
By the way it really isn't as hard as you may think.

Yep :)

Ask a Question