    overwriting the startup document. Any suggestions as to why this is
    happening and how to correct. She doesn't want to use a template....just
    wants to open Excel and have it look the way she wants immediately.

    Guest, Jun 27, 2007

  2. If you open a workbook in xl2k and higher, then do file|SaveAs, excel will go to
    the folder that held the original workbook.

    If that user wants to change the layout, then she should be using a template
    file (*.xlt). Then excel will use the default file location as the save
    location.

    Is there a reason she doesn't want to use a template file--that technique is
    pretty normal for most people.

    --

    Dave Peterson

    Dave Peterson, Jun 27, 2007

    She is a very basic user who needs to be able to click the Excel icon on the
    quick launch toolbar or double-click the shortcut icon on the desktop and
    have the application open looking the way she wants it (blue background and
    borders around all cells), enter her data and then click the save button and
    have it go to the default location. It sounds like using your suggestion
    would mean she opens Excel, and then has to open the template. Is this not
    correct? Thanks for your help!

    Guest, Jun 28, 2007
  4. No.

    She could put all her customized choices in a template workbook. Store that
    template workbook in her XLStart folder and call that template book.xlt.

    Whenever she clicks on the new icon on the standard toolbar, that template
    workbook will be used as the basis for the new workbook.

    --

    Dave Peterson

    Dave Peterson, Jun 28, 2007

    Okay, that's where we already are with this. Where we are running into a
    problem is that when she saves the document, it is overwriting the template.
    Now when she opens Excel, it's bringing up the new saved information instead
    of a blank spreadsheet with the blue background and borders.

    Guest, Jun 28, 2007

    Gord Dibben Guest

    In that case, the Template is not a true Template.

    Sounds like she is just using an *.xls workbook as her start point.

    A true template which is an *.XLT file will not be overwritten, it just creates
    a copy as an *.xls workbook.

    You must save as>file type>ms excel template (*.xlt)

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

    Gord Dibben, Jun 28, 2007

    Okay, is there any way to have this template be the startup template so when
    she open Excel it comes up instead of the regular white background, and then
    when she clicks the save button it is automatically saved to the network
    location?

    Guest, Jun 28, 2007
  8. Save it as book.xlt in the xlstart folder.

    You may want to search for other book.xlt files in other xlstart folders. Maybe
    she has multiple versions that's causing the trouble.

    --

    Dave Peterson

    Dave Peterson, Jun 28, 2007

    We've already tried that. Thanks.

    Guest, Jun 28, 2007
  10. Do she show extensions (set in windows explorer tools|folder options)?

    If yes, what's the name of the workbook that is shown in the title bar?

    Does it look like
    book.xlt
    or
    book.xls
    or
    book1
    or
    book1.xlt
    or
    book1.xls

    or what?

    --

    Dave Peterson

    Dave Peterson, Jun 28, 2007

    I set this up for her about a month ago and it worked perfectly until
    yesterday (maybe she did something unknowingly). She isn't in the office for
    me to check today, but this is what she has:

    C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART

    Then these files are there:
    book.xlt
    book1.xlt
    book1.xls