    I'm trying to get the Notepad to save by default in Unicode rather than ANSI. I use a font that has characters that don't work with ANSI, and I've remapped the keyboard to add several more characters that I use often enough, and they don't translate into ANSI either. I can do it manually, but I have to do it every time I save something anew in the Notepad.

    Is there a registry setting I can change to get the Notepad to save to Unicode by default? And what might that be?

    TIA.

    Lee C., Sep 3, 2004

  2. "Lee C." <ChestnutLee[No Spam]@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    news:%...
    I'm trying to get the Notepad to save by default in Unicode rather than
    ANSI. I use a font that has characters that don't work with ANSI, and I've
    remapped the keyboard to add several more characters that I use often
    enough, and they don't translate into ANSI either. I can do it manually,
    but I have to do it every time I save something anew in the Notepad.

    Is there a registry setting I can change to get the Notepad to save to
    Unicode by default? And what might that be?

    You could try Orient which saves as by default in Unicode.
    http://jacob.saportas.free.fr/Download.html

    There is probably a way to change Orient to be the default text editor,
    I've seen it done with other new and improved text editors. Maybe
    something like rename notepad.exe to notepad.bak and then rename
    Orient.exe to notepad.exe and move its files to the C:\Windows folder.

    Orient saves to Unicode by default and Ansi is a choice in the dropdown
    menu.
    The reverse of Notepad. Also I think the author of Orient would likely know
    if the default save as behavior of Notepad can be changed fairly easily and
    how to do it. Orient does a 12/55-56 --> conversion to unicode if it
    matters.

    Regards,
    Stephen

    Stephen Harris, Sep 3, 2004

  3. "Stephen Harris" <> wrote in message

    > "Lee C." <ChestnutLee[No Spam]@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I'm trying to get the Notepad to save by default in Unicode rather than
    > ANSI. I use a font that has characters that don't work with ANSI, and
    > I've remapped the keyboard to add several more characters that I use often
    > enough, and they don't translate into ANSI either. I can do it manually,
    > but I have to do it every time I save something anew in the Notepad.
    >
    > Is there a registry setting I can change to get the Notepad to save to
    > Unicode by default? And what might that be?
    >
    > You could try Orient which saves as by default in Unicode.
    > http://jacob.saportas.free.fr/Download.html
    >
    > There is probably a way to change Orient to be the default text editor,
    > I've seen it done with other new and improved text editors. Maybe
    > something like rename notepad.exe to notepad.bak and then rename
    > Orient.exe to notepad.exe and move its files to the C:\Windows folder.
    >
    > Orient saves to Unicode by default and Ansi is a choice in the dropdown
    > menu.
    > The reverse of Notepad. Also I think the author of Orient would likely
    > know
    > if the default save as behavior of Notepad can be changed fairly easily
    > and
    > how to do it. Orient does a 12/55-56 --> conversion to unicode if it
    > matters.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Stephen

    SH: This is how to change notepad.exe to another default text editor.
    I did something similar and had to reboot to safe mode to write to
    C:\windows\system32\dllcache

    from Google:
    "Well it turns out that I found my own answer... just changing file
    associations
    is not what I had in mind. I need to able to completely replace NOTEPAD.EXE
    with another editor.

    And herein lies the answer:
    http://www.notepad-replacements.com/notepadxp.html
    In this step by step guide, I will show you how to permanently replace
    Notepad
    on Windows XP with the text editor of your choice. I am using EditPad Pro in
    the
    example but the procedure works with any decent Notepad replacement. I am
    showing how to do it with EditPad Pro simply because it is the editor I use
    all
    the time. This web site was created entirely in EditPad Pro, except for the
    graphics.

    You can keep your web browser open while following these instructions. Just
    make
    sure that Notepad is not running.

    I have tried to keep these instructions as simple as possible, so that
    anybody
    can follow them.

    Note that it is important to follow these instructions exactly. If I say
    that
    you need to overwrite Notepad, then you should do so. Otherwise, I cannot
    guarantee that these instructions will have the proper effect.

    Making a backup of Notepad.exe
    If you would ever like to restore plain old Notepad.exe, you will need to
    make a
    backup copy first. Without the backup copy, you will have no easy way of
    restoring the original Notepad.

    To make the backup copy, insert a floppy disk into your computer. The floppy
    disk should have at least 100 KB of free space on it.

    Find Notepad.exe in the C:\WINDOWS folder using Windows Explorer.
    Right-click on
    it, and select copy from the context menu (screen shot).

    Then right-click on the floppy disk drive in Windows Explorer, and select
    Paste
    from the context menu (screen shot). Windows will now place a copy of
    Notepad.exe onto the floppy disk.

    Important: It is important that you copy Notepad, and do not move it. Leave
    the
    original Notepad in place, so we can overwrite it later.

    Part 1: Make a copy of EditPad Pro
    and rename it to Notepad.exe
    Step 1: Find EditPadPro.exe (screen shot)
    By default, it is installed into C:\Program
    Files\JGsoft\EditPadPro\EditPadPro.exe. If the option to hide extensions of
    known file types is activated on your computer (it is by default), then the
    file
    will appear as "EditPadPro" instead of "EditPadPro.exe".

    Step 2: Copy EditPadPro.exe (screen shot)
    Right-click on EditPadPro.exe and pick Copy from the context menu.

    Step 3: Paste EditPadPro.exe (screen shot)
    Right-click on the empty space in the right pane in Windows Explorer, and
    pick
    Paste from the context menu. You will then see a new file appear with the
    name
    "Copy of EditPadPro.exe".

    Step 4: Rename Copy of EditPadPro.exe (screen shot)
    Right-click on the new file "Copy of EditPadPro.exe" and pick Rename from
    the
    context menu.

    Step 5: Type Notepad.exe as the new name (screen shot)
    Type in Notepad.exe on the keyboard and press the Enter key to rename "Copy
    of
    EditPadPro.exe" into "Notepad.exe".

    Part 2: Move the new Notepad.exe
    into the DllCache folder.
    Windows XP has a feature that protects vital system files from being
    modified.
    Notepad is considered a vital system file. Therefore, we must first
    overwrite
    the hidden backup copy of Notepad with our EditPad Pro in disguise. The
    hidden
    backup copies of the vital system files are kept in a secret DllCache
    folder. We
    will first change some settings to make it visible. (If you wondered why a
    naked
    Windows XP installation takes so much disk space, that's because almost
    everything is installed twice. One copy that you'll actually use, and one
    copy
    for backup.)

    Step 6: Select Tools|Folder Options from the menu (screen shot)

    Step 7: Turn ON "show hidden files and folders" and turn OFF "hide protected
    operating system files" (screen shot)
    In the Folder Options screen that appears, turn ON "show hidden files and
    folders". Then turn OFF "hide protected operating system files". You may
    need to
    scroll down the list of options to see these two options. Windows will then
    ask
    you if you really want to turn off the option to hide protected files. Click
    on
    Yes. You can leave all other options as they are. Press OK to close the
    screen
    after changing options as needed.

    Step 8: Cut the new Notepad.exe (screen shot)
    Right-click on the copy of EditPadPro.exe that we have renamed to
    Notepad.exe,
    and pick Cut from the context menu. After you do that, the Notepad.exe icon
    will
    look ghostly compared to the other icons.

    Step 9: Paste Notepad.exe into Windows\System32\dllcache (screen shot)
    Use the folders pane in Windows Explorer to navigate to the
    C:\Windows\System32\dllcache folder. Then right-click in the empty space of
    the
    right hand pane listing all the files in the dllcache folder. In the context
    menu, select Paste.

    Step 10: Confirm to replace Notepad.exe (screen shot)
    Windows will now ask if you are sure you want to replace Notepad. Click Yes.

    Part 3: Copy the new Notepad.exe
    into the Windows folder.
    Step 11: Copy the new Notepad.exe (screen shot)
    Right-click on the new Notepad.exe that you just pasted into the dllcache
    folder
    (and now shows with a green EditPad icon), and select Copy from the context
    menu.

    Step 12: Paste Notepad.exe into the Windows folder (screen shot)
    Navigate to the C:\Windows folder. Right-click in the empty space of the
    right
    hand pane and select Paste from the context menu. Windows will again ask you
    confirm (screen shot). Just click Yes.

    Step 13: Tell the Windows File Protection to get lost (screen shot)
    Windows will now detect that you have just replaced one of it's "vital
    system
    files" (he he). It will then notice that the copy in the dllcache folder has
    also been tampered with! So Windows will ask you to insert your original
    Windows
    CD into your computer, so it can restore plain old Notepad. Do not insert
    the
    CD. Just click Cancel. Windows will insist, but click Cancel again and
    Windows
    will stop complaining.

    Part 4: Congratulations
    Step 14: Turn "hide protected operating system files" back on (screen shot)
    To prevent bad mistakes, it is a good idea to turn on the option to hide
    protected system files. Tampering with some of those files can really make
    your
    computer stop working, so it is best to hide them so nobody can mess with
    them
    by accident. Pick Tools|Folder Options from the menu in Windows Explorer,
    and
    activate "hide protected operating system files" again.

    Stephen Harris, Sep 3, 2004
  4. Lee C.

    Kelly Guest

    Hi Lee,

    Great to see you here! Has been a long time. And yeah, I know.....I still
    owe you that Cajun write-up thing. :blush:)

    --
    All the Best,
    Kelly

    Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP
    2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!

    Kelly, Sep 3, 2004
  5. Lee C.

    Lee C. Guest

    Hello Kelly,

    Good to see you're still sharing the wealth. Gotta be a job sometimes. I'm tinkering again, obviously. And they're gonna be doing Longhorn here soon enough and then I have to learn a whole new thing.

    And, to Steven Harris, thanks for the advice, I appreciate the thought, but I already know how to substitute another application for Notepad. What I was wondering was whether was a way to change Notepad's default from ANSI to Unicode.

    ..

    Lee C., Sep 3, 2004
  6. Lee C.

    Kelly Guest

    Hi Lee,

    Thanks for the reply!

    Yep, still up to it and thanks. :blush:) As for Longhorn, you will adapt
    easily. Have been messing around with it for a great while now. Good luck
    with Notepad, hadn't ventured into that area. It serves my purpose as is.

    Kelly, Sep 4, 2004
  7. Lee C.

    tazosmr

    Joined:
    May 16, 2013
    Messages:
    7
    Likes Received:
    0

    simple fixer, to set UNICODE(utf8) as default for notepad -

    Softpedia.Com/get/System/OS-Enhancements/Notepad-Default-UTF-8-Unicode-Creator.shtml

    tazosmr, Jul 1, 2013