    Just like in Word and Publisher, surely there is a command to increase or
    decrease spacing between lines, or add points of space before or after
    paragraphs in Excel.

    Guest, May 29, 2007

    Gord Dibben Guest

    Why surely?

    Excel is neither a word processing nor a publishing program.

    Try crunching numbers in Publisher and you'll notice the limitations and
    dissimilarities.

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

    Gord Dibben, May 29, 2007

    Tim Guest

    On May 28, 11:08 pm, Gord Dibben <gorddibbATshawDOTca> wrote:
    > Why surely?
    >
    > Excel is neither a word processing nor a publishing program.
    >
    > Try crunching numbers in Publisher and you'll notice the limitations and
    > dissimilarities.
    >
    > Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP
    >

    > On Mon, 28 May 2007 19:54:01 -0700, Jo <> wrote:
    > >Just like in Word and Publisher, surely there is a command to increase or
    > >decrease spacing between lines, or add points of space before or after
    > >paragraphs in Excel.- Hide quoted text -

    Kind of a smart ass remark for a MVP?

    Tim, Jun 12, 2007

    Gord Dibben Guest

    Tim

    Is that a question or declarative with poor punctuation?

    Gord

    Gord Dibben, Jun 12, 2007

    On 29 May, 04:08, Gord Dibben <gorddibbATshawDOTca> wrote:
    > Why surely?

    Here's a reason why - because of a shortcoming in the Paste Link
    function in Word I am having to process a series of documents in
    Excel. When printed I want these documents to look as close as
    possible to how they would have looked if I had been able to do what I
    wanted to do in Word.

    , Jul 15, 2007

    Gord Dibben Guest

    I didn't ask why someone would want to do it.

    I asked why do you think Excel "surely" has the same functionality as Word or
    Publisher, which are word processing programs.

    >Just like in Word and Publisher, surely there is a command to increase or
    >decrease spacing between lines, or add points of space before or after
    >paragraphs in Excel.

    Gord

    Gord Dibben, Jul 17, 2007

    ivytamwood77

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    The problem is that with Office 2007, the default went from Times New Roman, I believe (I always changed it to Arial) and single spacing, to Calibri and line spacing of 1.5. This is easily changed in Word and in Publisher, but not in Excel and I feel the same way - SURELY - there is a command to increase or decrease spacing in Excel. Hey, Microsoft went to the trouble of changing it to 1.5 spaces in Excel just like they did in Word and Publisher. If this doesn't matter because Excel is purely for number crunching, then why change the default spacing?

    And, Mr. MVP, why are you hanging around here if you aren't going to help? It looks to me like you stick around just to criticize so that you can feel good about yourself. I hope for your sake that you've grown up since you made these comments.

    I hope someday that you find it necessary to put more than one line of text in text in Excel 2007/2010/etc.

    ivytamwood77, Apr 11, 2011

    Big Game

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2012
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    The best I can ever do is-
    *add another row vertically below
    *add an outside border around both cells (if its some sort of table)
    *change upper line to 'bottom align'
    *change lower line to 'top align'

    -Big Game (not an Excel MVP, surely)

    Last edited: Apr 10, 2012