Change default format in 2007

Discussion in 'Microsoft Excel New Users' started by Redbourn, Dec 9, 2010.

  1. Redbourn

    Redbourn Guest

    Hi,

    Whatever I enter in at the moment displays as a date until I change
    the format manually.

    I'd like to change it (obvioulsy ?!) to either general or numbers.

    Any help would be much appreciated.

    Michael
     
    Redbourn, Dec 9, 2010
    #1
    1. Advertisements

  2. Redbourn

    Gord Dibben Guest

    2007 new workbook/new worksheet default cell format is General.

    Are you speaking of an existing workbook/sheet?

    One sheet or all sheets?

    Perhaps someone has altered the default by creating a BOOK.XLT or SHEET.XLT in
    your XLSTART folder?

    What happens when you CTRL + a to select all cells then format them as General.

    Does this format stick?


    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

    On Thu, 9 Dec 2010 02:14:17 -0800 (PST), Redbourn <> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >Whatever I enter in at the moment displays as a date until I change
    >the format manually.
    >
    >I'd like to change it (obvioulsy ?!) to either general or numbers.
    >
    >Any help would be much appreciated.
    >
    >Michael
     
    Gord Dibben, Dec 9, 2010
    #2
    1. Advertisements

  3. Redbourn

    Redbourn Guest

    On Dec 9, 6:21 pm, Gord Dibben <> wrote:
    > 2007 new workbook/new worksheet default cell format is General.
    >
    > Are you speaking of an existing workbook/sheet?
    >
    > One sheet or all sheets?
    >
    > Perhaps someone has altered the default by creating a BOOK.XLT or SHEET.XLT in
    > your XLSTART folder?
    >
    > What happens when you CTRL + a to select all cells then format them as General.
    >
    > Does this format stick?
    >
    > Gord Dibben     MS Excel MVP
    >
    > On Thu, 9 Dec 2010 02:14:17 -0800 (PST), Redbourn <> wrote:
    > >Hi,

    >
    > >Whatever I enter in at the moment displays as a date until I change
    > >the format manually.

    >
    > >I'd like to change it (obvioulsy ?!) to either general or numbers.

    >
    > >Any help would be much appreciated.

    >
    > >Michael


    Thanks for the quick and helpful reply ;-)

    >2007 new workbook/new worksheet default cell format is General.


    Are you speaking of an existing workbook/sheet?

    Existing.

    One sheet or all sheets?

    All

    Perhaps someone has altered the default by creating a BOOK.XLT or
    SHEET.XLT in
    your XLSTART folder?

    I'm the only user.

    What happens when you CTRL + a to select all cells then format them as
    General.

    Does this format stick?

    Yes,

    Michael
     
    Redbourn, Dec 9, 2010
    #3
  4. Redbourn

    Gord Dibben Guest

    Suggest you do that for all sheets in the workbook then save.

    I don't know how all formatting go changed to Date but that should clear it up.


    Gord


    On Thu, 9 Dec 2010 11:02:30 -0800 (PST), Redbourn <> wrote:

    >Perhaps someone has altered the default by creating a BOOK.XLT or
    >SHEET.XLT in
    >your XLSTART folder?
    >
    >I'm the only user.
    >
    >What happens when you CTRL + a to select all cells then format them as
    >General.
    >
    >Does this format stick?
    >
    >Yes,
     
    Gord Dibben, Dec 9, 2010
    #4
  5. Redbourn

    Redbourn Guest

    On Dec 10, 12:19 am, Gord Dibben <> wrote:
    > Suggest you do that for all sheets in the workbook then save.
    >
    > I don't know how all formatting go changed to Date but that should clear it up.
    >
    > Gord
    >
    > On Thu, 9 Dec 2010 11:02:30 -0800 (PST), Redbourn <> wrote:
    > >Perhaps someone has altered the default by creating a BOOK.XLT or
    > >SHEET.XLT in
    > >your XLSTART folder?

    >
    > >I'm the only user.

    >
    > >What happens when you CTRL + a to select all cells then format them as
    > >General.

    >
    > >Does this format stick?

    >
    > >Yes,


    I will do that for future sheets but it seems like I will have to
    change the "format" every time I make an additon to an existing page.

    Thank you all for your help,

    Michael
     
    Redbourn, Dec 12, 2010
    #5
    1. Advertisements

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Guest

    change default date format

    Guest, Feb 27, 2004, in forum: Microsoft Excel New Users
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    544
    bobojen
    Feb 27, 2004
  2. Guest

    How do i change numbers in text format to number format?

    Guest, Dec 14, 2004, in forum: Microsoft Excel New Users
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    257
    Frank Kabel
    Dec 14, 2004
  3. Guest
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    730
    JE McGimpsey
    Jan 31, 2005
  4. Guest
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    376
    Bernard Liengme
    Nov 11, 2005
  5. Guest

    how will i convert 05.01.2007 convert 05.Jan.2007 format?

    Guest, Feb 8, 2007, in forum: Microsoft Excel New Users
    Replies:
    17
    Views:
    404
    Roger Govier
    Feb 9, 2007
Loading...

Share This Page