CDBOOT: Couldn't Find NTLDR (Windows XP Home Install problem)

Discussion in 'Windows XP Setup' started by Mr. Hand, Jul 18, 2004.

  1. Mr. Hand

    Mr. Hand Guest

    I'm trying to install Windows XP Home (Full Version) on a
    new system that I've recently built but when I try to
    boot using the WinXP CD disc I get an error "CDBOOT:
    Couldn't Find NTLDR".

    Here are some FACTS:
    1. My system is a Shuttle XPS SS51G (small form factor)
    circa 2002. The components in the PC are a 2.4 GHz
    Pentium 4, Samsung 160 GB hard drive, HP CD Writer (CD-
    RW) drive, NO 3.5" Floppy, integrated VGA, integrated
    Audio.
    2. Yes, the BIOS is configured to be the first boot
    device followed by the HDD (Hard Disk Drive).
    3. I can successfully boot from a CD-R based MS-DOS boot
    disk (created using Roxio Easy CD Creator 6, File | New
    Project | Bootable Disc). I can also boot using a Norton
    Ghost boot disk (which is basically a PC-DOS boot disk
    with GHOST.EXE on it, also converted to a bootable CD).
    4. I have tried several options with my hard drive
    (Sumsung SpinPoint SP1604N OEM drive, 160 GB) before
    trying to boot my PC with the WinXP CD:
    (a) Left it as it was from the manufacturer,
    (b) Used the Norton Ghost utility GDISK to create a
    single 160GB primary partion with FAT32 format,
    (c) Used the Norton Ghost utility GDISK to create a ~30
    GB partion with FAT32 format,
    (d) Used the Norton Ghost utility GDISK to create a ~30
    GB partion with no FORMATing,
    (e) Used the Norton Ghost utility GDISK to wipe the disk
    completely clean including all partions, partition table,
    formatting, MBR (Master Boot Record), all used and unused
    space.
    All of these options still resulted in the can't find
    NTLDR message.

    From what I have dug up from Microsoft's web site and
    other Newsgroups, the Windows XP CD should be able to
    boot up and then perform all of the necessary formatting
    of the hard drive (and partitioning???). So, this would
    lead me to believe that I can leave the HDD as is and
    then use the CD to do the partitioning and formatting of
    the disc, but I can't get past the "CDBOOT: Couldn't Find
    NTLDR" error message! I did find some POSTS of this same
    problem but didn't see any resolution for it. One post
    instructed you to copy the NTLR file from a working
    Windows XP system to "C:\" on the new PC and then try
    using the Win XP boot disc but that didn't work either.

    Any help with this problem would be appreciated!

    -Thanks in advance to any replies

    Mr. Hand, Jul 18, 2004

  2. Mr. Hand

    Pegasus Guest

    "Mr. Hand" <> wrote in message
    > I'm trying to install Windows XP Home (Full Version) on a
    > new system that I've recently built but when I try to
    > boot using the WinXP CD disc I get an error "CDBOOT:
    > Couldn't Find NTLDR".
    >
    > Here are some FACTS:
    > 1. My system is a Shuttle XPS SS51G (small form factor)
    > circa 2002. The components in the PC are a 2.4 GHz
    > Pentium 4, Samsung 160 GB hard drive, HP CD Writer (CD-
    > RW) drive, NO 3.5" Floppy, integrated VGA, integrated
    > Audio.
    > 2. Yes, the BIOS is configured to be the first boot
    > device followed by the HDD (Hard Disk Drive).
    > 3. I can successfully boot from a CD-R based MS-DOS boot
    > disk (created using Roxio Easy CD Creator 6, File | New
    > Project | Bootable Disc). I can also boot using a Norton
    > Ghost boot disk (which is basically a PC-DOS boot disk
    > with GHOST.EXE on it, also converted to a bootable CD).
    > 4. I have tried several options with my hard drive
    > (Sumsung SpinPoint SP1604N OEM drive, 160 GB) before
    > trying to boot my PC with the WinXP CD:
    > (a) Left it as it was from the manufacturer,
    > (b) Used the Norton Ghost utility GDISK to create a
    > single 160GB primary partion with FAT32 format,
    > (c) Used the Norton Ghost utility GDISK to create a ~30
    > GB partion with FAT32 format,
    > (d) Used the Norton Ghost utility GDISK to create a ~30
    > GB partion with no FORMATing,
    > (e) Used the Norton Ghost utility GDISK to wipe the disk
    > completely clean including all partions, partition table,
    > formatting, MBR (Master Boot Record), all used and unused
    > space.
    > All of these options still resulted in the can't find
    > NTLDR message.
    >
    > From what I have dug up from Microsoft's web site and
    > other Newsgroups, the Windows XP CD should be able to
    > boot up and then perform all of the necessary formatting
    > of the hard drive (and partitioning???). So, this would
    > lead me to believe that I can leave the HDD as is and
    > then use the CD to do the partitioning and formatting of
    > the disc, but I can't get past the "CDBOOT: Couldn't Find
    > NTLDR" error message! I did find some POSTS of this same
    > problem but didn't see any resolution for it. One post
    > instructed you to copy the NTLR file from a working
    > Windows XP system to "C:\" on the new PC and then try
    > using the Win XP boot disc but that didn't work either.
    >
    > Any help with this problem would be appreciated!
    >
    > -Thanks in advance to any replies

    There is something strange with your item 2) above where
    you write "the BIOS is configured to be the first boot
    device". The BIOS is not really a boot device, but you need
    to instruct the BIOS to consider the CD drive as the first
    boot device.

    There could be something wrong with your WinXP CD.
    Ask for a replacement. In the meantime, you can load
    WinXP like so:

    1. Create a primary active FAT32 partition of the
    required size, as in b) above.

    2. Boot the machine with a Win98 boot disk (www.bootdisk.com).

    3. Run this command off the CD: \i386\winnt.exe

    4. Later on, convert your system partition to NTFS if desired.

    Pegasus, Jul 18, 2004

  3. Mr. Hand

    Mr. Hand Guest

    Sorry about that, it's been a late night for me ;).

    What I meant was that the CD-ROM drive is setup in the
    BOIS to be the first boot device.

    Hope this clarifies things,

    WILL be the first boot

    Mr. Hand, Jul 18, 2004
  4. Mr. Hand

    Mr. Hand Guest

    Will the WINNT.EXE be on the Win98 boot disc or is this
    the WINNT.EXE from my WinXP CD? I don't have a floppy
    drive in my new system so I don't think that I'll be able
    to execute any file that isn't on the CD that I boot up
    with (Right?). i.e. I won't be able to swap discs.

    Thanks again for the reply,

    Mr. Hand, Jul 18, 2004
  5. Mr. Hand

    JAX Guest

    After reading your post several times, it seems to me, somehow you have over
    complicated things for yourself. If you are doing a new install of XP why
    did you do any of the items mentioned in #4?

    In order to do a "clean install" of XP, all you need is the XP disk. With
    it, you can format, partition, and install XP with no outside help.
    Disconnect everything from your computer, except the mouse, keyboard, and
    monitor. Then follow the instructions offered by the following link.
    Thanks to Michael Stevens

    HTH, JAX

    JAX, Jul 18, 2004
  6. Mr. Hand

    Pegasus Guest

    In your original post you said that you could successfully
    boot your machine with a DOS boot CD. Does it have
    a CD driver? If yes, do as I suggested in my first reply.
    If no, make a boot CD on somebody else's PC from the
    boot diskette whose link I gave you.

    Pegasus, Jul 18, 2004
  7. Mr. Hand

    Mr. Hand Guest

    Yes, I may be overcomplicating things! However, as I a
    stated, when I first tried to perform the Clean
    Installation of Windows XP Home (Full Retail Edition) on
    my new system I got the "CDBOOT:.Couldn't find NTLDR"
    message and I could not go any further with the install.
    So, I thought that I maybe needn't to Partition and/or
    Format my HD first. So, I used an MS-DOS boot CD with the
    GDISK utility on it and went from there.

    I do only have the following hooked up externally to the
    PC:
    1. PS2 Keyboard,
    2. PS2 Mouse,
    3. A/C Power,
    4. Analog monitor.

    Internally, the only devices that I have connected to the
    motherboard are:
    1. CD-RW drive,
    2. Hard Drive (unfomatted and unpartitioned)
    3. Plus, of course, the CPU and RAM.

    Can anyone explain what the WinXP boot CD is doing when
    the PC is trying tp boot from the CD? Does it need to
    copy files to the hard disk before it can continue with
    the installation (i.e. it must "see" a partition on the
    HD to copy the files to)? From what I've read it sounds
    like it should go through the FDISK and FORMAT routine in
    some fashion before going on with the installation?

    All the help is REALLY appreciated since this is the
    first time that I've ever tried to install WinXP on brand
    new hardware! Besides, the wife is already
    touting "Dude, you should've got a Dell!".

    Mr. Hand, Jul 18, 2004
  8. Mr. Hand

    Pegasus Guest

    See below.

    "Mr. Hand" <> wrote in message
    > Yes, I may be overcomplicating things! However, as I a
    > stated, when I first tried to perform the Clean
    > Installation of Windows XP Home (Full Retail Edition) on
    > my new system I got the "CDBOOT:.Couldn't find NTLDR"
    > message and I could not go any further with the install.
    > So, I thought that I maybe needn't to Partition and/or
    > Format my HD first. So, I used an MS-DOS boot CD with the
    > GDISK utility on it and went from there.
    >
    > I do only have the following hooked up externally to the
    > PC:
    > 1. PS2 Keyboard,
    > 2. PS2 Mouse,
    > 3. A/C Power,
    > 4. Analog monitor.
    >
    > Internally, the only devices that I have connected to the
    > motherboard are:
    > 1. CD-RW drive,
    > 2. Hard Drive (unfomatted and unpartitioned)
    > 3. Plus, of course, the CPU and RAM.
    >
    > Can anyone explain what the WinXP boot CD is doing when
    > the PC is trying tp boot from the CD?

    *** As I mentioned before, it's probably defective.

    > Does it need to
    > copy files to the hard disk before it can continue with
    > the installation (i.e. it must "see" a partition on the
    > HD to copy the files to)?

    *** No.

    > From what I've read it sounds
    > like it should go through the FDISK and FORMAT routine in
    > some fashion before going on with the installation?

    *** No.

    > All the help is REALLY appreciated since this is the
    > first time that I've ever tried to install WinXP on brand
    > new hardware! Besides, the wife is already
    > touting "Dude, you should've got a Dell!".

    *** It depends on your attitude. Dell is fine
    *** if you don't want to know what's under
    *** the bonnet, and if you're happy to pay
    *** someone when things go wrong.

    Pegasus, Jul 18, 2004
  9. Mr. Hand

    JAX Guest

    Hello again,

    If you have the BIOS set to 1st boot CD, if there are no hardware problems,
    and if, as Pegasus mentioned, the CD is not defective. When you "power-on"
    the computer, you should get a prompt to boot from CD, press any key. You
    will be given the opportunity to format and partition the drive. That being
    done, install can begin. Windows will take it from there. There is very
    little you have to do except enter your key, set the time-zone,etc.
    CAUTION!! During installation, you will be prompted to boot from CD a second
    time, DON'T pres any key, it will start the whole process over again.
    (this information is generalized for simplicity)

    The following link will show graphics for a full install of XP Home edition.
    http://www.theeldergeek.com/xp_home_install_-_graphic.htm
    Thanks to The Elder Geek

    HTH, JAX

    JAX, Jul 18, 2004
  10. Mr. Hand

    Jetro Guest

    Don't remember where the original info is:

    This message can appear while booting self-made XP/2k/NT CDs. It is
    generated by the bootsector NT5BOOT.BIN (WinXP/Win2k) or NT4BOOT.BIN
    (WinNT4).
    The message means that the bootsector was unable to find the file
    \I386\SETUPLDR.BIN on the CD. There can be two reasons: first is obvious -
    the file is not present; second is more complex:

    Depending on the CD writing program, the file SETUPLDR.BIN (and every other
    file on the CD) is stored in the file table either as SETUPLDR.BIN;1 or else
    as SETUPLDR.BIN. The first variant is standard (';1' is "file version" as
    described in ISO9660 and an obligatory part of the file name), the second
    variant is used by Microsoft. The bootsectors NT5BOOT.BIN and NT4BOOT.BIN
    will only find the file \I386\SETUPLDR.BIN if the ';1' is not present.

    Jetro, Jul 18, 2004
  11. Mr. Hand

    Mr. Hand Guest

    The Windows XP disc that I'm using is a Full Retail
    version of Windows XP Home (purchased from Staples).

    I'm trying to locate a 3.5 Floppy that I can install in
    the new PC then use the WinXP Boot Floppies from
    Microsoft (6 disk set) in an attempt to get around the
    inability to boot from the CD.

    Thanks for the reply!

    Mr. Hand, Jul 19, 2004
  12. Mr. Hand

    Mr. Hand Guest

    Thanks again for the reply. I do see the message about
    the PC booting from the CD but then my CD drive spins for
    several minutes then generates the "CDBOOT: Couldn't Find
    NTLDR" message and then I have to Ctrl+Alt+Del to get it
    to restart to try and boot from the CD again. As I
    previously stated, I can boot from an MS-DOS boot disc
    (CD) so maybe my brand new Windows XP Home CD
    installation disc is bad! Who knows, stranger things have
    happened! I thoroughly checked the surface of the disc
    and it looks flawless.

    Anyhow, just in case the Win XP disc is good, I'm now
    trying to locate a 3.5" Floppy to install in my new PC
    and then I'll use the Microsoft 6-disk-set of the WinXP
    Home Boot Disks that I downloaded. If that route doesn't
    work I'll try the Windows98 boot disk.

    If you're interested, I'll post back later to let you
    know how that turned out.

    Mr. Hand, Jul 19, 2004
  13. Mr. Hand

    JAX Guest

    There is a possibility that the problem is in your CD drive. If you have
    access to another one try swapping it out but, yes, please post back and let
    us know how it turns out.

    LOL, JAX.

    JAX, Jul 19, 2004
  14. Mr. Hand

    Mr. Hand Guest

    Re: CDBOOT: Couldn't Find NTLDR (HARDWARE problem)

    Just thought I'd post a followup message regarding my own
    problem...

    Turns out that the CD-RW drive I was trying to use, a
    1998 HP CD-Writer Plus 8100 Series (HP C4392-56000) was
    bad. Even though I could use it to boot up MS-DOS boot
    discs and Ghost Boot discs! Evidently, it works when
    reading certain parts of a disc but then when it gets
    towards the outside of the disc it either fails or
    perfomrms VERY SLOWLY!!! I finally figured this out after
    downloading the 6-disk-set of WinXP Boot Disks and
    installing using them. When the files were being copied
    from the WinXP CD in the CD-RW drive to the hard drive it
    took over 6 hours to complete!!! So, I removed an old
    TEAC 6x CD-ROM drive out of my old computer and installed
    it in the new one and it worked great. After wiping out
    my hard drive to do a clean install, I tried the WinXP
    boot disc. Just as advertised, when I booted up on the
    disc it worked great. It saw my hard drive then asked me
    to partion/format it and then continued with the
    installation process. Total time for the whole thing this
    time around was 40 minutes tops! Wow, what a difference
    and not a single problem with WinXP Home (w/ SP1).

    Thanks again to those who replied.

    >>> 1. PS2 Keyboard,
    >>> 2. PS2 Mouse,
    >>> 3. A/C Power,
    >>> 4. Analog monitor.
    >>>
    >>> Internally, the only devices that I have connected to

    >the
    >>> motherboard are:
    >>> 1. CD-RW drive,
    >>> 2. Hard Drive (unfomatted and unpartitioned)
    >>> 3. Plus, of course, the CPU and RAM.
    >>>
    >>> Can anyone explain what the WinXP boot CD is doing

    when
    >>> the PC is trying tp boot from the CD? Does it need to
    >>> copy files to the hard disk before it can continue

    with
    >>> the installation (i.e. it must "see" a partition on

    the
    >>> HD to copy the files to)? From what I've read it

    sounds
    >>> like it should go through the FDISK and FORMAT

    routine
    >in
    >>> some fashion before going on with the installation?
    >>>
    >>> All the help is REALLY appreciated since this is the
    >>> first time that I've ever tried to install WinXP on

    >brand
    >>> new hardware! Besides, the wife is already
    >>> touting "Dude, you should've got a Dell!".

    wrote

    Mr. Hand, Jul 20, 2004
  15. Mr. Hand

    JAX Guest