CD Playback problems on Sound Blaster Live! sound card

Discussion in 'Windows XP General' started by Guest, May 1, 2005.

    I'm having a problem playing CDs from Windows Media player 10.00.00.3802. It
    only happens when playing back song on cds. It crackles and skips. All
    other play back works great including ripping music from the cd and playing
    it back on the hard drive.

    I fixed the same problem with another machine (which was a little faster,
    same sound card) by turning on the hyper threading feature. The problem with
    that fix is that this machine does not support hyper threading.

    I've upgraded the Sound Blaster drivers (several ways), tweaked the hardware
    acceleration features, adjusted the IRQ (by switching slots), adjusted all
    settings in XP audio settings, and messed with every setting in Windows Media
    10 known to man (minus registry settings).

    Brief summary on hardware:
    Dell GX260 (512 Meg of Ram, 2.4 GHz Pentium 4 Processor)
    Sound Blaster Live! Digital
    Samsung SC-148C 48x CD-ROM
    Harmon HK206 Analog Speakers

    Brief summary on software:
    Windows XP w/ Service Pack 2 (freshly loaded)
    Windows Media 10.00.00.3802

    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Sorry about the double post.
    I forgot an important paragraph on last post.

    Guest, May 1, 2005

    Take a look here:
    Resources for Troubleshooting Sound Problems in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q307918
    --
    I'm no expert, but I did stay at
    the Holiday Inn Express last night.

    Guest, May 1, 2005

    I went through it again but still crackles on playback of cds.

    Guest, May 1, 2005

    Les Herrman Guest

    Are you suing Digital or analog playback? Try switching it to the
    other setting...(Note for analog you need the cable from the cd to the
    sound card for digital you do not)

    Les Herrman, May 2, 2005