Cardex Service

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone is able to help, i have the following error that seems to be occuring once or twice a day and it causes my PC to just reboot randomly:

The Cardex service failed to start due to the following error:
Cannot create a file when that file already exists.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Its the only error in my event viewer so i can only assume this is the cause of the problem, i have searched the internet in vain but have yet to find a single solution (but a few people with the same problem).

My system is as follows:

Athlon 64 3500+
MSI Neo 2 Platinum Board
1024mb Crucial Ballistix Ram
Gainward 6800 GT Ultra
Maxtor 160GB SATA HDD
Benq DVD+RW
Cobra Gaming Case (3 internal fans)

Running on Windows XP Pro

If anyone could help I would be eternally gratefull :)

Regards

John

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Go back to 'event viewer' and tell what was the proceeding line.

error 183 ... "ERROR_ALREADY_EXISTS" ... is the closest I can get to your problem, but that deals with Win ME, primarily.

:confused:

Reaction score
Hi, not really sure what you mean....the event after the Cardex error is the following:

The SSDP Discovery Service service entered the running state.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

This is not an error though. Like i said the only error i am receiving in the event viewer is the Cardex service error, and it seems to just make my PC reboot randomly.

muckshifter

Reaction score
I was looking for the line before the 'error' in event viewer ... do you use the Cardex service, as it's not part of Windows, its a program.

:)

Reaction score
I have no idea what the "Cardex Service" is. Its not listed under services in the admin tools.

muckshifter

Reaction score
Mekismo said:
I have no idea what the "Cardex Service" is. Its not listed under services in the admin tools.
I know, that is what is confusing me also ... ;)

Usually, but not in your case, the line before the error is the cause of the error ... but as I said, in you case it is not.

Now where, what, who is this Cardex Service ... I'll see what I can find.

muckshifter

Reaction score
Do you have a graphics card that has the brand name Cardex ... ?

Cluching at straws here ... :blush:

muckshifter

Reaction score
I'm at a loss I'm afraid ... I really do not like being beaten by a machine ... my exhausted arsonal comes up a blank.

Cardex, a company, used to make nVidia chipset based cards ... so they are out, Cardex is also a Card Indexing program/filing system ... I rulled them out 'cos its mainly paper based. Error 183 = "Cannot create a file when that file already exists" is old 98/ME pre XP

You got me ... :confused:

It seems only particular to your system :(

Sorry :blush:

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
ok now this is kinda weird, i searched for cardex and google returns the gainward site at the top which i ignored and carried on down the list i then come to driverguide.com which has some graphics drivers, which seemed normal enough so i take a quick look and it has 'company info' i think great see who they are and what they make, click company info and it comes up with gainward :confused:

so it seems that cardex is gainward and seeing as you have a gainward card i'd say its something to do with your graphics card drivers

muckshifter

Reaction score
Two heads are better than one ... :thumb:

Something like the old nVidia Helper ... that used to screw around with some systems.

Well spotted lad. :D

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
Two heads are better than one ... :thumb:

Something like the old nVidia Helper ... that used to screw around with some systems.

Well spotted lad. :D

i thought that i was just an error on the site but once i read your previous post i thought i'd have another look and it seems that its always been the same company, why cant they just stick to the one name :mad:

Reaction score
Thanks guys, its strange but i am now getting this message for the cardex (not an error):

The Cardex service was successfully sent a start control.

But now i am getting some other errors :(

This morning PC booted up with "Windows has recovered from a serious error" x 4

Each event error contained these type of messages:

Error code 10000050, parameter1 96de42bc, parameter2 00000000, parameter3 f70db5f3, parameter4 00000000.

I'm pretty sure its my ram, i ran memtest86 last night, and it found 20 errors with both 512mb in, i took one out at a time and it found no errors on them individually, then i put them both back in and it found no errors again (i am totally confused).

Any ideas?

muckshifter

Reaction score
I'm leaning more and more to a Video card/driver problem ... try nVidia's latest drivers 77.77 ... if you have another card you can try, may help.

Reaction score
Eek, I hope its not the GFX card, this thing cost me like 340 quid last year!

Will try the latest drivers,i am currently running 71.89 from nvidia.com. I remember updating the drivers about 3 weeks ago and after doing so all my .avi files were not running properly as they played with a strangely high contrast. After rolling back the drivers problem was removed.

muckshifter

Reaction score
yes, not cheap are they

Yup, that happened to a few of us ... nVidia were quick with the revision fortunatly.

I would be inclined to compleatly remove the driver before installing the new one and use a reg cleaner before installing the new ... although roll-back may not work.

Although Gainward make some of the best card around ... it's still not unusually for some to fail, :( I hope its a driver problem.

It is safe to install new nVidia drivers over the the top of the old if you wish to go that route. :thumb:

Reaction score
I don't believe this, its going from 1 problem to the next.....so i was going through my pc, checking drivers for updates and i updated my Realtek AC97 Audio drivers for the onboard sound on the MSI neo 2 platinum. Now for some reason everytime i reboot the pc i get the welcome sound into windows, but a myserious dos box appears for a split second and i am unable to read what it says, but after that i have no audio unless i go into task manager, remove the drivers and then wait for it to find them again.

Sorry, but any ideas?

Ask a Question