    --
    Have A Great Day!
    Bill Meyer

    Bill Meyer, Apr 11, 2008

  2. Bill Meyer

    Leonard Grey Guest

    Why not try a USB-to-parallel adapter.

    ---
    Leonard Grey
    Errare humanum est

    Leonard Grey, Apr 11, 2008

  3. On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 13:58:27 -0400, "Bill Meyer" <>
    wrote:

    > Anyone have a way to make a USB printer capture the LPT1 port? I have a DOS
    > program that will only print to a parallel port. With some of the new
    > printers that only have USB connections a DOS program can't print to them.
    > There is no replacement for this program and it still runs fine on XP and
    > Vista. Just this printer problem. Thanks in advance for any help.

    Set up the printer as a shared printer
    Issue the command
    NET USE LPT1: \\computername\sharedprintername

    Please Reply to the Newsgroup

    Ken Blake, MVP, Apr 11, 2008
  4. Bill Meyer

    Claymore Guest

    On Apr 11, 1:58 pm, "Bill Meyer" <> wrote:
    > Anyone have a way to make a USB printer capture the LPT1 port? I have a DOS
    > program that will only print to a parallel port. With some of the new
    > printers that only have USB connections a DOS program can't print to them.
    > There is no replacement for this program and it still runs fine on XP and
    > Vista. Just this printer problem. Thanks in advance for any help.
    >
    > --
    > Have A Great Day!
    > Bill Meyer

    Hello Bill,

    As you know, you can't normally print from DOS to a USB printer. With
    an adapter, you can print from a USB port to a serial printer, but not
    vice-versa.
    Until recently, I was printing to a file from within the program
    (creates a .prn file), then importing the .prn file to a word
    processor, and then printing to the USB printer from there. All too
    laborious. Then I discovered this, which expands on Mr. Blake's
    solution:

    http://geekswithblogs.net/dtotzke/articles/26204.aspx

    Claymore, Apr 11, 2008
  5. Bill Meyer

    Bill Meyer Guest

    Hi Ken & Claymore
    Thank You both for your Quick and helpful response! I will let you know
    which way works the best and easiest.

    --
    Have A Great Day!
    Bill Meyer

    Bill Meyer, Apr 11, 2008
  6. On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 17:57:00 -0400, "Bill Meyer" <>
    wrote:

    > Hi Ken & Claymore
    > Thank You both for your Quick and helpful response! I will let you know
    > which way works the best and easiest.

    You're welcome. Glad to help.

    Please Reply to the Newsgroup

    Ken Blake, MVP, Apr 11, 2008
  7. Bill Meyer

    Claymore Guest

    Claymore, Apr 12, 2008
  8. Bill Meyer

    Bill Meyer Guest

    Hi Claymore
    Thanks for the extras.

    --
    Have A Great Day!
    Bill Meyer

    Bill Meyer, Apr 12, 2008
  9. Bill Meyer

    Stan Brown Guest

    Fri, 11 Apr 2008 11:40:10 -0700 from Ken Blake, MVP
    <>:
    [to print from a DOS program]

    > Set up the printer as a shared printer
    > Issue the command
    > NET USE LPT1: \\computername\sharedprintername

    Ken,

    I tried this command:
    net use lpt1: "\\TALLEYRAND\Brother HL5250-DN duplex"
    and the response was
    System error 67 has occurred.
    The network name cannot be found.

    What am I doing wrong? I got the computer name from the
    %COMPUTERNAME% environment variable, and the printer name from the
    Printer Properties dialog. I don't imagine the names are case
    sensitive, but I matched the case exactly anyway.

    I tried this both with the printer not connected and with the printer
    connected.

    http://OakRoadSystems.com
    Shikata ga nai...

    Stan Brown, Apr 13, 2008
  10. Bill Meyer

    Rich/rerat Guest

    Stan Brown,
    Try renaming the printer in the Printer folder to less than 13 characters
    without a space.
    Brother HL5250-DN duplex gets changed to something like this:
    BroHL5250
    So the command becomes:
    NET USE LPT1: \\computername\BroHL5250

    Rich/rerat
    (RRR News) <message rule>

    "Stan Brown" <> wrote in message
    Fri, 11 Apr 2008 11:40:10 -0700 from Ken Blake, MVP
    [to print from a DOS program]

    Rich/rerat, Apr 13, 2008
  11. Bill Meyer

    Stan Brown Guest

    Sun, 13 Apr 2008 14:33:14 -0400 from Rich/rerat <>:

    > "Stan Brown" <> wrote in message
    > Fri, 11 Apr 2008 11:40:10 -0700 from Ken Blake, MVP
    > <>:
    > [to print from a DOS program]
    > > Set up the printer as a shared printer
    > > Issue the command
    > > NET USE LPT1: \\computername\sharedprintername

    > I tried this command:
    > net use lpt1: "\\TALLEYRAND\Brother HL5250-DN duplex"
    > and the response was
    > System error 67 has occurred.
    > The network name cannot be found.
    >
    > What am I doing wrong? I got the computer name from the
    > %COMPUTERNAME% environment variable, and the printer name from the
    > Printer Properties dialog. I don't imagine the names are case
    > sensitive, but I matched the case exactly anyway.
    >
    > I tried this both with the printer not connected and with the printer
    > connected.

    > Try renaming the printer in the Printer folder to less than 13
    > characters without a space.
    > Brother HL5250-DN duplex gets changed to something like this:
    > BroHL5250
    > So the command becomes:
    > NET USE LPT1: \\computername\BroHL5250

    Is there any form of aliasing or nicknaming available? If I change
    the name of my printer that's going to screw up several programs that
    have different settings for different printers.

    The "Printers and Faxes" dialog doesn't allow a copy/paste, and "Add
    New Printer" has the "local printer" option grayed out for some
    reason.

    http://OakRoadSystems.com
    Shikata ga nai...

    Stan Brown, Apr 13, 2008
  12. Bill Meyer

    Swifty Guest

    > Is there any form of aliasing or nicknaming available? If I change
    > the name of my printer that's going to screw up several programs that
    > have different settings for different printers.

    I opened a command prompt and entered the command "net view". This
    listed my PC and my laptop.

    I took the PC's name (it has my printer) and entered:
    "net view \\IBM-4ADGB085204"

    Amongst the stuff listed:

    Share name Type Used as Comment
    CanonS750 Print Canon S750

    That first column seems to be what you want.

    --
    Steve Swift
    http://www.swiftys.org.uk/swifty.html

    Swifty, Apr 14, 2008
  13. Bill Meyer

    Stan Brown Guest

    Mon, 14 Apr 2008 07:12:30 +0100 from Swifty
    <>:
    > > Is there any form of aliasing or nicknaming available? If I change
    > > the name of my printer that's going to screw up several programs that
    > > have different settings for different printers.

    > I opened a command prompt and entered the command "net view". This
    > listed my PC and my laptop.

    Thanks for this. I think you've put your finger on the problem,
    because with "net view" I get

    System error 1060 has occurred.
    The specified service does not exist as an installed service.

    My printer is physically attached to my computer. Do I nevertheless
    have to create some sort of pseudo network?

    http://OakRoadSystems.com
    Shikata ga nai...

    Stan Brown, Apr 15, 2008
  14. Bill Meyer

    Bill Meyer Guest

    Hi Stan
    Why not just add another printer to your system and make that one the
    one you use. This would leave the other users being able to print to the old
    one. I am the one that asked this original question and the net use command
    solved the problem for me. Being from the old DOS programs I have many many
    uses for these commands and try to keep my naming to no more than 8 letters
    for naming devices just in case.
    After everyone gave me the answer to my question I remembered that I
    have a system that doesn't have a parallel port and I checked it, I was
    using the same command that I had asked the question about. Out of sight,
    out of mind. Remember to add that printer you might need administrator
    rights on your system.

    --
    Have A Great Day!
    Bill Meyer

    Bill Meyer, Apr 15, 2008
  15. Stan Brown wrote :

    > I tried this command:
    > net use lpt1: "\\TALLEYRAND\Brother HL5250-DN duplex"

    To me, this looks like you are trying to reach the printer by its
    driver name, and not the name defined in the sharing tab.

    /klaus

    --

    /klaus

    Klaus Jorgensen, Apr 15, 2008