    How can I find out what caused the upgrade failure so I can fix that problem
    and continue with the install?
    Mich

    M Skabialka, Apr 15, 2008

  2. M Skabialka

    Mick Murphy Guest

    You don't give enough info.
    If you were trying to upgrade 32bit to 64bit, it won't do it!
    --
    Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

    Mick Murphy, Apr 15, 2008

  3. Hello,
    Search the machine for a setupact.log file.
    use this article to locate:
    927521 Windows Vista setup log file locations
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;927521

    The reason should be in this log file.

    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------

    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Apr 16, 2008
  4. M Skabialka

    Gary Mount Guest

    You can get your personal settings back by using the files and settings
    transfer wizard before you install the new Vista.
    You will have to reinstall your applications though.

    Gary Mount, Apr 16, 2008
  5. M Skabialka

    ronniepitt Guest

    I just ran into the same thing you were experiencing. This is how I was able
    to go ahead and install the upgrade: When the upgrade disc asked me how I
    wanted to install the O/S, I chose clean install instead of the upgrade. Of
    course all my applications and settings went away and it stuck all the old
    files in a folder named "Windows Old" but that fixed the problem. I went to
    device manager after the upgrade to see what devices didn't get installed and
    the only one that didn't was the Serial ATA controller for my Intel D975XBX2
    motherboard. I'm assuming that driver was what was causing mine to crash just
    as it was finishing up the upgrade in previous attempts. Hope this is helpful.

    ronniepitt, Apr 16, 2008
  6. M Skabialka

    M Skabialka Guest

    The error message was: "Windows installation has encountered an error and
    cannot continue".
    This is the setup error log file contents:

    2008-04-13 21:44:00, Error [0x080567] MIG
    CUpgradeAgent::GetMigXmlIDs: XML parse error while loading script
    oscomps.xml: class UnBCL::XmlException: hResult = 0x0, Line = 0, Position =
    0; An invalid character was found in text content.
    .. .
    void __thiscall UnBCL::XmlDocument::Load(class UnBCL::String *)

    2008-04-13 21:44:00, Error [0x0802fa] MIG MigStartUp caught
    exception: class UnBCL::XmlException: hResult = 0x0, Line = 0, Position =
    0; An invalid character was found in text content.
    .. .
    class UnBCL::ArrayList<class UnBCL::String *> *__thiscall
    Mig::CUpgradeAgent::GetMigXmlIDs(void)
    void __thiscall UnBCL::XmlDocument::Load(class UnBCL::String *)

    Sure I could wipe the system and start over but what is the challenge in
    that?
    Both versions are 32 bit.
    Mich

    M Skabialka, Apr 18, 2008
  7. Hello,
    The error indicates a problem within oscomps.xml, possibly corrupted text
    in that file.
    Or this could be an invalid entry in the one of the folder names under
    c:\users
    Check your folders under c:\users for any foldernames containing unusual
    characters.
    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Apr 18, 2008
  8. M Skabialka

    M Skabialka Guest

    I couldn't stand the suspense - I wiped the system and started over with no
    problems. Good thing I hadn't transferred all of my files and folders yet
    though!

    M Skabialka, Apr 23, 2008