    I've given up for the time being, but would be grateful if someone can cast
    sopme light on this.

    cw

    cw, Dec 23, 2004

  2. Did you scan your computer prior to installation to make sure your PC is infector free ?

    Many infectors will not let anti virus and FireWall software run properly.

    If you haven't... try some of the below sites...

    BitDefender:
    http://www.bitdefender.com/scan/license.php

    Computer Associates:

    DialogueScience:
    http://www.antivir.ru/english/www_av/

    F-Secure:
    http://support.f-secure.com/enu/home/ols.shtml

    Freedom Online scanner:
    http://www.freedom.net/viruscenter/index.html

    Kaspersky:
    http://www.kaspersky.com/de/scanforvirus

    McAfee:
    http://www.mcafee.com/myapps/mfs/default.asp

    Panda:

    Symantec:
    http://security.symantec.com/

    Trend:
    http://housecall.antivirus.com
    http://housecall.trendmicro.com

    * * * Please report your results ! * * *

    --
    Dave

    David H. Lipman, Dec 23, 2004

  3. cw wrote:
    > I've tried a couple of times to install the latest free version of Avast on
    > my XPSP2 system, but I cannot start the background monitoring services at
    > all. Every time I try to start them I just get a message saying that this
    > action cannot be completed, with no explanation.
    >
    > I've given up for the time being, but would be grateful if someone can cast
    > sopme light on this.
    >
    > cw

    what other anti-virus programs do you have installed?
    any other scanners?
    -max

    --
    Keeping Windows Clean: http://www.geocities.com/maxpro4u/madmax.html
    Virus Cleaning+Fixes: http://www.geocities.com/maxpro4u/TechPros

    Max M.Wachtel III, Dec 23, 2004
  4. cw

    cw Guest

    "Max M.Wachtel III" <> wrote in message
    > cw wrote:
    >> I've tried a couple of times to install the latest free version of Avast
    >> on my XPSP2 system, but I cannot start the background monitoring services
    >> at all. Every time I try to start them I just get a message saying that
    >> this action cannot be completed, with no explanation.
    >>
    >> I've given up for the time being, but would be grateful if someone can
    >> cast sopme light on this.
    >>
    >> cw

    > what other anti-virus programs do you have installed?
    > any other scanners?
    > -max

    I did have Norton AV before which I uninstalled through Windows. I also had
    AVG, but I did a complete uninstall of that before trying to run Avast.
    However, I understand that both of these programs leave residue files, and
    it's not immediately obvious how to completely rid one's computer of this
    stuff.

    cw

    cw, Dec 25, 2004
  5. cw wrote:
    > "Max M.Wachtel III" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>cw wrote:
    >>
    >>>I've tried a couple of times to install the latest free version of Avast
    >>>on my XPSP2 system, but I cannot start the background monitoring services
    >>>at all. Every time I try to start them I just get a message saying that
    >>>this action cannot be completed, with no explanation.
    >>>
    >>>I've given up for the time being, but would be grateful if someone can
    >>>cast sopme light on this.
    >>>
    >>>cw

    >>what other anti-virus programs do you have installed?
    >>any other scanners?
    >>-max
    >>

    > I did have Norton AV before which I uninstalled through Windows. I also had
    > AVG, but I did a complete uninstall of that before trying to run Avast.
    > However, I understand that both of these programs leave residue files, and
    > it's not immediately obvious how to completely rid one's computer of this
    > stuff.
    >
    > cw

    You could try a couple of cleaners.Try BeClean and RegCleaner first.
    In Windows Explorer, set Folder Options to “show all files”.
    Clean out all temp, cache, ect. files.

    Download BeClean here:
    http://boozet.xepher.net/beclean/

    CrapCleaner here:
    http://www.ccleaner.com/

    RegSeeker here:
    http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm

    RegCleaner here:

    You should make sure your machine is free of malware.

    Download Sysclean from here:
    http://www.trendmicro.com/ftp/products/tsc/sysclean.com
    Read this(it tells you how to use it!):
    http://www.trendmicro.com/ftp/products/tsc/readme.txt
    Reboot into safe mode and run Sysclean, write down results, then reboot
    normally.
    If offending file is in “restore” read this:
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPOR...2001111912274039?OpenDocument&src=sec_doc_nam

    Download AdAware from here:
    Read the help files,download the winsock fix, and then Update and run
    AdAware.
    If you lose your Internet connection after running AdAware run the fix.
    Winsock Fix here:
    http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=257

    Download Spybot Search+Destroy here:
    Read this:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/tutorial/index.html
    Update and run Spybot (enable all protection).

    Download Spyware Blaster here: (enable all protection)

    Run a couple of online scanners (pick a different one than your main AV):

    BitDefender:

    Norton:
    http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/...d=sym&plfid=23&pkj=XHPGJRSOMVZGYYTZXPE&bhcp=1

    Panda:

    eTrust:

    House Call:

    Download Bazooka here:
    http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/

    More scanners:

    Download SwatIt here:
    http://swatit.org/

    Download KL-Detector here
    http://dewasoft.com/privacy/kldetector.htm

    Download CWShredder here

    Download HijackThis here:
    Install, run and save the log that is created. Don’t let it fix anything
    yet!
    You can find forums to post the log to have it analyzed here:
    http://tomcoyote.org/hjt/

    Download Stinger here:
    http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

    Download eScan here:
    http://www.mwti.net/antivirus/free_utilities.asp
    Rename the downloaded file escan.zip and extract (with a zip program) to
    C:\Downloads, which you will have to create. Run the updater
    (kavupd.exe) and then run eScan (mwavscan.exe).

    I have more info on my sites.
    -max

    Max M.Wachtel III, Dec 26, 2004
  6. cw

    Donald Bock Guest

    "cw" <> wrote in

    > "Max M.Wachtel III" <> wrote in message
    >> cw wrote:
    >>> I've tried a couple of times to install the latest free version of
    >>> Avast on my XPSP2 system, but I cannot start the background
    >>> monitoring services at all. Every time I try to start them I just
    >>> get a message saying that this action cannot be completed, with no
    >>> explanation.
    >>>
    >>> I've given up for the time being, but would be grateful if someone
    >>> can cast sopme light on this.
    >>>
    >>> cw

    >> what other anti-virus programs do you have installed?
    >> any other scanners?
    >> -max
    >>

    > I did have Norton AV before which I uninstalled through Windows. I
    > also had AVG, but I did a complete uninstall of that before trying to
    > run Avast. However, I understand that both of these programs leave
    > residue files, and it's not immediately obvious how to completely rid
    > one's computer of this stuff.
    >
    > cw

    Try this:
    http://freeweb.siol.net/razor256/downloads/avast_external_control.zip